2020-21 Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Celestie

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
2020 Community Winner
  • Nov 14, 2020
    BCLP PFO. Grossly weird to invite me to an Open Day I didn't ask for and then reject me the next day. Plain rude.
    Season 3 Discovery GIF by Paramount+

Celestie

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    2020 Community Winner
  • Nov 14, 2020
    BCLP pfo and the feedback low-key is confusing! They said my application was strong but I lacked an understanding of BCLP in the legal market, commercial focus in my questions and motivations to become a solicitor.. what about my application did they actually find strong?
    They said at the open day they will reject people for things like 1 spelling mistake so the feedback can be misleading etc.

Reactions: Lisa Lowe

M1999

Legendary Member
    Nov 28, 2019
    On another note.. how do people demonstrate their commitment to commercial law without any legal experience? I have a lot of experience in hospitality, retail, admin at city firms, but I have no legal experience- not even any posts in the law society or anything. I think this is what is letting my application down. I know why I want to do law but I find it unconvincing because I don’t have evidence to say ‘I would like it because I’ve experienced it and I enjoyed this aspect of it’. Even though I try to relate it a lot to transferable skills, I still think my application is lacking. Unfortunately though getting legal experience is truly hard

djqb

Legendary Member
    Sep 6, 2020
    Could anybody suggest if it may be alright to email GR asking for an update on an application?

For reference, I'm waiting to hear back from Stephenson Harwood post-app and it's been nearly a month since their deadline has passed.

Many thanks in advance

OB

Legendary Member
    2020 Community Winner
    Junior Lawyer
  • Feb 10, 2020
    Could anybody suggest if it may be alright to email GR asking for an update on an application?

For reference, I'm waiting to hear back from Stephenson Harwood post-app and it's been nearly a month since their deadline has passed.

Many thanks in advance
    They often ignore emails so you can do but don't expect a response :(

Reactions: djqb

C

Esteemed Member
    M&A Bootcamp
    Nov 7, 2019
    On another note.. how do people demonstrate their commitment to commercial law without any legal experience? I have a lot of experience in hospitality, retail, admin at city firms, but I have no legal experience- not even any posts in the law society or anything. I think this is what is letting my application down. I know why I want to do law but I find it unconvincing because I don’t have evidence to say ‘I would like it because I’ve experienced it and I enjoyed this aspect of it’. Even though I try to relate it a lot to transferable skills, I still think my application is lacking. Unfortunately though getting legal experience is truly hard
    What is your degree in? the fact that you've had this much experience in hospitality and retail is great! you can even take these experiences to show how you're interested in commercial law. E.g. you can say you received exciting opportunities to observe practical functions of commerce during your time in retail and the day-to-day factors that affect business management, how this made you accustomed to thinking commercially and how you're interested in providing legal solutions by considering the commercial landscape a client operates in. Not sure if this shows 'commitment' to law per se but, in my opinion, could show why you're interested in commercial law

Last edited:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.