2020-21 Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sekani Wraith

Valued Member
Aug 26, 2020
For anyone having any success throughout the recruitment process with Willkie, just saw this today. Might be worth bracing yourselves!

https://www.rollonfriday.com/news-c...rs-bullying-caused-breakdowns-ambulance-calls

Willkie Farr PR dept rn:

View attachment 3159

I'm being flippant here but, if this is true, it's absolutely appalling and should never have been allowed in the first place. I also think it's 100% worth people knowing about - I don't see it as 'scaring people', but actually allowing them to make a full and rounded judgement over whether or not they should consider applying or accepting offers there.

It is probably a terrible idea to bring this up to the firm during a vacation scheme, the last thing you want to do is put them on the defensive. But it's not something that can be ignored either. What would you do if you were in the running for Willkie @Jacob Miller ?

Reactions: M777

Daniel Boden

Legendary Member
Trainee
Highest Rated Member
  • Sep 6, 2018
    It is probably a terrible idea to bring this up to the firm during a vacation scheme, the last thing you want to do is put them on the defensive. But it's not something that can be ignored either. What would you do if you were in the running for Willkie @Jacob Miller ?
    A way to gently see if you can get an answer would be to ask various lawyers questions such as: "how have you found your time at Wilkie? What makes you want to get up and work for the firm on a Monday morning?" My advice would be to broach the topic very gently and subtly. Obviously, this is just my experience but chances are on your scheme you'll be able to have very frank and 'off the record' conversations with your trainee buddy if you can build a good relationship with them (I was able to on the schemes I did) so that may be the time to do so but obviously use your judgement as to whether or not that would be appropriate.

Reactions: Jaysen

Daniel Boden

Legendary Member
    Trainee
    Highest Rated Member
  • Sep 6, 2018
    Willkie Farr PR dept rn:

View attachment 3159

I'm being flippant here but, if this is true, it's absolutely appalling and should never have been allowed in the first place. I also think it's 100% worth people knowing about - I don't see it as 'scaring people', but actually allowing them to make a full and rounded judgement over whether or not they should consider applying or accepting offers there.
    "Tyranto"... I'd be laughing if the topic of the article wasn't so serious but that's appalling to read - will be interesting to see how the firm responds! Reckon it will need a bit more of a weighty statement than what Buckingham Palace gave last week...

Sekani Wraith

Valued Member
    Aug 26, 2020
    A way to gently see if you can get an answer would be to ask various lawyers questions such as: "how have you found your time at Wilkie? What makes you want to get up and work for the firm on a Monday morning?" My advice would be to broach the topic very gently and subtly. Obviously, this is just my experience but chances are on your scheme you'll be able to have very frank and 'off the record' conversations with your trainee buddy if you can build a good relationship with them (I was able to on the schemes I did) so that may be the time to do so but obviously use your judgement as to whether or not that would be appropriate.

Thank you for this. However, Willkie doesn't have any trainees at the moment so vacation schemers will probably have a junior associate mentor. I'm not sure you could be as frank with a junior associate as you could a trainee. Also, whenever you ask anyone about the culture of their firm, they always sing the firm's praises. I can't imagine a situation where someone at the firm will admit that their culture is toxic, or that there are partners to steer away from.

Hemmy

Oct 12, 2020
    Has anyone STILL not heard back from Taylor Wessing (post-AC) ?? I got the email saying that they still haven't made a decision yet a few weeks ago and still no outcome despite a round of PFO's from them today. the wait is killing me :( also are all of their AC's finished now?

• Sad
    Reactions: OB and Roch1234

Daniel Boden

Legendary Member
    Trainee
    Highest Rated Member
  • Sep 6, 2018
    Thank you for this. However, Willkie doesn't have any trainees at the moment so vacation schemers will probably have a junior associate mentor. I'm not sure you could be as frank with a junior associate as you could a trainee. Also, whenever you ask anyone about the culture of their firm, they always sing the firm's praises. I can't imagine a situation where someone at the firm will admit that their culture is toxic, or that there are partners to steer away from.
    Ah I see okay yeah it's a tricky one. Tbf I remember at my Kirkland AC somehow literally asked one of the partners what they would say to the negative press about the firm's perceived aggressive/highly-competitive culture and they got a very reasonable response and appreciated the question so if you were to phrase it delicately, asking a lawyer in a more private/1-1 basis may be an option?

If it were me, I'd probably gently say to my supervisor that I had seen a negative article about the firm in the legal press recently and wondered if he had any comment on it. If he declines to answer or doesn't feel comfortable then I think that probably tells you what you need to know but I would be amazed if that were to count against you and if it did, you probably wouldn't want to work there anyway! Firms are well aware that vac schemes are a two-way process for candidates so I'm sure they'd be expecting some tough questions if they were justified.

Perhaps @Jessica Booker would be able to share her insights from her experience as a recruiter?

Celestie

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    2020 Community Winner
  • Nov 14, 2020
    Reactions: OB and summer207

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
    Staff member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    Willkie Farr PR dept rn:

View attachment 3159

Agreed - once you're in the legal profession, I think it can feel like there is no-one to turn to at times (over fears of someone at the firm finding out). I'd like to think at TCLA we can have open/sensible discussions about stories like this :).

summer207

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Jan 22, 2021
    This may depend on the person though (I may be biased because I’ve got a mentor at WF and we’ve built a great relationship so she’s been honest about the good and the bad). The news is horrible and I might actually bring this up with her in our next call 🤔

Sekani Wraith

Valued Member
    Aug 26, 2020
    Ah I see okay yeah it's a tricky one. Tbf I remember at my Kirkland AC somehow literally asked one of the partners what they would say to the negative press about the firm's perceived aggressive/highly-competitive culture and they got a very reasonable response and appreciated the question so if you were to phrase it delicately, asking a lawyer in a more private/1-1 basis may be an option?

If it were me, I'd probably gently say to my supervisor that I had seen a negative article about the firm in the legal press recently and wondered if he had any comment on it. If he declines to answer or doesn't feel comfortable then I think that probably tells you what you need to know but I would be amazed if that were to count against you and if it did, you probably wouldn't want to work there anyway! Firms are well aware that vac schemes are a two-way process for candidates so I'm sure they'd be expecting some tough questions if they were justified.

Perhaps @Jessica Booker would be able to share her insights from her experience as a recruiter?

Thank you very much!

• 🤝
    Reactions: Daniel Boden

Asil Ahmad

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Forum Winner
  • Mar 29, 2020

So following your reply. I wanted to ask if you ask a partner this and they decline to answer will that mean the tc is gone and you should receive a rejection. It is just an observation.

Jacob Miller

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Team
  • Feb 15, 2020
    It's not something I'd personally look to bring up at interview, but it's something I'd want to know about in advance of accepting any sort of offer there :)

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.