Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi all, I have an interview for a VS but after reading over my application, I have realised my phone number is incorrect by one digit.

It is really stressing me out. I can't stop thinking that as soon as I mention it, that's my chance of securing the VS out the window... why would they give someone a VS if their attention to detail is so poor they can't enter their own phone number correctly???

What would any of you advise me do? The only contact details I have with the firm is the HR partner who is conducting my interview :(
Nothing to worry about here.

Just notify them at the interview that your contact details need to be updated/corrected.

TC4me

Aug 3, 2020
Hi all,
I’m preparing for a question about a recent news article that I’ve read or have been interested in . When discussing the article, how much depth is required for the article description (do I need to state the date, site the article title etc and author). Also I’m thinking of talking about cyber security breaches in light of covid, is this a good idea? Does anyone have any suggestions for making strong points or research ideas?

SH414

Jan 26, 2020
So yesterday I was offered a TC with my dream firm after 3 years of applications and around 40 different rejections, and I just thought I would post on here as living proof that a PFO doesn’t mean that you’re not good enough! Keep going people! 🎉

Also big thanks to all those on here for all the advice/motivation. Has been so helpful to me to know that everyone in this process feels the same.

Last edited:

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi all,
I’m preparing for a question about a recent news article that I’ve read or have been interested in . When discussing the article, how much depth is required for the article description (do I need to state the date, site the article title etc and author). Also I’m thinking of talking about cyber security breaches in light of covid, is this a good idea? Does anyone have any suggestions for making strong points or research ideas?
It isn’t really the article as such, it’s the story behind it they care about.

Therefore, citing specific details like it’s date isn’t really relevant. What they want from you is your analysis and opinion of the story in the article, and potentially an opinion on how the article is written. For instance, you just basically summarising/reciting the article is a basic level. What they really want from you is to form your own opinion and analysis on the matter.

So think about the causes and effects. Think about how this may influence things in the future, more than factual references alone.

Reactions: em311 and FM302989

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
So yesterday I was offered a TC with my dream firm after 3 years of applications and around 40 different rejections, and I just thought I would post on here as living proof that a PFO don’t mean that you’re not good enough! Keep going people! 🎉
Congratulations!

Reactions: SH414

Adrian_S

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
Jan 13, 2021
So yesterday I was offered a TC with my dream firm after 3 years of applications and around 40 different rejections, and I just thought I would post on here as living proof that a PFO don’t mean that you’re not good enough! Keep going people! 🎉

Also big thanks to all those on here for all the advice/motivation. Has been so helpful to me to know that everyone in this process feels the same.
That is excellent! So glad you persevered.

Reactions: SH414

sparky10

Star Member
Feb 12, 2021
Pretty relaxed, just like they were having a conversation getting to know you. I don't think I got it because I'm trying to manage expectations and gave 1 or 2 answers that in hindsight weren't too great, but good experience regardless.
Oh really positive to hear that it was almost like an informal chat. I have mine in a couple of weeks. How did you find it being online?

I wish you the best of luck! If it is any consolation, the job interviews / vac scheme interviews I walked out feeling like I performed poorly in, ended up being the ones I got, and the ones I felt I had done well in, I never did. It is strange how it all works.

Celestie

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
2020 Community Winner
  • Nov 14, 2020
    So yesterday I was offered a TC with my dream firm after 3 years of applications and around 40 different rejections, and I just thought I would post on here as living proof that a PFO doesn’t mean that you’re not good enough! Keep going people! 🎉

I barely know you but I am so happy for you. Live your best life and CELEBRATE! 🥂

Jxmxs00

Premium Member
    Jan 21, 2021
    Oh really positive to hear that it was almost like an informal chat. I have mine in a couple of weeks. How did you find it being online?

I wish you the best of luck! If it is any consolation, the job interviews / vac scheme interviews I walked out feeling like I performed poorly in, ended up being the ones I got, and the ones I felt I had done well in, I never did. It is strange how it all works.
    Thanks, that's good to hear. At the time I felt I did well and had a good rapport with them, now I've had time to think about some of my answers I'm less confident haha. Just make sure you know everything about yourself and your CV. They'll be a few curveballs and some questions where you think "wow that's out of left field" but just remain calm, as I guess they're trying to see how you cope under pressure.

It was totally fine online. Make sure they send you the Teams like by the day of the interview because I didnt get mine until 10 mins before which made for a very panicked call to GR!

Is yours for TC?

Jacob Miller

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Team
  • Feb 15, 2020
    Hi all,
    As Jess has already mentioned, focus here on analysis rather than descriptive stuff - small things of no consequence like date and author are immaterial. I discuss different response structures to a question like this in some amount of detail in my recent article: https://www.thecorporatelawacademy....w-firm-interviews-monday-article-series.3286/

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.