Status
Not open for further replies.

Kubed

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Forum Winner
Junior Lawyer 49
  • Nov 25, 2020
    (Random q) How realistic is it to do the GDL full time and while working full time?
    I worked full-time and did the GDL part-time on a Saturday. It was just about manageable but I had no life, used up most of my annual leave for revision/exams and lost a bunch of Saturdays because classes were for the full day. I managed a good grade and don't have any regrets but I think it really depends on the nature & flexibility of the job - I had pretty set hours and although there was a fair bit of international travel, I could largely plan these trips to work around my GDL schedule. I don't think I would've managed it if I was doing the full-time GDL.

Reactions: deckoking123

ab1147

Esteemed Member
    Jan 21, 2021
    Hey so on the insight scheme it was a letter-writing exercise! Pretty straight forward wasn’t really testing legal knowledge just more on your accuracy etc as they made us switch off all speck check on our Word when we did it. I’ve done one at another firm which was writing an email explaining terms of a contract but the one I did for HD was much more straight forward x
    Thank you thats so reassuring! so nothing you can really prepare for I suppose!

Reactions: Num

Legal_rawn

Legendary Member
    Forum Winner
    Dec 21, 2019
    Sorry to be a big cloud of negativity today but does anyone else just feel like giving up? I have A*A*A at A-level, go to a top RG uni with a solid 2.1 and some firsts (got an 84% once magically), have loads of extra-circulars including music sport and societies, have worked part time since I was 16, two formal work experience schemes yet still can’t get a TC offer? I know everyone works hard but I can’t help feeling like it’s wasted effort :( I literally do nothing but my uni work and applications but it feels like I shouldn’t have bothered

M1999

Legendary Member
    Nov 28, 2019
    Thank you! I got an email but I emailed on Tuesday just to enquire about my application because I hadn’t got the standard email saying they were still reviewing and someone from grad recruitment replied to that email offering me an interview- I guess always worth emailing to ask about your application progress?
    Congratulations- so happy for you! Could I ask what email you used to ask them? I’m wondering if I should use the cv mail one that they sent me or do a new email with their offiicial address. Thankyou!

Reactions: Lawstudent1997

tractor12

Legendary Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Oct 6, 2019
    Sorry to be a big cloud of negativity today but does anyone else just feel like giving up? I have A*A*A at A-level, go to a top RG uni with a solid 2.1 and some firsts (got an 84% once magically), have loads of extra-circulars including music sport and societies, have worked part time since I was 16, two formal work experience schemes yet still can’t get a TC offer? I know everyone works hard but I can’t help feeling like it’s wasted effort :( I literally do nothing but my uni work and applications but it feels like I shouldn’t have bothered
    Sounds like you have a great profile. Have you been making any progress with your applications?

tractor12

Legendary Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Oct 6, 2019
    I’ve had a couple of ACs and video interviews with no success but got a VS last year so thought that would make this year easier but that has not been the case at all!
    I also had a better cycle last year and I think the general feeling is that it's just been more competitive this year.

The fact you've made it to these stages shows your hard work definitely hasn't been for nothing! The areas you need to improve on are probably not your grades or your experiences but whatever the reasons were for not progressing through your ACs/VS. You've clearly got what it takes so just carry on working hard and trying to work out your areas for improvement and you will get there!

Lawstudent1997

Distinguished Member
    Mar 2, 2021
    Congratulations- so happy for you! Could I ask what email you used to ask them? I’m wondering if I should use the cv mail one that they sent me or do a new email with their offiicial address. Thankyou!
    I used the email that grad recruitment sent me- I applied in October for the summer scheme so they emailed me to say they wouldn’t be reviewing apps til 17th Jan so I just replied to that email- the email was [email protected] hope that helps!

• 🏆
    Reactions: M1999

ola830

Star Member
    Jan 9, 2021
    I'd consider this broadly as a cover letter - generally about a page to a page and a half of A4 typed in size 12 is about the acceptable limit :)

Try not to focus too much on word count in the abstract, though - focus more so on content and style: a succinct, 350-word answer hitting all the key points will be regarded as better than a 600-word answer, of which 250 words are filler. Try to say everything as clearly, concisely and succinctly as possible and then consider your word count as a secondary issue :)
    I think you could go up to around 800 words if you wanted to.
    Thank you!

G P

Star Member
    Jul 13, 2020
    I know it's hard, but try not to be disheartened. In many ways, I feel the same, I have the same grades, go to a fantastic university where I'm likely to graduate with a first, and like to think I've got some colourful and valuable extra-curricular experiences. However, unfortunately, sometimes this just isn't enough. But never feel like it's a wasted effort - it only takes one application to get you that VS or TC! Be proud and take confidence in your VS last year - you clearly have all the attributes needed to secure one, it might just be a problem of fit for the particular firms you've applied to? It's also worth considering how different this year is, and how many more applications firms have received - this is a very competitive year. From someone who has just received a PFO for their last outstanding application, keep your head up and keep going! I'm sure something will come up :)

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.