2020-21 Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

GK8997

Legendary Member
M&A Bootcamp
Sep 25, 2020
Hi guys, could anyone please provide some advise on how to go about choosing a department for a vacation scheme? Or point me towards the right thread and people?

thanks a ton!
I personally prioritised seats I wanted to learn more about and had the least experience of e.g. private equity because it's a core practice for the firm that my VS is at and likely will be the case that I will do a lot of work linked to PE and I also haven't experienced any PE work before. I was going between this and banking and finance but since I did debt finance in my LPC, I personally wanted to learn and try something new! I would also suggest looking at the firm's core PAs and think about choosing one of these departments and they will give you the best idea of what the firm is generally like!

Reactions: Naomi U and Dheepa

Andrew M

Legendary Member
Forum Winner
Jan 7, 2020
When asked to describe an interesting fact about yourself in an interview/video interview, what have you guys chosen in the past?
I would make sure that you pick something (a hobby or achievement) which is actually interesting/stands out and would give opportunities for follow-up questions. I usually go with either running (I've completed a few marathons over the past couple of years) or acting (I initially studied performing arts and have performed on stage quite a bit through that).

Reactions: Dheepa

Dheepa

Legendary Member
Staff member
Future Trainee
TCLA Moderator
Premium Member
Forum Team
M&A Bootcamp
Junior Lawyer 43
  • Jan 20, 2019
    Oh my god, I got the Pinsent Masons vacation scheme! Literally read the email thinking it was a rejection.
    happy tears yes GIF by The X Factor
    Omg congrats!! So happy for you!

• Love
    Reactions: Andrew M

LEL

Legendary Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Jul 22, 2020
    Hi guys, could anyone please provide some advise on how to go about choosing a department for a vacation scheme? Or point me towards the right thread and people?

thanks a ton!
    I personally reached out to trainees from the firm to see which departments they're in/have sat in, just to get a feel of the work they do. If you have any connections, perhaps from LinkedIn, who work in the areas you're interested in, most of them will be more than happy to give you a run down of their speciality which will hopefully inform your decision.

I also read through Chambers practice area guide, really useful for getting an overall image of the area.

Youtube videos too! Commercial Law School have short videos explaining all the key practice areas, such as this one:

The main thing is to be proactive and engage in conversation with people - they'll be the most insightful and genuine about it!

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
    Staff member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    Finally some good news :) Travers Smith interview invite!

OMG I HAVE BEEN ASKED TO INTERVIEW WITH TRAVERS SMITH I MUST BE DREAMING !!!!!

Oh my god, I got the Pinsent Masons vacation scheme! Literally read the email thinking it was a rejection.
    happy tears yes GIF by The X Factor

Aaaahhh got the SPB Summer Vac Scheme offer - thrilled isn't the word!! 😆

A huge well done to all of you guys, you should be very proud!

anxiouslawyer

Esteemed Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Feb 26, 2021
    Is anyone still waiting to hear from Travers Smith and Freshfields (post-app) and also Taylor Wessing (post-tests)?
    I've yet to hear back from Freshfields post-app either.

I did my Vac Scheme interview with HSF yesterday and still waiting to hear back from them - I heard that if they want you they let you know very quickly so I'm getting nervous :S

Reactions: NikkiT
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.