2020-21 Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

layla rose

Legendary Member
  • Nov 27, 2020
    I’m sure this has been answered by @Jessica Booker so I’m sorry for asking again but I can’t find the posts!

I got a VS (yay!!!) and have accepted. Still have some outstanding apps and if (by some miracle) I receive a VS offer from one of those, is it OK to then decline that first VS having already accepted it and take another?

For those that have done that before, what do you say to the original firm - do you ask if you can be considered for a direct TC or??

Thank you very much!!!

• 🏆
    Reactions: Andrew M, TR17 and cmaj

frksch

Star Member
    Jan 27, 2021
    I’m sure this has been answered several times so I’m sorry for asking again but I can’t find the posts!

I got a VS (yay!!!) and have accepted. Still have some outstanding apps and if (by some miracle) I receive a VS offer from one of those, is it OK to then decline that first VS having already accepted it and take another?

For those that have done that before, what do you say to the original firm - do you ask if you can be considered for a direct TC or??
    Thank you very much!!!
    I think the response to this question is generally that you can definitely do it, but you wont be looked at in the highest regard by grad rec. asking for a direct TC route when they're clearly not your priority might be pushing it ! thats just me tho

Reactions: cmaj and layla rose

layla rose

Legendary Member
  • Nov 27, 2020
    I think the response to this question is generally that you can definitely do it, but you wont be looked at in the highest regard by grad rec. asking for a direct TC route when they're clearly not your priority might be pushing it ! thats just me tho
    Yes I also was thinking asking for the direct TC route is pretty cheeky haha! but seen people mention it on here

els124

Distinguished Member
    Sep 26, 2020
    Does anyone know if competency / value based interviews can involve situational questions?

Yes, I've had competency interviews in the past that have included situational questions.
    Don't let them throw you - just have a list of the firm's core values in front of you and keep them in mind as you think about what you'd do in the situation they've given.

Reactions: Holly

GK8997

Legendary Member
    M&A Bootcamp
    Sep 25, 2020
    I’m sure this has been answered by @Jessica Booker so I’m sorry for asking again but I can’t find the posts!

Thank you very much!!!
    I would personally suggest asking the second firm for a direct TC interview rather than going back to the original firm because that tells them they may not be your preference/ priority while asking the second simply means you have clashing dates which is common and can't be helped!

Reactions: layla rose

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019

Thank you very much!!!
    Yes - you can decline an earlier offer - just don't expect the firm you are declining to do you any favours!

You can ask to go forward for a direct TC - different firms will have different approached to this and will either allow it, or just tell you to reapply at the appropriate time.

Dheepa

Legendary Member
    Staff member
    Future Trainee
    TCLA Moderator
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    M&A Bootcamp
    Junior Lawyer 43
  • Jan 20, 2019
    Do you think it's more likely to get a TC from a direct TC interview than from a vac scheme?

Million dollar question haha. I think it mostly depends on how strong of a candidate you are. I think firms expect more from direct TC applicants because they need to be extra sure about your motivations for the career and the firm and, because its a huge gamble they're making over someone whose actually experienced the firm. It also depends on the kind of firms you're applying to. Are you applying for a direct TC with firms that notoriously don't take in many direct TC applicants (thinking of US firms and firms that recruit 80% or more from vacs) or are they firms like FF, A&O, S&M who recruit heavily from direct TC apps? Personally, I do think that both factors taken together does mean that it can be harder.

Last edited:

Dheepa

Legendary Member
    Staff member
    Future Trainee
    TCLA Moderator
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    M&A Bootcamp
    Junior Lawyer 43
  • Jan 20, 2019
    What do NRF mean when they say they are "recognised for their industry focus"? Do they mean their structure is based on industries rather than practice areas?

They don't organise themselves according to industries. Its just the way they market themselves to clients. Law firms organise themselves according to practice areas yes but for a client, the difference between acquisition financing and asset financing is probably irrelevant. They just want to hire people who can offer them advise based on how they view business (i.e. within a particular industry) and the issues facing that industry. Industry focus is just a way of focusing on the business acumen required as a commercial lawyer. Bonus fact if you're applying to NRF: They refer to their six core industries as their "headlights" feature (it'll definitely impress if you make reference to that in your apps)

Last edited:
    • ℹ️
    Reactions: els124 and NSinger

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Do you think it's more likely to get a TC from a direct TC interview than from a vac scheme?
    It depends how you spin it...

There is less opportunity to screw up in a TC interview, but there is less opportunity to shine too.

I don't think it is as simple as what is more or less likely in general though, its going to vary from candidate to candidate and firm to firm.

Obviously a vac scheme process is far more effort, but if you put that effort in you have a massive advantage over someone coming in just for a few hours worth of interviews.

• ℹ️
    Reactions: JayC and Sebastian Clark
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.