2020-21 Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Asil Ahmad

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Forum Winner
  • Mar 29, 2020
    I know right, got the email confirmation today. Surely it is just going to be distracting! Would be interested to know what you are going to put. I was thinking of using a photo of my home country?
    Also, when there isn't a dress code, I suspect there still is a dress code, it just isn't explicitly said!
    Lol I was reading this post and then saw your name lol so you are the special 1.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi guys! A friend of mine did an interview and had these two separate questions: "why X firm" and "what are the USPs of X firm". I was wondering how to go about differentiating the answers to these two questions? In most of my application forms where they ask "why us" I mostly talk about USPs and why those matter to me, so I'm not really sure how I would differ my answers?
    Your motivations don’t necessarily need to be USPs, but there could be cross over. I just wouldn’t expect them to be the same.

Some of the USPS won’t be the things that motivate you

Reactions: Jaysen and ab1147

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    I'm having a bit of a panic prepping for an AC tomorrow. For my last one, I prepped three deals the firm had done along with three corresponding commercial trends - for this one, I haven't found it as straight forward, mainly as the firm's website is so hard to navigate!

I've prepped one big commercial trend, along with two recent (ish...) cases taken by the firm on the same issue, but other than that my approach feels scatty. I know the firm's big, major cases and have three more commercial news stories up my sleeve, but none of them are particularly interlinked. How many deals / cases do people usually prep for their ACs, and do you try and connect them to the commercial stories you've prepped?
    I wouldn’t expect them to be connected.

Reactions: Victoria R

KS94

Esteemed Member
    Junior Lawyer
  • Mar 21, 2018
    I never know what to expect when I check in on this thread

Feeling left out Jaysen? Here's an adaption just for you, to Cleary -

Dear Mister "I'm-Too-Good-To-Call-Or-Write-My-Grads"
    This will be the last message I ever send your a**
    It's been six years and still no word, I don't deserve it?
    I know you got my last two emails, I wrote the addresses on 'em perfect

Legally brown

Distinguished Member
    Dec 6, 2020
    @Jessica Booker sorry if this has been asked before, but I am currently being asked a question; Why have you decided to pursue a career as a solicitor?

Is this question genuinely asking me about my 'story' as to why I choose law and then why a solicitor?

or

Is this question requiring me to name the skill sets I have and discuss the legal internships I have undertaken, which showcase I have the skill sets to be a solicitor. And also as I have performed some of the tasks a solicitor would normally do, I know that this is my calling etc...?

or

A mix of both?

Celestie

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    2020 Community Winner
  • Nov 14, 2020
    Me seeing these memes, bad puns and god-awful poems knowing that my work on TCLA is done
    Proud Of You Yes GIF

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    @Jessica Booker sorry if this has been asked before, but I am currently being asked a question; Why have you decided to pursue a career as a solicitor?

Is this question genuinely asking me about my 'story' as to why I choose law and then why a solicitor?

or

Is this question requiring me to name the skill sets I have and discuss the legal internships I have undertaken, which showcase I have the skill sets to be a solicitor. And also as I have performed some of the tasks a solicitor would normally do, I know that this is my calling etc...?

or

A mix of both?
    Actually it could be neither.

They just want to hear your reasoning for why a career as a solicitor is the right role for you. You don’t have to showcase your skill set here, it’s about your motivation. You don’t have to tell your story here unless it is relevant to your motivation.

Kola

Legendary Member
    Sep 27, 2020
    I know right, got the email confirmation today. Surely it is just going to be distracting! Would be interested to know what you are going to put. I was thinking of using a photo of my home country?
    Also, when there isn't a dress code, I suspect there still is a dress code, it just isn't explicitly said!
    Dare you to turn up in a flowery Hawaiian shirt

tkhkat

Star Member
    Feb 2, 2021
    Are these going to be the last ACs? Asking because I haven't heard back post-app so assuming rejection
    I'm honestly not sure! I got the invite later than some others who did their ACs last week, but I'm not sure if they'll be doing another round of ACs next week. I think it's best to just wait for their response, so don't lose hope!

Andrew M

Legendary Member
    Forum Winner
    Jan 7, 2020
    Feeling left out Jaysen? Here's an adaption just for you, to Cleary -

Dear Mister "I'm-Too-Good-To-Call-Or-Write-My-Grads"
    This will be the last message I ever send your a**
    It's been six years and still no word, I don't deserve it?
    I know you got my last two emails, I wrote the addresses on 'em perfect
    Thanks, I'll have that stuck in my head all day now.
    the marshall mathers lp stan GIF by Eminem

Reactions: Ricky
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.