2020-21 Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

EVjuji

Valued Member
Nov 29, 2019
AC invite for HFW! Really surprised as applied on deadline day. Has anyone had any experience with the firm that they can share pls? Just seen that the AC includes a watson glaser as well which is literally my worst enemy
Family Time Reaction GIF by Lifetime

sooooooooooooooooooooooooo jealous. Attended their OD and followed all their application advice.

• Sad
Reactions: OB and ellwilsen

LegalNim

Legendary Member
Nov 14, 2019
On another note.. how do people demonstrate their commitment to commercial law without any legal experience? I have a lot of experience in hospitality, retail, admin at city firms, but I have no legal experience- not even any posts in the law society or anything. I think this is what is letting my application down. I know why I want to do law but I find it unconvincing because I don’t have evidence to say ‘I would like it because I’ve experienced it and I enjoyed this aspect of it’. Even though I try to relate it a lot to transferable skills, I still think my application is lacking. Unfortunately though getting legal experience is truly hard
This is how I've done it in the past without any commercial law experience, don't know if it's a good strategy and obviously my motivations are different to yours so the reasons I'm committed to it will be different but just for an idea.

1. I worked in a criminal law firm and didn't like it because the cases weren't particularly technical or impactful - so I know I'm looking for something technical and impactful.
2. Commerce is virtually always going to be international - I worked abroad, I've studied abroad, I've lived abroad, I've studied languages... I want to be doing something where I'm interacting with different cultures and the extra complexities of cross-border... etc etc.
3. I've chosen degree modules that align with commercial law.
4. Commercial law is a combination of a lot of disciplines and that's really important to me - I studied a lot of different things at university because I need variety to be intellectually stimulated and my business was a crossover between technology and art so I enjoy that balance. Law has the balance of science and art, there are rules and algorithms and constants but also times when you need to be very creative. Commercial law also means understanding a) the law, b) business and markets, c) the subject matter you're working on (finance, technology, life sciences etc). So, it's much broader than most professions.

Essentially, I demonstrated my commitment without having experience in commercial law by showing the things I liked and disliked about the things I have done and then pointing out how the things I like (or were lacking in other roles) are present in commercial law. Kind of like, I did X role and liked A and B aspects, I did Y role and found it was lacking C and D aspects. Commercial law has A, B, C and D - therefore I know I'll enjoy a career in it. If you enjoy it then you'll stay doing it. But I'm no expert, it's just my personal strategy.

OB

Legendary Member
2020 Community Winner
Junior Lawyer
  • Feb 10, 2020
    Yes, I applied for the Disney Graduate Legal Internship too! Have you heard anything back?
    I haven't heard anything, have you? I feel like they should get back to us quite soon since they said it was immediate start but I guess it depends how many applied!

Reactions: OEO

OB

Legendary Member
    2020 Community Winner
    Junior Lawyer
  • Feb 10, 2020
    Did you get this?

[On this occasion, we regret to inform you that your application has not been successful. We aim to provide all students with guidance on how to improve their application. As a result, please find below feedback which we hope you will find useful.

Although your application, on the whole, was strong, we felt that your application lacked the following:

• A very clear alignment to BCLP with a strong understanding of the firm’s differentiators, competitors and wider alignment to commercial law.
    • Strong research skills; demonstrating that you sought out valuable information from a wide range of sources, incorporating firm facts, statistics, cases and financials etc.
    • Clear commercial focus when answering all questions, as well as showing why you are suited to the role of a commercial solicitor, over another city career.

We would like to take this opportunity to highlight that we considered your application to be strong and would encourage you to apply again in future and show improvements to our points made above. Competition is increasingly strong and the applicant questions are weighted heavily as part of the overall screening process.

We hope this feedback has given you a useful sense of how to improve going forward. In addition, if you have not attended an open day, we would recommend applying for one in future if you intend to reapply.]

I don't know but this is the nicest PFO I've ever had. :D
    Ahh mine was different!

[Please note, we considered your application to be particularly strong and would encourage you to reapply next year if you wish to do so. On that note, please find below some useful pointers to demonstrate what we are seeking in strong candidates to provide to assessment stage, we hope you will find useful.

• Strong research on the firm outside of readily available information. In-depth knowledge of BCLP’s clients, recent awards and where the firm is positioned in the legal market.
    • Commercial awareness; demonstrating an understanding of how a law firm operates and what trends and challenges law firms are faced with. Evidence of a broad range of interests outside of academics and work experience. We are looking for you to demonstrate that you have held positions of responsibility and can work collaboratively in a team.
    • Clear problem solving skills and the ability to think through a difficult situation methodically and practically.
    • Attention to detail and strong communication style.
    • Aim to attend an open day/networking or skills session with the firm, as well as other firms, to develop your exposure to the legal profession. We would recommend keeping up to date via our website for information on events; in addition, engage more with societies through your university and seek out any opportunities to gain both legal and or commercial experience. This may also include Pro Bono opportunities, on campus events etc.]

In reference to the last bullet point, I used a whole work experience entry to talk about the open days I'd been to at the firm and mentioned them in my questions! So feel like my email wasn't very specific to me? I also got two emails? The one I got before this had not reference to feedback at all!

Jacob Miller

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Team
  • Feb 15, 2020
    Hey all! Sorry I've been quite quiet today - been exceedingly busy! There were about 25 pages of this thread while I was away so please do feel free to tag me in anything I've glossed over that I should jump in on.

As promised, I've now uploaded a thread discussing the Travers Smith Vac Scheme and would encourage any and all questions to be directed there. Check it out:

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.