Why me in a cover letter

S87

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Sep 4, 2018
Guys I am writing down my answer to why me. Could you give me your feedback?

I am determined and tenacious: coming from a different country, I had to dedicate more hours to study. This allowed me to do well academically, obtaining the highest mark in my Grammar Dictation exam after having lived in Italy for only two years and being awarded three prizes for reading and writing. This is something I built upon when undertaking my GCSE and A-Level equivalents. Alongside my studies, I attended English classes from the age of ten. My dedication to improving my English resulted in me passing the English tests to study for a term in Ireland at the age of seventeen and later going on to secure a place at university in London.

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
Staff member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    I'm not a fan of the first sentence, but the rest is great.

I assume this is just the first paragraph/the beginning of a "why me?" answer?

Hazal

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Sep 25, 2018
    Since the rest is great, some advice for the first sentence:

the fact that you came from a different country doesn't mean you need to dedicate hours to study. The two sort of don't follow on from each other (since some people come from afar and have brilliant English. You could maybe mention at what point in your life you came over). It might make more sense to explain just a little bit your circumstances. i.e. "as I started my studies in England later than others, my English was at a disadvantage..." then explain a little more, then follow on to what you did (as you do in the rest of the passage).

But well done on making the rest sound like you actually did put hard work in.

Last edited:
    Reactions: Jaysen and Daniel Boden

S87

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Sep 4, 2018
    Since the rest is great, some advice for the first sentence:

the fact that you came from a different country doesn't mean you need to dedicate hours to study. The two sort of don't follow on from each other (since some people come from afar and have brilliant English. Nor do you mention at what point in your life you came over). It might make more sense to explain just a little bit your circumstances. i.e. "as I started my studies in England later than others, my English was at a disadvantage..." then explain a little more, then follow on to what you did (as you do in the rest of the passage).

But well done on making the rest sound like you actually did put hard work in.

Well actually, I had to put more efforts because I was adopted and arrived in Italy at the age of four. It does sound like an effort because after two years I was on the top of the first-year class both in grammar and reading. I did some efforts believe me..nothing was served to me!!

Last edited:

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
    Staff member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    Well actually, I had to put more efforts because I was adopted and arrived in Italy at the age of four. It does sound like an effort because after two years I was on the top of the first-year class both in grammar and reading. I did some efforts believe me..nothing was served to me!!

I agree with Hazal. The mere fact that you came from a different country doesn't mean you had to dedicate more hours to study. Note - this is not to say that you didn't have to, just that the way you have phrased it makes it sound as if it naturally follows on from the fact. Hazal has suggested some helpful ways you can make this clearer.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.