Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
I know some firms do let their paralegals do Vac Schemes as part of their annual leave but it would obviously be firm dependant.

It might be worth asking to start the paralegal role a week later? I would probably at least try that.
Some will - but you’ll most likely have to go through two sets of compliance checks, so many times it is not even down to your employer alone either.

That would have been my advice really, delay your start date or have got the two days signed off before signing the contract.

Reactions: tractor12

A12345

Dec 18, 2018
It is by no means ideal.

Is it a permanent paralegal role, fixed term contract or temp role?

My concern is more that you may not be able to do the vacation schemes anyway, as depending on when you are working to, there is a significant chance your employer will give you time off to work for another law firm.

Is there any chance the two firms you have ACs with could offer you a later date? I personally wouldn’t take two days off less than two weeks into starting a new job unless I had asked for those days off prior to signing the contract.

Thank you for your reply! So it's a permanent role.

With regards to letting me work in another firm for the vacation scheme, I assume this will be stated in the contract? And if the contract doesn't refer to it, then am i good?

What if I delayed my interview that's coming up next week to late march? And then I only take 1 day off on the 9th and then another on the 26th march potentially? Would that be slightly better? I understand it might create a bad first impression, but I'm willing to work really hard to make up for it!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Thank you for your reply! So it's a permanent role.

With regards to letting me work in another firm for the vacation scheme, I assume this will be stated in the contract? And if the contract doesn't refer to it, then am i good?

What if I delayed my interview that's coming up next week to late march? And then I only take 1 day off on the 9th and then another on the 26th march potentially? Would that be slightly better? I understand it might create a bad first impression, but I'm willing to work really hard to make up for it!
Even more tricky where this is a permanent role then....

Might be in your contract but will also be in any HR policies you may find on the firm’s staff intranet. Just because it isn’t in your contract doesn’t mean much unfortunately if it is stated in an internal policy document.

That would be slightly better but can you delay the AC first? And have you asked for at least one day off yet from your employer?

A12345

Dec 18, 2018
Thank you! Once I gain access, I'll have a look through the intranet and see if it's part of their policy! Thank you for pointing this out to me! Hopefully, it will be okay!

I think some later dates are available for the AC but will have to double-check this! I am actually due to start this week, so I haven't actually talked about taking days off!

Thank you very much for your time!

futuretraineesolicitor

Legendary Member
Forum Winner
Dec 14, 2019
Hello, @Jessica Booker hope you are doing well. I am going to apply to CC, FBD AND Links. My question is, FBD doesn't follow a lockstep model but CC and Links do. I'm applying to these three firms because of my practice area preference but it just so happens that Links and CC follow a lockstep model but FBD doesn't. Is this inconsistency something to worry about?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Thank you! Once I gain access, I'll have a look through the intranet and see if it's part of their policy! Thank you for pointing this out to me! Hopefully, it will be okay!

I think some later dates are available for the AC but will have to double-check this! I am actually due to start this week, so I haven't actually talked about taking days off!

Thank you very much for your time!
If you agreed to the AC after you knew your start date with the firm, then I’d definitely move them.

Be prepared for your employer to say you can’t take time off so quickly though.

• 🤝
Reactions: A12345

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hello, @Jessica Booker hope you are doing well. I am going to apply to CC, FBD AND Links. My question is, FBD doesn't follow a lockstep model but CC and Links do. I'm applying to these three firms because of my practice area preference but it just so happens that Links and CC follow a lockstep model but FBD doesn't. Is this inconsistency something to worry about?
No - remuneration method at partner level is not usually a major factor that would influence someone joining as a trainee.

• ℹ️
Reactions: futuretraineesolicitor

LegalNim

Legendary Member
Nov 14, 2019
Hi @Jessica Booker
If I secure a training contract with a 2023 start but would prefer to start in 2022, I know firms will often facilitate people to jump ahead if they have people pull out or fail the LPC or have spaces for whatever reason. How would I broach with a firm the idea of starting early? Would it reflect badly to say that my motivation is that I loathe my current job with the power of thousand suns? (with some more professional phraseology).
Thanks

Last edited:

Daniel Boden

Legendary Member
Trainee
Highest Rated Member
  • Sep 6, 2018
    Hi @Jessica Booker
    If I secure a vacation scheme with a 2023 start but would prefer to start in 2022, I know firms will often facilitate people to jump ahead if they have people pull out or fail the LPC or have spaces for whatever reason. How would I broach with a firm the idea of starting early? Would it reflect badly to say that my motivation is that I loathe my current job with the power of thousand suns? (with some more professional phraseology).
    Thanks
    Assume you mean you secured a TC with 2023 start?

whisperingrock

Legendary Member
    Forum Winner
  • Sep 12, 2020
    Hi @Jessica Booker
    If I secure a vacation scheme with a 2023 start but would prefer to start in 2022, I know firms will often facilitate people to jump ahead if they have people pull out or fail the LPC or have spaces for whatever reason. How would I broach with a firm the idea of starting early? Would it reflect badly to say that my motivation is that I loathe my current job with the power of thousand suns? (with some more professional phraseology).
    Thanks
    You'd just tell the firm when you've accepted the offer. You don't have to give a reason besides availability. I wouldn't shit talk your current employer.

However, between Covid and Brexit a lot of firms aren't going to be willing or able to push you forward and you might be several people down on a waitlist.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi @Jessica Booker
    Thanks
    Do you mean TC rather than VS? I haven’t heard of firms recruiting VS placements so far in advance unless you are not eligible to start a TC until much later

LegalNim

Legendary Member
    Nov 14, 2019
    You'd just tell the firm when you've accepted the offer. You don't have to give a reason besides availability. I wouldn't shit talk your current employer.

However, between Covid and Brexit a lot of firms aren't going to be willing or able to push you forward and you might be several people down on a waitlist.
    Thanks. To be clear, I adore my employer - I just hate my job. It's a non-legal job and just does not suit me at all. Love my colleagues, love my employer, love everyone around me - dear LORD I hate my job though.

• 🤝
    Reactions: whisperingrock

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi @Jessica Booker
    If I secure a training contract with a 2023 start but would prefer to start in 2022, I know firms will often facilitate people to jump ahead if they have people pull out or fail the LPC or have spaces for whatever reason. How would I broach with a firm the idea of starting early? Would it reflect badly to say that my motivation is that I loathe my current job with the power of thousand suns? (with some more professional phraseology).
    Thanks
    Always avoid any negativity in your application. The point back to you is that there are other options available between staying in a job you hate and starting a new job a year later than you’d hope.

Bring it up at interview when you are asked questions. Phrase it in a way that is “if there is an opportunity to start earlier, I’d be keen to take it, but would use the time doing X or Y if I did have time out before starting a TC with you”.

Daniel Boden

Legendary Member
    Trainee
    Highest Rated Member
  • Sep 6, 2018
    Yes, sorry. Completely what I meant. I just can't even at the moment apparently. It's not even funny anymore haha.
    Haha dw but yes some firms are amenable to you starting earlier if they have spaces! Just mention it at interview saying that you would be very happy to start earlier than the advertised intake if it would be possible :)

LegalNim

Legendary Member
    Nov 14, 2019
    Haha dw but yes some firms are amenable to you starting earlier if they have spaces! Just mention it at interview saying that you would be very happy to start earlier than the advertised intake if it would be possible :)
    Always avoid any negativity in your application. The point back to you is that there are other options available between staying in a job you hate and starting a new job a year later than you’d hope.

Bring it up at interview when you are asked questions. Phrase it in a way that is “if there is an opportunity to start earlier, I’d be keen to take it, but would use the time doing X or Y if I did have time out before starting a TC with you”.
    Thank you - I will do. I honestly can't express how helpful this forum is. I have an AC this week for a 2022 TC start anyway so fingers crossed I get that but, if not, I'll ask at interview and hope for the best. Let's be honest, if I get a 2023 TC then there's a 0% chance I'll be complaining about anything ever again so I'll more than cope with doing my job until then. Just hoping beyond hope for an offer this cycle!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Thank you - I will do. I honestly can't express how helpful this forum is. I have an AC this week for a 2022 TC start anyway so fingers crossed I get that but, if not, I'll ask at interview and hope for the best. Let's be honest, if I get a 2023 TC then there's a 0% chance I'll be complaining about anything ever again so I'll more than cope with doing my job until then. Just hoping beyond hope for an offer this cycle!
    You are thinking of joining a law firm - trust me there will be plenty to complain about no matter which firm you join (to be brutally honest!).

FL0011

Standard Member
    Sep 9, 2020
    Hi @Jessica Booker! I have recently been offered a TC at a MC firm (the offer expires in August) and a Summer VS at another MC firm (and I have one more interview at a US firm). I want to take part in the VS and do the interview to make the most informed decision about where to train, but I am worried that if I am not quick enough to accept the TC, they will take back the offer. Can this happen?

Should I also let the firm know I am thinking of waiting to accept?

thank you! 😊

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi @Jessica Booker! I have recently been offered a TC at a MC firm (the offer expires in August) and a Summer VS at another MC firm (and I have one more interview at a US firm). I want to take part in the VS and do the interview to make the most informed decision about where to train, but I am worried that if I am not quick enough to accept the TC, they will take back the offer. Can this happen?

Should I also let the firm know I am thinking of waiting to accept?

thank you! 😊
    No - your offer is until August. They won’t renege the offer, it will just expire if you don’t accept/decline by the date stated.

You can let the firm know if you want to but you don’t have to. They understand people in your position are unlikely to accept until August if they have multiple options.

• ℹ️
    Reactions: Daniel Boden and FL0011

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.