2020-21 Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

ofm

Distinguished Member
  • Jan 14, 2021
    Wondering if anyone else is in the same position as me?

I'm a non-law grad & trying to secure a training contract for 2023. I can't afford to pay for the GDL/LPC so hoping to get one this year so I can be sponsored by a firm. Terrified that if I don't get one this year I'll have to take the SQE (which I really don't want to do) because I won't be able to start the GDL before 31 Dec 2021.

Can anyone give me advice on loans for the GDL or anything else? Thank you!!

Reactions: cmaj

TiredPG

Star Member
    Forum Winner
    Jan 6, 2021
    I promise I will stop after this one because again I don't mean to get into a brawl. I am just passionate about age discrimination as something we seem to care less about than other issues.

A. If you think discrimination is wrong,
    B. If you think age is a protected characteristic,
    C. A policy like CC's that disadvantages older applicants (as I have shown before) is wrong.

I am claiming the morality is simple because I am sure most people would agree with A and B. So if C is true (as I've argued before) the morality is clear. And on that, we can quibble about the legality of C but the morality...I don't think so...

But again, this is getting a bit off track. I just wanted to point out discrimination not get into a fight here so apologies if I offended anyone and I hope some of you will have a think about this issue.
    Whilst I don't agree with their policy, I do not think that it's age discrimination.

Anyone can start a degree at any age; they are not filtering based on age, they're filtering based on when one started their degree. It is no different to other firms or companies having schemes for first years only, etc.

TiredPG

Star Member
    Forum Winner
    Jan 6, 2021
    Wondering if anyone else is in the same position as me?

I'm a non-law grad & trying to secure a training contract for 2023. I can't afford to pay for the GDL/LPC so hoping to get one this year so I can be sponsored by a firm. Terrified that if I don't get one this year I'll have to take the SQE (which I really don't want to do) because I won't be able to start the GDL before 31 Dec 2021.

Can anyone give me advice on loans for the GDL or anything else? Thank you!!
    You can do a GDL bundled with an LLM or just marketed as an LLM (or a two-year MA) - they are eligible for the PG loan which should cover a year's fees and keep you on the GDL/LPC path as far as I'm aware.

Reactions: AspiringSol and ofm

Jacob Miller

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Team
  • Feb 15, 2020
    I'm not personally going to weigh in on the whole CC thing, I don't think there's much constructive stuff that I can add!

I've seem a few people asking about Travers Smith - there was some discussion of this maybe last week and one forum user kindly mentioned that GR had informed them they were running approx 3 weeks behind schedule due to WFH etc, and that communications should start coming mid-end February. Hope this helps!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    I’m curious, how does the type of firm one hopes to train with have an impact on the choice between old route and SQE? Do you mean regional vs high street vs City etc?
    Sorry when I said "type of firm" it was used quite loosely.

I think you have to be aware that different firms are taking different approaches to the SQE training model. For instance, Reed Smith are taking an approach that you work and study part time while completing SQE 1 and 2 (in a combined masters qualification) and then do a typical "TC" model to gain your 2 years QWE. Kennedys are doing a 30 month job programme where you start working as a trainee from day one and are on study leave the equivalent of one day a week during that period to complete SQE 1 and 2. A consortium of city firms have basically just converted their LPC to a SQE course and their future trainees have to pass this before they can do a day's work.

Depending on which firms float your boat, you'll potentially have a different route than if you were focused on other firms.

• ℹ️
    Reactions: Staples

Lian Lian

Distinguished Member
    Feb 2, 2021
    Do you mind me asking when you completed your WG for Freshfields? I completed mine on the 7th of February, and my percentile was 93% and have not heard back yet, but have heard of people being invited to an AC who have scored lower than that!
    Hi, can I know how you found out what your percentile was? Is it possible to email the grad rec and ask for your WG results? I was not invited to an AC but I'd still love to know how I did in the WG.

KS94

Esteemed Member
    Junior Lawyer
  • Mar 21, 2018
    I have kept this to myself but now I am losing my mind.

I applied to DWF's Ethnic Minority Access Scheme via Aspiring Solicitors. I did not hear back and contacted them, turns out they did not receive my application. I responded and showed them the email confirmation that confirms the submission. Now the easy solution is to admit the mistake but no - AS are not responding to me.

Luckily, I applied directly to DWF and have received a VI invite from them.

The issue I now have is that the AS scheme's next stage in the process is DWF's application form question - which means I theoretically had a very good chance of making the final stage. If I go ahead with the VI and receive a rejection, I may not be accepted into the process by AS.

I am running out of options now that AS have not responded. Does anyone have any advice for me here?

missw01

Jan 28, 2021

I applied to DWF's Ethnic Minority Access Scheme via Aspiring Solicitors. I did not hear back and contacted them, turns out they did not receive my application. I responded and showed them the email confirmation that confirms the submission. Now the easy solution is to admit the mistake but no - AS are not responding to me.

The issue I now have is that the AS scheme's next stage in the process is DWF's application form question - which means I theoretically had a very good chance of making the final stage. If I go ahead with the VI and receive a rejection, I may not be accepted into the process by AS.

I am running out of options now that AS have not responded. Does anyone have any advice for me here?
    AS are at the interview stage now

Legalmel_99

Legendary Member
    Jan 16, 2021

I’m slightly confused is your VI for the Vac scheme at dwf? And if so, I’d focus on that i think AS are at the interview stage now

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.