2020-21 Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

MandyAA

Distinguished Member
Jan 20, 2021
Yeah there isn't!! My answers range from 200-450 words each, its quite nice having the freedom to write as much as we want!
On the one hand this is great b/c I don’t have to stress about cutting down my words 🥳

But then I might start to ramble 😂

I’m going to try and keep them between 250 - 400

Thanks!!

• Love
Reactions: OB

OB

Legendary Member
2020 Community Winner
Junior Lawyer
  • Feb 10, 2020
    On another note.. how do people demonstrate their commitment to commercial law without any legal experience? I have a lot of experience in hospitality, retail, admin at city firms, but I have no legal experience- not even any posts in the law society or anything. I think this is what is letting my application down. I know why I want to do law but I find it unconvincing because I don’t have evidence to say ‘I would like it because I’ve experienced it and I enjoyed this aspect of it’. Even though I try to relate it a lot to transferable skills, I still think my application is lacking. Unfortunately though getting legal experience is truly hard
    Completing Forage virtual work experiences or online courses on Coursera or EdX are a good way of showing you're actively trying to gain legal knowledge/experience where you can! Volunteering for a local legal clinic or Citizens Advice branch is also good experience - as well as any sort of legal open day/networking event you can get on!

Dheepa

Legendary Member
    Staff member
    Future Trainee
    TCLA Moderator
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    M&A Bootcamp
    Junior Lawyer 43
  • Jan 20, 2019
    On another note.. how do people demonstrate their commitment to commercial law without any legal experience? I have a lot of experience in hospitality, retail, admin at city firms, but I have no legal experience- not even any posts in the law society or anything. I think this is what is letting my application down. I know why I want to do law but I find it unconvincing because I don’t have evidence to say ‘I would like it because I’ve experienced it and I enjoyed this aspect of it’. Even though I try to relate it a lot to transferable skills, I still think my application is lacking. Unfortunately though getting legal experience is truly hard

You really don't need legal work experience to demonstrate your motivations. Just drawing on things you learnt attending open days, events, case study workshops with firms (even the ones that don't need a special application) is more than enough. Have you considered doing any of the Forage internships? Also a great way to boost your application and create more tangible links to "why commercial law"

Haz

Legendary Member
  • Dec 28, 2020
    Could anybody suggest if it may be alright to email GR asking for an update on an application?

For reference, I'm waiting to hear back from Stephenson Harwood post-app and it's been nearly a month since their deadline has passed.

Many thanks in advance
    Hey, if you applied for summer, I'd leave it personally - I've seen people get WG and interview invites for spring but haven't seen anything in relation to summer so I assume they're just prioritising that first! If you did apply to spring though, it might be worth emailing :)

Reactions: OB and djqb

djqb

Legendary Member
    Sep 6, 2020
    They often ignore emails so you can do but don't expect a response :(

Hey, if you applied for summer, I'd leave it personally - I've seen people get WG and interview invites for spring but haven't seen anything in relation to summer so I assume they're just prioritising that first! If you did apply to spring though, it might be worth emailing :)
    Thanks! Yeah I've applied for summer so I guess it'd better to wait at this point! :)

Reactions: OB and Haz

djqb

Legendary Member
    Sep 6, 2020
    I really hope Winston & Strawn gets back to us today 🤞

Just under an hour left till end of business today, and it's the last working day of February 🥵

Lisa Simpson Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

Mena M

Star Member
    Dec 16, 2020
    Thanks. Isn't there some sort of mentoring scheme or something that you need to actually apply for though? x

EDIT*: I believe it's the Aspire programme - https://www.aspiringsolicitors.co.uk/as-aspire/ - is it any good anyone?
    You get paired with a recruiter who helps you with your applications. You have a limited amount of calls, I think it's once a months for 5 (ish) months. They just read over your applications, answer any questions, and that's about it. Since there's loads of people taking part, each mentee/recruiter has multiple mentees and so has to limit their calls with you. I was an Aspire candidate and have only managed to reach VI stage this cycle.

Reactions: OB

Andrew M

Legendary Member
    Forum Winner
    Jan 7, 2020
    Had my Eversheds AC today... partner interview was beyond awful. Am okay with it because it was my first AC but any advice for how to forget your shocking answers would be appreciated lol
    Honestly, I thought my partner interview with Pinsent Masons went badly. I got choked up talking about my childhood (wasn't prepared for the question) and ended up making jokes to lighten the mood, talking about RuPaul and Britney Spears. And yet by some miracle I got the scheme. So don't write yourself off just yet! 😅

Staples

Legendary Member
  • Sep 11, 2020
    They've had a couple more ACs today, so I don't think they'd have sent invites out just yet. I think they'll probably start soon though.
    Oh did they? I thought it was 23-24-25 judging from the slots I was offered when booking my AC
    They told me that it’d be Friday evening at the earliest!
    True! I’m just 1) anxious 2) uncertain as to when “evening” begins 😁

• 🤝
    Reactions: CharlotteLegal

Andrew M

Legendary Member
    Forum Winner
    Jan 7, 2020
    Oh did they? I thought it was 23-24-25 judging from the slots I was offered when booking my AC

True! I’m just 1) anxious 2) uncertain as to when “evening” begins 😁
    I think that Friday was kept as an alternative. A girl in my group had really bad connection and kept dropping out. Then we got told by one of the GR that she would be joining them on Friday instead of continuing with us.

I don't know how many slots they had today though. Maybe just the morning one?

• ℹ️
    Reactions: Staples
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.