2020-21 Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lawstudent1997

Distinguished Member
Mar 2, 2021
You may have seen this already but the questions here may assist with preparation:
Thank you that’s super helpful!

Lawstudent1997

Distinguished Member
Mar 2, 2021
That is lots of time to prepare really - remember i is only an hour and most of it is going to be talking things you have already thought of or things that are intrisicnly linked back to your existing thoughts/knowledge.

Here are some posts that might be useful:

(2) Travers Smith Interview 2019 - 2020 | The Corporate Law Academy Forum
(2) Travers Smith Interview | The Corporate Law Academy Forum
(2) Travers Smith Interview Experience | The Corporate Law Academy Forum
(2) Travers Smith Interview | The Corporate Law Academy Forum
Yeah true its more because I have a seminar Monday so the thought of preparing for an interview on Tuesday too was a bit of a shock! But thank you for these I’ll check them out now🙂

S87

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Sep 4, 2018
Thank you! I got an email but I emailed on Tuesday just to enquire about my application because I hadn’t got the standard email saying they were still reviewing and someone from grad recruitment replied to that email offering me an interview- I guess always worth emailing to ask about your application progress?
now the entire forum is going spam them

I saw a comment earlier regarding a similar topic and was wondering if I could ask for a little guidance?

I have my first AC coming up however I’m struggling a bit in terms of how to prepare. I’ve got two very recent deals of the firm that I’m interested in, I’m just a bit unsure of what areas to read up on in regards for commercial awareness. How much does everyone prepare usually for an AC?
It's hard to quantify 'how much' people prepare for an AC, and I think candidates should prepare until they feel reasonably confident in what they say/being pushed further on what they will say.

Having said that, I answered a similar question here and here (providing a detailed list of commercial/technical knowledge) - take a look and feel free to ask any follow-ups!

Dheepa

Legendary Member
Staff member
Future Trainee
TCLA Moderator
Premium Member
Forum Team
M&A Bootcamp
Junior Lawyer 43
  • Jan 20, 2019
    @Naomi U what do you mean by three areas of commercial awareness - like 3 news stories (e.g Tesla purchasing $1.5B of bitcoin)

I have an NRF AC coming up which includes an interview with 2 partners and very unsure on how to prep for the commercial awarness questions. It's making me very anxious. Can you please advise me on this.

I saw a comment earlier regarding a similar topic and was wondering if I could ask for a little guidance?

I have my first AC coming up however I’m struggling a bit in terms of how to prepare. I’ve got two very recent deals of the firm that I’m interested in, I’m just a bit unsure of what areas to read up on in regards for commercial awareness. How much does everyone prepare usually for an AC?

Just echoing everything that's already been said on this, the best way to prepare for CA questions is to pick an area (i.e. an industry or two) that you're interested in and read about the key developments in those areas. Doing research into specific deals only helps if those deals form part of the context of the story/development you want to discuss. I'd also recommend preparing to answer questions around some of the more general "hot topics" that come up in the news (listening to weekly news podcasts really helps for this). I think for this cycle especially these probably are a) ESG investing and other issues b) SPACs.

Reactions: Daniel Boden

dosblancos7

Legendary Member
    Feb 16, 2019
    Sometimes you get pushed and challenged more when you are doing well in assessments. The interviewers want to see how far your depth on thinking can go, and that can sometimes make it feel like you are not doing well enough, because you ultimately will more likely fumble or struggle to answer the trickier questions. I always say to people that if you feel you haven’t been pushed in an interview that is potentially a bad sign (although not always!).

Congrats on the offer! 🥳🥳🥳
    Thank you very much! Special thanks to you too-your work and responses here has been super helpful and reassuring 😀😀

• Love
    Reactions: Jessica Booker

Legalmel_99

Legendary Member
    Jan 16, 2021
    I just received a VS offer for Mills & Reeve!

I actually cannot believe it - this time last year I was so dejected by the application process after failing to make it past the application stage of the vast majority of my applications. This year I'm sitting on three VS offers from my top three firms. I'm now in the (enviable) position of having to choose which to do and which to turn down...
    This gives me hope ❤️ Massive congratulations!!! It’s amazing to see the turn around and the fact you now get to decide which firms to reject is a big decision

• Love
    Reactions: Andrew M

sam970

Distinguished Member
    Feb 23, 2021
    I’m genuinely curious as to what is causing the spike in applicants
    I think the introduction of remote working has meant people from all over the country are applying. That’s my guess anyway, I know at the firm I’m at they opened locational roles to the entire country with the provision the candidates could work remotely. Lockdown perks pretty much 😂

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
    Staff member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    Hey everyone,

We're currently preparing for the last workshop of TCLA's M&A bootcamp and we're tailoring this one to the litigation issues surrounding an M&A deal.

We have a fair idea of how litigation has come up in the past, but we'd find it really useful to know more about how it may have come elsewhere in interviews (either in a case study or otherwise). This'll then help us to structure our session in the most useful way. Even if it's only slightly related to litigation, we'd still love to hear it!

If you can help, here's a quick Google Form which you can fill out: https://forms.gle/u6B9FW99V7FRzyw37. We'd really appreciate it.

Thank you!

Jaysen

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.