Ask A Graduate Recruiter Anything!

Sam55

Esteemed Member
Jan 28, 2020
Hi Jessica,

I hope you're well! I just wanted to ask, what kind of grades do firms look for in the GDL? I understand that the undergraduate degree is the most important thing but I'd be interested to know what grades would be considered to be a negative on an application and what grades would 'add' to the application if that makes sense? Is it fairly similar to undergrad where you want at least a mid-high 2:1?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi @Jessica Booker,

Would really appreciate your views on this:

I’m a final year law student in my first application cycle. If I don’t get a TC this year I’m not sure what do next.

If I spend the next year/s in a different job (hopefully legal or finance-related) to build up experience and strengthen my position before entering my second application window (Sep 2021), rather than doing the LPC, would this put me at a disadvantage? Would firms still sponsor me if I end up taking the LPC a few years down the line (if I secure a TC with them then)?

Thanks,
No I don’t think that would put you at a disadvantage at all. Firms will still sponsor you if you haven’t started the course (assuming the provide sponsorship) and some even retrospectively pay back your LPC fees too.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi Jessica,

I hope you're well! I just wanted to ask, what kind of grades do firms look for in the GDL? I understand that the undergraduate degree is the most important thing but I'd be interested to know what grades would be considered to be a negative on an application and what grades would 'add' to the application if that makes sense? Is it fairly similar to undergrad where you want at least a mid-high 2:1?
Unfortunately there is no set answer to this. Some firms will have a more stringent GDL requirement, especially if they ask their future trainees to obtain that grade. Others won’t care that much at all.

I think failing modules is more of an issue than low grades, but purely where there is a higher risk you might not pass the LPC.

Generally though I’d say firms are less concerned than your undergrad degree. But how your GDL grades are viewed is very much going to depend on the rest of your academic profile and also which firm you are applying to.

Reactions: Sam55

Sam55

Esteemed Member
Jan 28, 2020
Unfortunately there is no set answer to this. Some firms will have a more stringent GDL requirement, especially if they ask their future trainees to obtain that grade. Others won’t care that much at all.

I think failing modules is more of an issue than low grades, but purely where there is a higher risk you might not pass the LPC.

Generally though I’d say firms are less concerned than your undergrad degree. But how your GDL grades are viewed is very much going to depend on the rest of your academic profile and also which firm you are applying to.
Thanks! What would be considered a more stringent requirement? Do any firms expect a distinction?

hopefullawyer123

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Nov 25, 2020
Hi @Jessica Booker , I hope you are well. I’ve been invited to complete a telephone interview with a firm. If successful, I will be invited to an AC. I have applied for the VS, but in hindsight I could have applied for the direct TC. For example, I already have legal experience. Should I say something to the graduate recruitment team about considering me for a TC? If so, should I do so once I hear back from the TI or should I do so now, before the TI? I’m really happy to have come so far and don’t want to ruin my chances by asking them to consider me for a TC if this will make me look bad.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi @Jessica Booker , I hope you are well. I’ve been invited to complete a telephone interview with a firm. If successful, I will be invited to an AC. I have applied for the VS, but in hindsight I could have applied for the direct TC. For example, I already have legal experience. Should I say something to the graduate recruitment team about considering me for a TC? If so, should I do so once I hear back from the TI or should I do so now, before the TI? I’m really happy to have come so far and don’t want to ruin my chances by asking them to consider me for a TC if this will make me look bad.
Can you not do the vac scheme?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
I have just discovered that the dates of the VS for the firm clash with the dates of another VS I have already been successful in gaining. How do I go about explaining this to Grad Recruitment?
As simply as that. You have secured another VS, you still want to an opportunity to be considered at the firm though, so can you be converted to either another vacation scheme date (if appropriate) or a TC process.

Be ready for the firm to say no though, and for you to have to withdraw your application.

Reactions: hopefullawyer123

hopefullawyer123

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Nov 25, 2020
As simply as that. You have secured another VS, you still want to an opportunity to be considered at the firm though, so can you be converted to either another vacation scheme date (if appropriate) or a TC process.

Be ready for the firm to say no though, and for you to have to withdraw your application.

Many thanks. Would it come across to the graduate recruitment unfavourably to inform them that I already have a VS elsewhere? If so, I could always give another reason for wanting to be considered for a TC. Also, should I want until after the telephone interview so that they can get to know more about me before making this point?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Many thanks. Would it come across to the graduate recruitment unfavourably to inform them that I already have a VS elsewhere? If so, I could always give another reason for wanting to be considered for a TC. Also, should I want until after the telephone interview so that they can get to know more about me before making this point?
Let’s be frank, it’s not really what the way want to hear - that you prefer another firm. But this is the downside of being in a strong position and being considered by multiple firms - you get to choose.

I wouldn’t try to make up excuses why you can’t be considered - it will come out anyway that you did a VS with other firms at some point, so why bother lying to them? That isn’t a good look.

You should contact them now rather than post telephone interview. You could be wasting everyone’s time otherwise (which won’t be popular).

Paaris

• Dec 18, 2020
    Hi Jessica
    I am currently starting an application for direct TC and one of the questions asks "Describe a time when you had to be careful talking about sensitive information. How did you do it?"

I just wanted to see what the question is getting at? Is it literally just asking how I deal with sensitive/confidential information? Assuming law firms deal with sensitive information so they are assessing I would handle classified or sensitive info.
    And can "talking about" mean written as well as verbal?
    Apologies if this is a bit silly of me to ask. I am a bit stuck!🙈

hopefullawyer123

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Nov 25, 2020
    Let’s be frank, it’s not really what the way want to hear - that you prefer another firm. But this is the downside of being in a strong position and being considered by multiple firms - you get to choose.

I wouldn’t try to make up excuses why you can’t be considered - it will come out anyway that you did a VS with other firms at some point, so why bother lying to them? That isn’t a good look.

You should contact them now rather than post telephone interview. You could be wasting everyone’s time otherwise (which won’t be popular).

Thank you! I followed your advice and emailed them this afternoon explaining the situation

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi @Jessica Booker if I’m entitled to extra time in exams, is this something to mention before an assessment centre ? Not sure whether it’s something they can adjust for ? Many thanks!
    For things like case studies or written exercises, it would be quite normal for you to receive the same adjustment in reading/writing time as you would have in an academic exam, so it should be something you request and that most firms will factor in.

I’d be surprised if a firm didn’t make that adjustment (although they are entitled to decline it if they can prove it is unreasonable). Just give them as much notice as possible - I have had people tell me on the day of the assessment that they need it and I haven’t had the time to adjust the schedule accordingly and have declined an adjustment where the request is unreasonable where it is too late to implement it.

Reactions: Lawgirl123

Lawgirl123

Legendary Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Jun 22, 2020
    For things like case studies or written exercises, it would be quite normal for you to receive the same adjustment in reading/writing time as you would have in an academic exam, so it should be something you request and that most firms will factor in.

I’d be surprised if a firm didn’t make that adjustment (although they are entitled to decline it if they can prove it is unreasonable). Just give them as much notice as possible - I have had people tell me on the day of the assessment that they need it and I haven’t had the time to adjust the schedule accordingly and have declined an adjustment where the request is unreasonable where it is too late to implement it.
    Thank you this is really helpful. Also for an interview question asking 'what skills do you think a good trainee here would possess' or similar do you think it is necessary to link it back to myself and where I have shown these skills? Thanks!

Legalmel_99

Legendary Member
    Jan 16, 2021
    Hi @Jessica Booker :)

Firms tend to asks about a news story I’ve got an AC coming up so I’ve picked a big employment deal the firm won but i don’t know how to discuss why that’s good for the firm?

Other than it will increase there reputation

(although it’s a big firm and they already have a well known reputation) do you have an insight into what they would be looking for in this type of question?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Thank you this is really helpful. Also for an interview question asking 'what skills do you think a good trainee here would possess' or similar do you think it is necessary to link it back to myself and where I have shown these skills? Thanks!
    Ideally yes. But you don’t need to go into full STAR format answers for each skill

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi @Jessica Booker :)

Firms tend to asks about a news story I’ve got an AC coming up so I’ve picked a big employment deal the firm won but i don’t know how to discuss why that’s good for the firm?

Other than it will increase there reputation

(although it’s a big firm and they already have a well known reputation) do you have an insight into what they would be looking for in this type of question?
    They are just looking for genuine interest in the subject matters you would be working with, and some analysis as to why the situation happened, what influenced it and how it may impact future work.

Reactions: Legalmel_99

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.