NadineBusty

Valued Member
Aug 21, 2019
Trowers & Hamlins

confused wile e coyote GIF by Looney Tunes

layla rose

Legendary Member
  • Nov 27, 2020
    I would personally suggest asking the second firm for a direct TC interview rather than going back to the original firm because that tells them they may not be your preference/ priority while asking the second simply means you have clashing dates which is common and can't be helped!
    Ahh yes that’s true - thank you very much for that ! :)

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    I would personally suggest asking the second firm for a direct TC interview rather than going back to the original firm because that tells them they may not be your preference/ priority while asking the second simply means you have clashing dates which is common and can't be helped!
    Although by saying there is a clash of dates and you are choosing the other firm, you are ultimately saying to the second firm they aren't your first preference either.

• ℹ️
    Reactions: Andrew M and layla rose

GK8997

Legendary Member
    M&A Bootcamp
    Sep 25, 2020
    Although by saying there is a clash of dates and you are choosing the other firm, you are ultimately saying to the second firm they aren't your first preference either.
    This is very true too, never thought of that! I guess I assumed it would be less inflammatory as you accepted the offer for another firm before you knw you'd have a choice but you're right, I guess if they were your first choice you'd prioritise them!

M1999

Legendary Member
    Nov 28, 2019
    Anyone else just feeling hopeless. I’m a first class law student from a top Russell group university and my entire life I’ve tried so hard to do well and I just keep getting rejections. All my friends seem to know what they are doing next year and I’m stumped. I feel like I’m simply unemployable.
    I feel the exact same. It sucks. All I’ve done in the past year is disappoint myself

Reactions: M0723 and Samantha

HorsesForCoursesNeighNeighNeigh

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Premium Member
    Forum Winner
    M&A Bootcamp
    Dec 1, 2020
    Anyone else just feeling hopeless. I’m a first class law student from a top Russell group university and my entire life I’ve tried so hard to do well and I just keep getting rejections. All my friends seem to know what they are doing next year and I’m stumped. I feel like I’m simply unemployable.

Please don't tell yourself that, it's absolutely not true!!! Regardless of whether you get a TC now there are lots of interesting grad things you can try for a bit that I guarantee will massively help your skills and also be a lot of fun. Business development work in the city can be fairly easy to get, as can a whole range of other jobs like that--it's what I did on graduation. Massively helped accelerate my career and I also had a blast. The market is tough at the moment but if you really get out there and are ok to take temping you can get amazing experience. Once you get a bit you're away, always easier to get a job when you already have one.

And be kind to yourself!

• Love
    Reactions: Samantha

PositiveVibesOnly

Star Member
    Future Trainee
  • Feb 11, 2021
    Hey lovely try and keep your head up, despite having applied during uni and done a vac scheme during the summer of second year I graduated without a TC too (law at RG uni) I took a year out and worked as a legal admin at a law firm which was honestly such a good experience and really helped with being able to prove commitment to law and office experience. I know it’s so disheartening but I was really comforted during my job as I realised that most of the paralegals (ranging from 22-30) had all got their TCs at different ages, and their peace with the fact that was their path to a TC really helped me - the average age to qualify is apparently 29! I know it feels awful, but you will get there ❤️ When you’ve done well and always achieved what you’ve set your mind to it can be really hard to take job application rejections, but rejections now doesn’t mean you’ll never get there, I promise

Cho

Aug 8, 2020
    Yes - you can decline an earlier offer - just don't expect the firm you are declining to do you any favours!

You can ask to go forward for a direct TC - different firms will have different approached to this and will either allow it, or just tell you to reapply at the appropriate time.

Adding on to this, would it be generally received well if I ask to be allocated to an earlier date so I can attend a VS with another firm?

*edit, or would I be better off attending a VS offered at a later date by the second firm? haha

Holly

Legendary Member
    Forum Winner
    Nov 23, 2019

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Adding on to this, would it be generally received well if I ask to be allocated to an earlier date so I can attend a VS with another firm?

*edit, or would I be better off attending a VS offered at a later date by the second firm? haha
    It would be better to change the date with the second firm really first. If they don't have the flexibility, then ask the firm you got the first offer with. If they don't have the flexibility either, then work out which one to decline....

Reactions: Cho

GK8997

Legendary Member
    M&A Bootcamp
    Sep 25, 2020
    Heya, I am so sorry to hear this and I know it is easy to say but honestly I feel that applications are a numbers game and there's also an element of luck to it. I didn't secure a VS my first year at all and last year I missed out on what I thought would be my dream firm by one exercise in an AC and I was gutted (and needed some time to recover) but after the self care, I took the rest of the year to get a new job in the legal sector at a company I love and I felt it really renewed my confidence for this app cycle, which I have done far better in! Don't be too hard on yourself because it could be someone so small and marginal that firms are looking at because the app cycle is so competitive and I'm sure you are an excellent candidate who has so much to offer!

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.