2020-21 Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Carmen H

Star Member
Nov 19, 2019
AC invite for HFW! Really surprised as applied on deadline day. Has anyone had any experience with the firm that they can share pls? Just seen that the AC includes a watson glaser as well which is literally my worst enemy
Family Time Reaction GIF by Lifetime

gaqf

Feb 24, 2021
Does everyone get the same 5 pointers as 'feedback' from the BCLP PFO? For example one was attend an open day and I have before lol
Did you get this?

[On this occasion, we regret to inform you that your application has not been successful. We aim to provide all students with guidance on how to improve their application. As a result, please find below feedback which we hope you will find useful.

Although your application, on the whole, was strong, we felt that your application lacked the following:

• A very clear alignment to BCLP with a strong understanding of the firm’s differentiators, competitors and wider alignment to commercial law.
• Strong research skills; demonstrating that you sought out valuable information from a wide range of sources, incorporating firm facts, statistics, cases and financials etc.
• Clear commercial focus when answering all questions, as well as showing why you are suited to the role of a commercial solicitor, over another city career.

We would like to take this opportunity to highlight that we considered your application to be strong and would encourage you to apply again in future and show improvements to our points made above. Competition is increasingly strong and the applicant questions are weighted heavily as part of the overall screening process.

We hope this feedback has given you a useful sense of how to improve going forward. In addition, if you have not attended an open day, we would recommend applying for one in future if you intend to reapply.]

I don't know but this is the nicest PFO I've ever had. :D

M1999

Legendary Member
Nov 28, 2019
Did you get this?

[On this occasion, we regret to inform you that your application has not been successful. We aim to provide all students with guidance on how to improve their application. As a result, please find below feedback which we hope you will find useful.

Although your application, on the whole, was strong, we felt that your application lacked the following:

• A very clear alignment to BCLP with a strong understanding of the firm’s differentiators, competitors and wider alignment to commercial law.
• Strong research skills; demonstrating that you sought out valuable information from a wide range of sources, incorporating firm facts, statistics, cases and financials etc.
• Clear commercial focus when answering all questions, as well as showing why you are suited to the role of a commercial solicitor, over another city career.

We would like to take this opportunity to highlight that we considered your application to be strong and would encourage you to apply again in future and show improvements to our points made above. Competition is increasingly strong and the applicant questions are weighted heavily as part of the overall screening process.

We hope this feedback has given you a useful sense of how to improve going forward. In addition, if you have not attended an open day, we would recommend applying for one in future if you intend to reapply.]

I got exactly that! It was nice but I think it may be generic haha so have no idea if mine was actually strong

• 🤝
Reactions: gaqf

Zay

Star Member
Oct 28, 2018
Did you get this?

I agree!! I appreciate that the firm actually try and give some useful feedback (although it is a bit generic), but is more than what any other firm offers at application stage

• 🤝
Reactions: Holly, Hele25 and gaqf

lawloser

Star Member
Feb 8, 2021
Anyone have any advice for NRF phone interview?

How long does it take to prep?

Edit: what does the virtual AC include?
I had mine for Winter Scheme a while back, but it was pretty relaxed.

Very much competency based, so have a load of different experiences lined up for things like teamwork, overcoming a challenge, working in a team etc.
And then also the normal why commercial law and why NRF questions too. They also give you the chance for a question or two in the end.

Phone call I felt was really about trying to get on well with the person on the other end of the phone, I thought my answers were pretty crap but the conversation flowed at least.

The AC consists of a welcome with a fun fact, case study prep time and then case study with an associate one on one.

Then a partner interview with 2 people.

Then group negotiation exercise 2 v 2

In my feedback call afterwards, they said that coming across as friendly in the group neg was a great help, not being too pushy etc

Partner interview was a good bit of commercial awareness situations and also asking about what teams and issues would be at play in a hypothetical merger in Morocco as opposed to england for NRF. They were really friendly throughout.

The Case study is pretty basic and you have 3 options to choose from and give a brief presentation on why that one, but there wasn't too much info and everyone found it okay!

• ℹ️
Reactions: Jaysen, AJLegacy and Dwight

Elle W

Valued Member
Jan 12, 2021
Could anybody suggest if it may be alright to email GR asking for an update on an application?

For reference, I'm waiting to hear back from Stephenson Harwood post-app and it's been nearly a month since their deadline has passed.

Many thanks in advance
Hey, I heard back two days ago and received a WG invite (I applied on the deadline) so you'll probably hear back soon too!

Last edited:
Reactions: djqb
Status
Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.