2020-21 Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andrew M

Legendary Member
Forum Winner
Jan 7, 2020
Just wondering how many firms per cycle most people apply to? Been applying for a while now with good academics and work experience and not getting many ACs at all. Feels impossible!
As many as you are able to, whilst putting in the level of effort and detail that each individual application needs. It is a numbers game, to some extent, but there's really not much point if you don't know enough about the firm to make the application stand out!

When you say that you're not getting ACs - are your rejections coming mainly from the application or from tests/VIs?

Reactions: Deleted member 8599

CareerChanger

Valued Member
Junior Lawyer
  • Jan 5, 2021
    Good luck to everyone this week!
    Good Vibes GIF by Cavan Infante

Law200

Standard Member
    Apr 19, 2019
    Hi- yes that’s very true!! If I even manage to get to VI I can usually pass but it’s making it past the application stage that I find hardest! I applied to maybe 12 and try to spend as much time on them as I can.
    As many as you are able to, whilst putting in the level of effort and detail that each individual application needs. It is a numbers game, to some extent, but there's really not much point if you don't know enough about the firm to make the application stand out!

When you say that you're not getting ACs - are your rejections coming mainly from the application or from tests/VIs?

Hello! I know that this question seems the easiest but it does confuse me a little bit. If any of you has any advice on how to approach this it will be much appreciated. My question is, do I respond with a time when I was in the best team (for example in a competition or project) or can I discuss something more general for example working in a restaurant and talk about the team. I hope this does make sense, I cannot think of some other way to explain it.
    Tell us about the best team you have ever been part of. In your answer, you should include details about your role in the team and the other team members, how you fostered strong working relationships and what you achieved together.

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
    Staff member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    Hello! I know that this question seems the easiest but it does confuse me a little bit. If any of you has any advice on how to approach this it will be much appreciated. My question is, do I respond with a time when I was in the best team (for example in a competition or project) or can I discuss something more general for example working in a restaurant and talk about the team. I hope this does make sense, I cannot think of some other way to explain it.
    Tell us about the best team you have ever been part of. In your answer, you should include details about your role in the team and the other team members, how you fostered strong working relationships and what you achieved together.

It can be any instance of working in a team as long as you are being specific. The key here is to think about why it was the best team (i.e. the diversity, the camaraderie, the bonds you built when you were struggling etc.).

GK8997

Legendary Member
    M&A Bootcamp
    Sep 25, 2020
    Hey guys, is anyone still waiting to hear back from Mayer Brown after completing the tests? I completed mine in December and still haven’t heard back!
    I think someone on the forum said they were in the same situation and when they emailed GR they said they've had so many apps and are currently still going through them all.

Reactions: AH97 and OEO

Legalmel_99

Legendary Member
    Jan 16, 2021
    Mayer Brown post TI PFO as well :( not entirely surprising as I did mine in mid December

Not feeling very optimistic about this cycle anymore :/ 30+ apps (I had the time), only 4 ACs and just waiting for a handful...
    4 ACs is amazing! It only takes one firm to say yeah and you still have firms to go don’t lose faith :)

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.