Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
If you have a VS this summer with a firm, but in the meantime apply for a direct TC with a different firm - is that an odd thing to do? do people usually do this or wait until after the VS?
It is very common - wouldnā€™t be an odd thing to do. Some people do wait for the vac scheme to happen first, but ultimately many people canā€™t as their vac scheme might be close or after application deadlines

• ā„¹ļø
Reactions: layla rose

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Okay thank you Neville! Should I include the fact I am yet to complete my VS at a different firm in the TC application?
Yes - you can include it on your application. There is just no point explaining it (as you have nothing to explain) - if the application has an extra information section, then I would mention it in there.

tractor12

Legendary Member
Junior Lawyer
Oct 6, 2019
Guys I have a question to answer for an app:

Describe a situation when you took a personal risk to share a view that was different or unpopular (in no more than 150 words). For example, working on a group project where you had a different opinion to the majority of the group.

How can I answer this? Does anyone have any situational examples? I think the 'personal risk' bit is throwing me off
Perhaps the personal risk is that what you are suggesting will be unpopular and will change the way others view you? Or perhaps your suggestion may be a great idea with a lot of risk and it might not pan out the way you want it to

Reactions: cryingoverTCs

G P

Star Member
Jul 13, 2020
Just had the most awful interview experience. It was my first ever interview, and I just flopped. You know when the words that leave your mouth don't match up to the ones in your head? The interviewers were lovely but I just felt sorry for them to be honest for having to listen to my waffle. Anyone had this experience before? Or any tips to try and forget about it and move on (inevitable PFO pending!)?

manifestingaTC

Esteemed Member
  • Nov 5, 2020
    Has anyone been rejected by either Travers or W&C re summer scheme? (I appreciate this is not easy to say but would give an insight for those of us waiting to hear back)

Some people have heard back positively and others have not all, so surely in that case, no response still leaves hope.
    Iā€™ve seen some people on here with rejections for W&C summer post app

Reactions: Dwight

Jacob Miller

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Team
  • Feb 15, 2020
    Just had the most awful interview experience. It was my first ever interview, and I just flopped. You know when the words that leave your mouth don't match up to the ones in your head? The interviewers were lovely but I just felt sorry for them to be honest for having to listen to my waffle. Anyone had this experience before? Or any tips to try and forget about it and move on (inevitable PFO pending!)?
    Sorry to hear this! These interviews happen, and I totally relate to the "I-want-the-earth-to-open-up-and-swallow-me-whole-please" feelings. I wrote about my worst ever car crash interview here, hopefully it'll either give you a laugh or make you feel a bit better!

sam970

Distinguished Member
    Feb 23, 2021
    I wouldnā€™t worry about it too much. It may have gone much better than you think! And regardless, any experience is good experience! The more interviews you will have the more comfortable and at ease you will feel during them, hopefully it will have taken some of the fear factor away from it. Plus most firms do give good levels of feedback post-interview stage so youā€™ll definitely get some useful tips for any future interviews even if it isnā€™t the news youā€™d like. But above all, never assume the PFO! Have the faith and just wait to hear what they say. Good luck šŸ¤ž

Reactions: G P

YFA

Mar 10, 2019
    Can relate so much, especially on my first interview! But it's all part of the learning process and I think it's normal because it's such a new and unnatural experience. With practice I definitely improved, although I still have interviews that make me cringe everyday for a month after it lol. I just try to see it as a win-win: either it went well and you progress with them or you don't and you learn from it and get better with practice. I would write down what you remember being asked so that you can prepare better for the questions that threw you off for if they ever come up again.

Also remember that they interview so many people that they probably won't remember it - that's what I tell myself at least haha.

SamTam99

Legendary Member
    Jan 5, 2021
    Weā€™ve all been there, keep your head up!

My first ever VS interview was absolutely horrific haha, pains me even thinking about it. But, honestly, I learnt so much from it and Iā€™m 100% more confident and calm in my interviews now.

Use it as a learning experience and keep positive, Iā€™m sure youā€™ll smash your next one when it comes along!!

Reactions: G P and OB

Dheepa

Legendary Member
    Staff member
    Future Trainee
    TCLA Moderator
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    M&A Bootcamp
    Junior Lawyer 43
  • Jan 20, 2019
    Guys I have a question to answer for an app:

Describe a situation when you took a personal risk to share a view that was different or unpopular (in no more than 150 words). For example, working on a group project where you had a different opinion to the majority of the group.

How can I answer this? Does anyone have any situational examples? I think the 'personal risk' bit is throwing me off

I think personal risk can refer to things like making you less liked in the group or putting your own position or role at risk if it involved challenging someone more senior on their views? To me this sounds like a question that wants to test if you can balance working within a team (handling different opinions) while maintaining your own professional integrity (the unpopular, personal risk factor) when doing so.

• āœ…
    Reactions: Andrew M and cryingoverTCs

cryingoverTCs

Legendary Member
  • Mar 1, 2020
    Perhaps the personal risk is that what you are suggesting will be unpopular and will change the way others view you? Or perhaps your suggestion may be a great idea with a lot of risk and it might not pan out the way you want it to

I think personal risk can refer to things like making you less liked in the group or putting your own position or role at risk if it involved challenging someone more senior on their views? To me this sounds like a question that wants to test if you can balance working within a team (handling different opinions) while maintaining your own professional integrity (the unpopular, personal risk factor) when doing so.
    Thank you both! These make sense to me!!

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.