2020-21 Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

KS94

Esteemed Member
Junior Lawyer
  • Mar 21, 2018
    Who is it at AS you've tried to reach and can't?

In the past, I've known people to have issues getting contact in similar situations from certain AS staff who have reached out to Chris White directly and had much better luck, he is generally very proactive.

Hi Jacob

I have sent multiple emails to their "work experience" email address and received no response.

I guess I could try Chris directly but I am wary of being perceived as a nuisance at this point.

Andrew M

Legendary Member
    Forum Winner
    Jan 7, 2020
    I have kept this to myself but now I am losing my mind.

I applied to DWF's Ethnic Minority Access Scheme via Aspiring Solicitors. I did not hear back and contacted them, turns out they did not receive my application. I responded and showed them the email confirmation that confirms the submission. Now the easy solution is to admit the mistake but no - AS are not responding to me.

Luckily, I applied directly to DWF and have received a VI invite from them.

The issue I now have is that the AS scheme's next stage in the process is DWF's application form question - which means I theoretically had a very good chance of making the final stage. If I go ahead with the VI and receive a rejection, I may not be accepted into the process by AS.

I am running out of options now that AS have not responded. Does anyone have any advice for me here?
    I had such a horrible experience with Aspiring Solicitors last year. A timetable change meant that I couldn't attend one of their events I had signed up to. I sent them an email a week or two before the actual event and got SUCH an abusive reply. That just completely put me off ever doing anything with them again.

• 🤝
    Reactions: Idlewild

bethbristol

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Oct 30, 2019
    For application-blind interviews (eg White & Case), is it generally expected that we don’t mention the name of my university when discussing experiences, extracurricular uni activities etc.
    I had an AC last year with W&C and there was nothing mentioned about not talking about your university at the start of the interview as that other firm did - although I would agree with Jessica and perhaps ask. If you are concerned about it causing bias then perhaps you are best just to leave it out!

Legal_rawn

Legendary Member
    Forum Winner
    Dec 21, 2019
    Hi Jacob

I have sent multiple emails to their "work experience" email address and received no response.

I guess I could try Chris directly but I am wary of being perceived as a nuisance at this point.
    Another alternative is to try Zoe Brown? I’ve spoken to her at multiple events and she’s really lovely

Celestie

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    2020 Community Winner
  • Nov 14, 2020
    I had such a horrible experience with Aspiring Solicitors last year. A timetable change meant that I couldn't attend one of their events I had signed up to. I sent them an email a week or two before the actual event and got SUCH an abusive reply. That just completely put me off ever doing anything with them again.
    Oh dear - what did they say?

Andrew M

Legendary Member
    Forum Winner
    Jan 7, 2020
    Oh dear - what did they say?
    Initially they said something along the lines of "as this is something you must have been aware of before now, we would have appreciated you emailing us earlier". When I pointed out that it was something that had just changed that week, they implied I was lying.

At the end of the day, I gave them plenty of notice to offer my place to somebody else if they so wished. The thing is, I'm a ULaw Representative at my University so I get it - it's annoying when people sign up for events and then cancel. But this just isn't how you speak to students.

KS94

Esteemed Member
    Junior Lawyer
  • Mar 21, 2018
    Initially they said something along the lines of "as this is something you must have been aware of before now, we would have appreciated you emailing us earlier". When I pointed out that it was something that had just changed that week, they implied I was lying.

At the end of the day, I gave them plenty of notice to offer my place to somebody else if they so wished. The thing is, I'm a ULaw Representative at my University so I get it - it's annoying when people sign up for events and then cancel. But this just isn't how you speak to students.

Not great.

One of the things I want to do if I get a TC is really work on improving communications between students and diversity initiatives.

It's a shame because work can become undone with responses like this from initiatives aiming to improve diversity.

Jacob Miller

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Team
  • Feb 15, 2020
    In re AS: I've personally undertaken one of their schemes, I know Chris somewhat well having done that and spoken to him sporadically a number of times. I think they're generally a great organisation doing great things for future lawyers. I've also always found Chris to be very pro-active and exceedingly helpful/ motivated. I've only had exceptionally limited conversations with other people from AS myself.

Although I've not experienced it myself, however, this isn't the first time I've heard of someone being given short shrift by other members of staff. Someone I know very well applied to attend one of their events, travelling from Scotland, and their head was very much bitten off by a member of the AS team when they asked a few questions about travel expenses and they were left pretty upset by it. This was in 2019, if my memory serves me. Maybe even 2018, I can't quite remember. The person then spoke to Chris who sorted it 100% properly and all was well, but it's clearly not been a one-off if someone else is alleging the same conduct.

Chance

• Nov 20, 2020
    In re AS: I've personally undertaken one of their schemes, I know Chris somewhat well having done that and spoken to him sporadically a number of times. I think they're generally a great organisation doing great things for future lawyers. I've also always found Chris to be very pro-active and exceedingly helpful/ motivated.

Although I've not experienced it myself, however, this isn't the first time I've heard of someone being given short shrift by other members of staff. Someone I know very well applied to attend one of their events, travelling from Scotland, and their head was very much bitten off by a member of the AS team when they asked a few questions about travel expenses and they were left pretty upset by it. This was in 2019, if my memory serves me. Maybe even 2018, I can't quite remember. The person then spoke to Chris who sorted it 100% properly and all was well, but it's clearly not been a one-off if someone else is alleging the same conduct.

Also had a bad experience. Slightly annoying bc as working class students we already have imposters syndrome. TCLA has rebuilt a lot of confidence tho!

whisperingrock

Legendary Member
    Forum Winner
  • Sep 12, 2020
    Also had a bad experience. Slightly annoying bc as working class students we already have imposters syndrome. TCLA has rebuilt a lot of confidence tho!
    Same here. Got chewed out for not attending an event even though the power went out in my town for a full day. Sorry I couldn't unfuck the electric AS.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.