Status
Not open for further replies.

layk

Legendary Member
M&A Bootcamp
Junior Lawyer
Jul 16, 2019
PFO from Withers today!
I think my applications were immensely better this year, but just not quite to the standard they needed to be at. Just out of curiosity, for those people who have gone from no AC invites in one cycle to multiple AC invites in the next, how did you manage to improve your applications without direct feedback from the firms? And is it worth applying for a firm's TC if I've been rejected for a vac scheme?
I just got my PFO from them too and weirdly, I got to interview last cycle but not this time round. Maybe the competition was a lot fiercer this year :)

Matt_96

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
  • Dec 15, 2018
    I just got my PFO from them too and weirdly, I got to interview last cycle but not this time round. Maybe the competition was a lot fiercer this year :)

I think this cycle has arguably been more competitive for everyone tbh. But it could depend on the firm - some don't like you to reapply after interview. I know that over the summer I was gutted to learn after my (failed) direct TC interview with Macfarlanes that they would not allow me to reapply again for at least 3 years. Really nice people and good feedback though.

Reactions: John Travoni

Dheepa

Legendary Member
    Staff member
    Future Trainee
    TCLA Moderator
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    M&A Bootcamp
    Junior Lawyer 43
  • Jan 20, 2019
    @Dheepa @Jacob Miller @Daniel Boden @Naomi U @Alice G

For an AC/Interview, where does my commercial awareness need to be? To be specific, are there things I should definitely know about instead of being able to talk about my interests?

This leads me to my follow up question, what can one do in terms of commercial awareness in anticipation of an interview/AC - I have some firms in the works and I hope to have an AC/Interview for any or all of them. Im not saying I will get it but I am so worried that I want to start prepping my commercial awareness/knowledge now rather than after getting the invitation for the AC/interview. What can I do?

For more context, If I get the ACs, they will include a written exercise, partner/associate interview, presentation and negotiation.

Thank you

You've already been given some great advice and there's really not much else I can add. Just wanted to recommend a podcast I recently came across on Spotify called Business Wars. Essentially it tracks the competition between some of the most prominent companies operating at the moment. My personal favourites I've listened to so far are on Uber vs Lyft, Dating Wars (on Bumble, Tinder etc.), Tik Tok vs Instagram and Amazon vs Walmart. I think it gives a good insight into how these business differ in terms of operating models, strategies, USPs that kind of thing. Also gives you a good basis to better understand some of the other acquisitions etc that companies in similar industries then make.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.