2020-21 Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

cmaj

Legendary Member
Forum Winner
  • Sep 18, 2019
    Hey, I know many others have replied to your post - but I just wanted to say I really do empathise, and I am terribly sorry.

I know everyone's situation and feelings are unique; however, I think everyone who has struggled in this process has a mutual recognition of some of the mental and physical pressures had by all.

I was lucky enough that when I began applying in my second year, I did not really understand what (regarding the application process) I was getting into. Nevertheless, I had some success, and then the gravity of the situation came crashing down. My vacation schemes were postponed or changed due to coronavirus, and I ended up being rejected from a firm post-'vacation scheme' (it wasn't really a vacation scheme, more like a series of presentations and then a 30-minute interview) in June 2020.

Afterwards, I was unbelievably panicked and lost a lot of self-confidence. I was terrified of graduating without a training contract, and sadly my mind spiralled down and out of control. I can laugh about it now, but at the time, I was deadly serious: one evening, I was so down and so worried that I began to research joining the military post-graduation. The tragic thing at the time was I realised, for certain reasons, I might not be eligible (I thought that no one, not even the army, would want me). Now, I can laugh about that because, thankfully, I am not in that mindset anymore, and one glance at me, and my lifestyle, would indicate my substantial lack of suitability for a barracks.

Nonetheless, I really do empathise with your position. I have been called a 'classic overachiever' and someone who would 'probably get a training contract'. Yet, when you haven't crossed the finishing line, those phrases feel like burdens, and it really makes you question your own ability.

Now, I grant this might be unwarranted, but if you or anyone else would like advice, I'll try and summarise it:
    1. This process can be brutal. Many individuals, especially ones from older intakes, will mock others for struggling to garner training contracts. Sadly, the playing field has changed; it is harder to compete with the increased competition and the more rigorous assessment process. Hence, you are not alone in your struggle - everyone out there is suffering in one form or another. I know that provides little solace, but at the very least, the majority out there can empathise with your position.

2. You are not unemployable. You have a first-class degree in one of the most prestigious subjects from one of the UK's most prestigious universities. I don't know what other experience you have, but you have a great foundation for employability. Although you might not be able to leapfrog straight into a TC, please keep going; your degree and the skills you have garnered from it will stand you in great stead.

3. Rejections are inevitable. I have received, over two application cycles, approximately 30-40 rejections. They do not define your ability: I have been rejected from midmarket firms, only to then get training contract offers at Silver Circle and Magic Circle firms (yet, at the time of rejection, I felt I had nothing). Unfortunately, to cross the Rubicon, the struggle begins before you get to its banks - but that does not mean that you will never reach and cross it.

4. Plan and set out a roadmap. Know what you want, and set out the steps to achieving that. It might be longer than you would have liked - but if you are set on a goal, then any step forward, no matter how small, is a positive one. Additionally, make sure that when you experience a setback, you take on as much feedback as you can - a growth mindset is fundamental to stay motivated and to progress.

5. Don't compare yourself to others. The people around you, including me, have had and will continue to have different journeys than yourself. Definitely take sound advice, and accept constructive feedback from those who are authorised to give it. However, please do not feel like you have to emulate them or see them as an archetype of a successful individual.
    Okay, I got carried away - but this topic is something that really resonates with me!

I hope this helps, and please feel free to ask any more questions (an open invitation) on this, or any other topic, in the MC Trainee thread!

Just wanted to pipe up, this is FANTASTIC advice and so motivating! I’ve been in full time work for three years and even I feel pumped to get a job after reading this LOL

• Love
    Reactions: Daniel Boden and Anon08

John Travoni

Legendary Member
    Jan 14, 2021
    That feeling when you finish the Gateley assessments, get your feedback report and see your numerical intellect..... My maths is really rusty after not really using it for a few years😭😭.

Honestly was not a big fan of that system at all! Think I may not be getting through this one..
    Surprisingly I scored in the highest percentile for the maths section, even though I hate maths and have not done it in years. Guess my confidence paid off 😂😂😂

JayC

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Junior Lawyer
    Jan 8, 2021
    I hope everyone who gets rejected from firms they think they have put in a great application for can understand that this process is so arbitrary! It is really just a numbers game!

In a feedback call with a firm’s grad rec team (rhymes with Meed Mith) yesterday post-research questions (not sure why they offered me this as not everyone seems to have been offered feedback at this stage), they said that the answers to two of my questions were excellent but that the reason I didn’t get an interview was because the answer to my ‘Why commercial law?’ question let me down. Namely, I didn’t mention why that firm, which partners I would be interested in working with and what transferable skills I could offer them. This goes contrary to so much advice I’ve seen both on here and for other firms about only answering the question that is being asked lol, and they even said that this stage of the process was reviewed anonymously from the application form (which was merely an issue of meeting their benchmark) and that from this stage 40 applications were shortlisted from over 700 that had passed the application and SST stage...

S87

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Sep 4, 2018
    I hope everyone who gets rejected from firms they think they have put in a great application for can understand that this process is so arbitrary! It is really just a numbers game!

In a feedback call with a firm’s grad rec team (rhymes with Meed Mith) yesterday post-research questions (not sure why they offered me this as not everyone seems to have been offered feedback at this stage), they said that the answers to two of my questions were excellent but that the reason I didn’t get an interview was because the answer to my ‘Why commercial law?’ question let me down. Namely, I didn’t mention why that firm, which partners I would be interested in working with and what transferable skills I could offer them. This goes contrary to so much advice I’ve seen both on here and for other firms about only answering the question that is being asked lol, and they even said that this stage of the process was reviewed anonymously from the application form (which was merely an issue of meeting their benchmark) and that from this stage 40 applications were shortlisted from over 700 that had passed the application and SST stage...
    I am sorry but feel proud for reaching this stage. Could I ask you If this was for spring or summer?

Reactions: JayC

jan28

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    M&A Bootcamp
    Sep 12, 2019

they want you to specify which partners you want to work with? blimey. what else do they want from us ffs

JayC

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Junior Lawyer
    Jan 8, 2021
    they want you to specify which partners you want to work with? blimey. what else do they want from us ffs
    It was sort of an example they gave, along with possibly mentioning some of the work of one of their practice areas you’re interested in or something else etc

Reactions: jan28

xvcardell

Jan 15, 2021
    Surprisingly I scored in the highest percentile for the maths section, even though I hate maths and have not done it in years. Guess my confidence paid off 😂😂😂
    Well done you guys who have already done the tests! Achievement in itself as they seem very intense!

I was wondering if you could share what the video interview section was like - was it long/what sort of questions did they ask?

NextStageOfTheApplication

Distinguished Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Nov 12, 2020
    I may have applied a little late to dechert and not received such an email (or any email)
    Awkward Cardi B GIF by Saturday Night Live
    I didn't get an email neither :O

CharlotteLegal

Distinguished Member
  • Jun 13, 2020
    Well done you guys who have already done the tests! Achievement in itself as they seem very intense!

I was wondering if you could share what the video interview section was like - was it long/what sort of questions did they ask?
    Its really hard to give tips on this one imo as someone said previously the questions are very specific! All I can say is you do have unlimited time to think so I wouldn’t panic too much about that section. I think there was 5 qs?

Matt_96

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
  • Dec 15, 2018

I have had a similar experience as well. During last year's cycle, for one firm I was told that my competency interview was very poor (the way the questions were asked totally threw me off) and my case study was average but my written exercise was exceptionally strong. I accepted the feedback and tried hard to improve things. Then at the next firm's AC a few weeks later I was happy to learn that my case study and competency interview were my strongest answers, but despite writing my written exercise in the exact same way as before, it was somehow my weakest result! They didn't rate that style of answer at all.

This was something I never could have predicted. It taught me a lesson that even if you try to perfect your application technique you might still fail because your answers, although perfect for one firm, might not be perfect for another. Although they all look the same on paper, each firm really does have a different culture and values. Some firms prefer a more 'let's get straight to business' style of candidate. Others want people who are 'fluffier'. And it's difficult to tell which is which!

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.