2020-21 Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

leolegal

Distinguished Member
Dec 23, 2020
It's the part I'm also struggling with.

Here's a taster:

(Note: this is a practice question which everyone who received the VI has access to)

----
We recently completed a survey to learn more about our employees’ personalities. We received 284 responses, with the attached results.

Demo AIN

OpennessConscientiousness Extraversion Agreeableness Neuroticism
Curious 73%Organised94%Energetic45%Friendly 68%Nervous24%
Cautious 27%Careless6%Reserved55%Challenging 32%Confident76%

Please can you let me know how many employees are categorised into Agreeableness (Friendly) and Openness (Cautious) together.

*The percentages are approx. values, so please round employee numbers to the nearest whole number.

----
Ok just did this (because why not) and I got 61.

Anyone else?

Lumree

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Highest Rated Member
Junior Lawyer
  • Jan 17, 2019
    @sebli12 congrats on the AC! I just want to check if you’ve received the VI/test invite others just received or a different invite?

Gateley’s process is confusing me a bit as the website doesn’t mention VI/Tests, just the AC. I appreciate they’ve likely made some changes because of COVID but interested to know!

Zay

Star Member
    Oct 28, 2018
    Hi guys, does anyone have any advice for video interview round with grad team at BCLP for Summer VS?
    This is literally my last shot before having to go back to my home country so I’d greatly appreciate your help!! 😭
    Hey, congrats! Im happy to provide some advice on this- just DM me ☺️

J32

Valued Member
    Future Trainee
    Apr 4, 2019
    random question, does anyone actually know what debevoise is strong at? I didn’t apply because I was under the impression its very litigation/international arbitration heavy but their NYC corporate practice is one of the best and they have a huge PE client-base, does that extend to London?

Debevoise are very strong in litigation/ arbitration, Corporate PE and Investment Funds in London. They tend to work with a lot of non-US/ emerging markets focused funds.

However, alongside these practices, in the US they are extremely strong in Corporate M&A and Leveraged Finance. In terms of PE, they regularly advise the likes of Blackstone, Carlyle etc on buyouts. From what I've read, there's a lot of collaboration between their offices, so I imagine London-based lawyers get to work on matters related to the firm's US strengths.

Just sharing my thoughts - hope this helps :)

Last edited:

els124

Distinguished Member
    Sep 26, 2020
    It's the part I'm also struggling with.

Here's a taster:

(Note: this is a practice question which everyone who received the VI has access to)

----
    We recently completed a survey to learn more about our employees’ personalities. We received 284 responses, with the attached results.

Demo AIN

OpennessConscientiousness Extraversion Agreeableness Neuroticism
    Curious 73%Organised94%Energetic45%Friendly 68%Nervous24%
    Cautious 27%Careless6%Reserved55%Challenging 32%Confident76%

Please can you let me know how many employees are categorised into Agreeableness (Friendly) and Openness (Cautious) together.

*The percentages are approx. values, so please round employee numbers to the nearest whole number.

----

It looks to me like the headings in the table have shifted. So you if you look at the first column, you see that of the people who got "openness", 73% were curious and 27% were cautious. So you take 27% of the 26% who got "openness".
    Then you have to look at the fourth column, agreeableness, and that should be above the boxes "friendly" and "challenging". You take the 68% of people who friendly who were classified as agreeable.
    Then you add the two together: (0.27 x 0.26) + (0.68 x 0.21) = (0.0702) + (0.1428) = 0.213. That's 21.3% of all employees, so 21.3% of 284, which is 60.49, so the answer should be 60.
    (I think - I'm not brilliant at Maths though haha)

F1_Legal

Distinguished Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Oct 16, 2020
    It looks to me like the headings in the table have shifted. So you if you look at the first column, you see that of the people who got "openness", 73% were curious and 27% were cautious. So you take 27% of the 26% who got "openness".
    Then you have to look at the fourth column, agreeableness, and that should be above the boxes "friendly" and "challenging". You take the 68% of people who friendly who were classified as agreeable.
    Then you add the two together: (0.27 x 0.26) + (0.68 x 0.21) = (0.0702) + (0.1428) = 0.213. That's 21.3% of all employees, so 21.3% of 284, which is 60.49, so the answer should be 60.
    (I think - I'm not brilliant at Maths though haha)
    I got 60.49 as well using a slightly different method. But 60.49 people might actually round up to 61 though, cuz you can't have half a person, so you round up regardless

Reactions: Daniel Boden

Edward

Star Member
    Aug 11, 2018
    @sebli12 congrats on the AC! I just want to check if you’ve received the VI/test invite others just received or a different invite?

Gateley’s process is confusing me a bit as the website doesn’t mention VI/Tests, just the AC. I appreciate they’ve likely made some changes because of COVID but interested to know!
    Yes, that is right. It was saying a half-day assessment only. But now?

leolegal

Distinguished Member
    Dec 23, 2020
    Minus points because you didn't show your working ;)
    For anyone wondering, this is how I came to 61:

1. First find % from pie chart
    2. Find % from table

Agreeableness - 284 x 0.21 = 59.64 (60 rounded up)

Out of the 284 responses, 60 fell into this category

Friendly - 60 x 0.68 = 40.8 (41 rounded up)

Out of the 60 responses, 41 were both agreeableness and friendly

Openness - 284 x 0.26 = 73.84 (74 rounded up)

Out of the 284 responses, 74 fell into this category

Cautious - 74 x 0.27 = 19.98 (20 rounded up)

Out of the 74 responses, 20 were both openness and cautious

All together - 41 + 20 = 61

Daniel Boden

Legendary Member
    Trainee
    Highest Rated Member
  • Sep 6, 2018

2. Find % from table

Gold Star for you haha

Happy Super Star GIF by joeyahlbum

• Haha
    Reactions: KS94 and leolegal

whisperingrock

Legendary Member
    Forum Winner
  • Sep 12, 2020

2. Find % from table

The only difference between those getting 60 and those getting 61 is when they rounded. Which now that I've seen both methods I don't think either are wrong and I'm side eyeing how the question was phrased.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.