2020-21 Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

layla rose

Legendary Member
  • Nov 27, 2020
    I saw a comment earlier regarding a similar topic and was wondering if I could ask for a little guidance?

I have my first AC coming up however I’m struggling a bit in terms of how to prepare. I’ve got two very recent deals of the firm that I’m interested in, I’m just a bit unsure of what areas to read up on in regards for commercial awareness. How much does everyone prepare usually for an AC?
    I pick 2/3 recent firm deals that I genuinely find interesting and are particularly topical (eg education tech/EVs) and then do a whole bunch of wider reading around that topic focusing on different areas - eg environmental/political/social/economic effects. This has really helped me with the follow up questions afterwards and being able to hold a thoughtful discussion!

Reactions: OB

LawGrad2019

Distinguished Member
    Feb 19, 2021
    Congratulations!! Was the Withers offer after 2 interviews? I haven’t heard anything for weeks
    Hi!

I just had the one interview with Withers which was also a long time ago - I suspect they're getting back to people in batches?

You might be thinking of the fact that it was called 'first-round interview'. I think this is because the second round is an AC in the summer for a TC.

Reactions: Alice Manners

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Ashurst VS offer :cool: - will be glad to see @Jony there

Also got rejected by Jones Day earlier at 9AM!(post interview)

Really thought I did well at JD, and messed up at Ashurst's AC, but just goes to show you never know what actually happens.
    Sometimes you get pushed and challenged more when you are doing well in assessments. The interviewers want to see how far your depth on thinking can go, and that can sometimes make it feel like you are not doing well enough, because you ultimately will more likely fumble or struggle to answer the trickier questions. I always say to people that if you feel you haven’t been pushed in an interview that is potentially a bad sign (although not always!).

Congrats on the offer! 🥳🥳🥳

Legallyclueless

Standard Member
    Mar 12, 2021
    Ashurst VS offer :cool: - will be glad to see @Jony there

Also got rejected by Jones Day earlier at 9AM!(post interview)

Really thought I did well at JD, and messed up at Ashurst's AC, but just goes to show you never know what actually happens.
    Congrats on the offer! Did they call or email? I haven’t heard anything yet, hope it’s not a PFO

Reactions: manchunited and Kola

AJLegacy

Star Member
    Jan 25, 2021
    Travers interview!!😮 Over the moon but slightly nervous only have until Tuesday to prepare!
    Does anyone have any advice they could give? Is an hour long partner interview with no specific tests/prep
    You may have seen this already but the questions here may assist with preparation:

M777

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Jul 15, 2019
    Anyone else been waiting for months after doing Mayer Brown's phone interview? Haven't heard a peep since december, though I can see that some have done ACs already and others are starting to receive phone interview invites even now

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Travers interview!!😮 Over the moon but slightly nervous only have until Tuesday to prepare!
    Does anyone have any advice they could give? Is an hour long partner interview with no specific tests/prep
    That is lots of time to prepare really - remember it is only an hour and most of it is going to be talking things you have already thought of or things that arei intrinsically linked back to your existing thoughts/knowledge.

Here are some posts that might be useful:

(2) Travers Smith Interview 2019 - 2020 | The Corporate Law Academy Forum
    (2) Travers Smith Interview | The Corporate Law Academy Forum
    (2) Travers Smith Interview Experience | The Corporate Law Academy Forum
    (2) Travers Smith Interview | The Corporate Law Academy Forum

Last edited:
    • ℹ️
    Reactions: Jaysen, OB and acceleratedlaw

Lawstudent1997

Distinguished Member
    Mar 2, 2021
    Congratulations!! did they ring or email you?
    Thank you! I got an email but I emailed on Tuesday just to enquire about my application because I hadn’t got the standard email saying they were still reviewing and someone from grad recruitment replied to that email offering me an interview- I guess always worth emailing to ask about your application progress?

Reactions: tc.la.vs
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.