2020-21 Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

anxiouslawyer

Esteemed Member
Junior Lawyer
Feb 26, 2021
If it makes you feel better, HSF didn’t want me and let me know super quickly as well. Try not to stress about the wait. They have back to back ACs so maybe they’re waiting to finish this week’s up before letting people know. ☺️

I did my interview with HSF on Tuesday and haven’t heard back either, so hopefully they’re waiting until the end of the week and we’ll hear back today! I think (but not sure) the last interviews were this week and people from previous ACs have already received offers, so it might be that there are limited spaces and they want to interview everyone before making decisions (at least that’s what I hope!). Good luck!
Thanks all for confirming this! I was starting to get pretty down about not having heard back yet, but you're probably right, it's likely the case they are waiting at least for this week's ACs to conclude. Best of luck to you both for your apps!

I agree. I think this year, law firms are particularly oversubscribed. Its getting harder and harder to get past the app stage.
I wholeheartedly agree with this. This year the firms took much longer to get back to me than I remembered them taking last time, plus I actually had a couple of firms email me to acknowledge that they were behind on application reviews and to expect a longer wait - it's definitely an unusual year, no doubt due to a combination of firms probably offering fewer places this year (strapped for cash) + more people being unemployed and needing to look for new jobs. The last time I applied even as a complete newb I managed to get 3 interviews, this time around so far I've just had the one.

Jxmxs00

Premium Member
Jan 21, 2021
I have slightly different advice for this than what’s already been said. I tended to pick at least one seat in a department which I knew I had some experience in. Basically playing to my strengths because I thought it would help that I had background knowledge for any of the tasks I was given.

Obviously am aware that this isn’t the most relevant if you’ve never had experience at a law firm but if you have it’s something worth considering. During my first ever VS because of my prior banking knowledge my supervisor gave me loads more work than she admitted herself she would normally give a student without that knowledge. Although I didn’t get a TC from it the knowledge I gained from all the work I did was super useful when applying again. On my Latham vac I can definitely say that what I already knew about banking terms made my life a lot easier when it came to one of the tasks we were being assessed on.

There’s very little you can control about a VS but I think skewing things in your favour where you can helps at least slightly. Just something extra to think about!
Can I probe this a little further? I have a little experience in litigation, and if I were to so some kind of disputes / litigation seat I think my work would be better and I would stand to give a better impression there. However, I have to tie this with the fact that in my VS interview, I was asked how I know I'd enjoy transactional work and it was my weakest answer I believe. I'm thinking I should do a seat in corporate / finance so I can learn more about the field, both for my own learning and so that I come across as open minded in a TC interview - but that could come at the expense of not being able to use my experiences so far in my work.

Thanks!

Roomba

Feb 4, 2021
I have a video interview for Simmons and Simmons (!!). This is my first video interview so i would love any advice people have!

Is a video interview a prerecorded thing? And if so, what kinds of questions do they ask??

Thanks so much!
Congratulations. The VI is 30s prep and 90s to answer if I remember correctly. There are no do overs. Questions are centred around motivations. The Korn Ferry test are a nightmare though!

Good luck :)

MandyAA

Distinguished Member
Jan 20, 2021
Just got this email from IM (London office):

‘This year we received an unprecedented amount of applications. This means we’ll be reviewing applications for the London office until Easter, video interviews will take place in April and the assessment centre will be in May. We understand that you’re keen to know the outcome of your application and we’ll be in touch as soon as possible.’

I defo thought it was a PFO at first glance 😭

HopeLaw1997

Feb 24, 2021
Congratulations. The VI is 30s prep and 90s to answer if I remember correctly. There are no do overs. Questions are centred around motivations. The Korn Ferry test are a nightmare though!

Good luck :)
Thanks very much.
I just completed the Korn Ferry tests and I think my brain might explode......

With regards to the interview Q's is there anything about CA or more general law? or is it focused on me and why ive applied to Simmons etc.

Cheer :)

Daniel Boden

Legendary Member
Trainee
Highest Rated Member
  • Sep 6, 2018
    Hi guys, could anyone please provide some advise on how to go about choosing a department for a vacation scheme? Or point me towards the right thread and people?

thanks a ton!
    I chose the seats/departments that interested me the most tbh! That way I felt I would be able to do better work as I would enjoy the tasks I was given more :)

Reactions: Holly

Dheepa

Legendary Member
    Staff member
    Future Trainee
    TCLA Moderator
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    M&A Bootcamp
    Junior Lawyer 43
  • Jan 20, 2019
    Can I probe this a little further? I have a little experience in litigation, and if I were to so some kind of disputes / litigation seat I think my work would be better and I would stand to give a better impression there. However, I have to tie this with the fact that in my VS interview, I was asked how I know I'd enjoy transactional work and it was my weakest answer I believe. I'm thinking I should do a seat in corporate / finance so I can learn more about the field, both for my own learning and so that I come across as open minded in a TC interview - but that could come at the expense of not being able to use my experiences so far in my work.

Thanks!

Something you could do is set up a coffee with an associate/partner that works in some of the transactional teams and ask if you could help out with anything they're working on that moment. That way you get the insight/work exposure you want while still being able to do a seat in something you're more comfortable in. I also think that after doing the vac, just from the sheer number of practice area talks you will be attending, you'll have a lot more evidence to use to answer questions surrounding your motivations for transactional work anyway.

MandyAA

Distinguished Member
    Jan 20, 2021
    Off topic but - has anyone here applied for the Disney Graduate Legal Internship? Or the Freeths Legal Assistant programme? :)
    Hey, is the Freeths Legal Assistanr Programme opened?

The last time I checked it said their scheme was re-opening in the new year. But nothing has been updated so I emailed GR and they said to check again in Feb and still the same thing 🥴

Reactions: OB

Daniel Boden

Legendary Member
    Trainee
    Highest Rated Member
  • Sep 6, 2018

Thanks!
    In which case I'd try and do one transactional seat and one disputes seat so you get the best of both. Most vac schemes are two weeks so you get a week in each one :)

Naomi U

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Team
    Dec 8, 2019
    If anyone has done a virtual vac scheme before i'd really love some insight. When we are given tasks by current trainee's / associates based on work they are doing at the minute, what sort of stuff could this be? obviously I know this can hugely vary, but I'm just worrying over how difficult the work will be and want a rough idea of what to expect
    Hiya!

I found completing virtual internships beforehand really helpful. There are quite a few on Inside Sherpa (https://www.theforage.com/virtual-internships). I also completed the Bright Networks Virtual Internship prior however I'm not sure if this is an on-going thing.

But I definitely found the tasks on the virtual internship to be a great insight to trainee tasks!

Hope this helps! ☺️

Reactions: p9b

NadineBusty

Valued Member
    Aug 21, 2019
    IM will get back to us with the outcome of our application in April.

Was so scared when I read "unfortunately, this year we received unprecedented amount of applications..." thought it was a rejection...

nichole bloom lollipop GIF by Superstore

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.