2020-21 Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

AspiringSol

Esteemed Member
Future Trainee
Junior Lawyer 6
Nov 9, 2020
Does anyone know whether firms look at your GDL grade or do you just need to pass?
i think it really depends on the firm bc i know some like DLA Piper ask for commendations despite not having any other academic requirements but a lot of others including ones which usually ask for high grades like S&M just ask for a pass on the first attempt

Reactions: GR

Soriginal234

Star Member
Dec 31, 2020
For Shoosmiths application question - Describe why you want to be a trainee solicitor at Shoosmiths?

For this question do I have to discuss why commercial .law and why Shoosmiths or do I just discuss why Shoosmiths.

Thank you in advance guys.
Hi I did their app a year ago and got through to their AC.
I talked about why them. However since they are a commercial firm, this will end up factoring into your answer anyway - at least it did with mine. Hope this helps.

• Love
  • ℹ️
Reactions: Legalmel_99 and Asil Ahmad

PF'noooo!

Star Member
Jan 19, 2021
Has anyone completed a written exercise/assessment for Stephenson Harwood and know whether this is part of their AC or another stage in the process that needs to be passed before being invited to an AC?

• 🏆
Reactions: OB

Asil Ahmad

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Forum Winner
  • Mar 29, 2020
    Hi I did their app a year ago and got through to their AC.
    I talked about why them. However since they are a commercial firm, this will end up factoring into your answer anyway - at least it did with mine. Hope this helps.
    Thank you very much for this. I was going to discuss about the firm, but when I applied for Kennedys their application question was similar which I had to discuss why commercial so just wanted to make sure I don't mess up my answer by not discussing why commercial law.

nisadee

Valued Member
    Oct 9, 2019
    For me, its been a very painful process as I had interviews at a handful of exceedingly good firms last time and it is already my third cycle. I feel like my prospects are shrinking every year! But I'm going to keep on pushing as I think once you've produced the best app you can, the quality of the competition and whether it will be accepted is out of your control, so you just have to remember it is as much a numbers game as anything.

I wouldn't view summer job apps as a proper 'cycle' that all firms do, because it really just depends on how each one views direct TCs in general. Some will have their direct TC window open from October and keep it open till July the following year and use the summer window to fill remaining gaps left by the vac schemes. Others will close their direct TC apps earlier, around December or Jan maybe, and reopen them between June-July to capture the window of talent that might have been too busy with exams to apply to vacation schemes earlier in the year, or in different stages of their life. Some firms only recruit in the summer. It really just depends on what you're dealing with.
    Yeah, I can definitely relate to this but definitely, agree that we should keep pushing along and doing our best because everyone's path is different!
    And thanks so much for the info on summer apps - definitely need to look more into all of this after my exams then :)

Lillith

Star Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Jan 14, 2021
    Hi, does anyone know long HSF usually take to get back to people after the AC? I know in the past they’ve told people the same day but I’m curious about whether this is usually the case- thanks!

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.