2020-21 Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

GK8997

Legendary Member
M&A Bootcamp
Sep 25, 2020
Dechert VI invite! (summer scheme). If anyone has any tips would be greatly appreciated :) very little information on the email...
I would say just prep the typical competency/ commercial/ motivational questions you would for a normal interview! There's nothing particularly 'out there' in the interview!

• Love
Reactions: Silas

AA99

Forum Winner
Jan 26, 2021
Anybody that has done the Mcquaig mental agility test, were you able to access full test papers for free? I can only find one free full test online and the paid ones are not cheap at all... Thanks!

Andrew M

Legendary Member
Forum Winner
Jan 7, 2020
When people say they hear back over the phone - is that just for final TC offers? I've only ever had emails for VS offers. If I'm rejected at the final TC stage, should I be expecting a phone call or an email? Or is this something that completely varies between firms?
Mine have been mixed. My first two AC's were rejections via a phone call. It isn't too pleasant but at least you can ask for feedback without chasing somebody up or booking a time. Of the three offers I received this cycle, two were sent in an email and one was over the phone.

Reactions: JoNo

GK8997

Legendary Member
M&A Bootcamp
Sep 25, 2020
When people say they hear back over the phone - is that just for final TC offers? I've only ever had emails for VS offers. If I'm rejected at the final TC stage, should I be expecting a phone call or an email? Or is this something that completely varies between firms?
I think it depends, both of my offers so far have been over the phone and any rejections have been via email but think it varies by firm!

els124

Distinguished Member
Sep 26, 2020
Some firms call back regarding TC offers whether you’re successful or unsuccessful. That way you don’t have to chase them for feedback if you’re unsuccessful because they give it to you when they tell you the outcome. Some firms just email if you’re successful for a VS rather than calling

Could we maybe make a communal spreadsheet showing which firms do what?
I have a tendency to miss calls so would be really helpful to know if a particular firm is going to contact me via email or not

Reactions: Adrian_Healey

josemourinho

Star Member
Feb 19, 2021
One firm explicitly told us at the AC for the VS that if it was a phone call, you had been successful and if it was an email you were unsuccessful. Very blunt and made it terrifying to check your emails but it was very helpful to have the transparency.

liverpoollawyer

Esteemed Member
Feb 10, 2021
Hi guys just wanted some ideas. How would you approach the question: “Do you find there are enough hours in the day to complete your to-do list?”

Are they looking for honesty here, like admitting sometimes there may not be and what you do to help that ie making sure th left over tasks are prioritised the next day etc? Thanks!

Kubed

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Forum Winner
Junior Lawyer 49
  • Nov 25, 2020
    Arghh waiting for an interview outcome and just had a call.....
    It was a spam call from 'HM Revenue & Customs'
    Oh My God Omg GIF by Laff

LegalNim

Legendary Member
    Nov 14, 2019
    Hi guys just wanted some ideas. How would you approach the question: “Do you find there are enough hours in the day to complete your to-do list?”

Are they looking for honesty here, like admitting sometimes there may not be and what you do to help that ie making sure th left over tasks are prioritised the next day etc? Thanks!
    I said no when asked this question. I'm ambitious - if I've achieved everything that I want to achieve then I've set my expectations too low. There's always more to do - always. I assume it's a "there's no right answer" question here but, from my perspective, if you're always completing your to-do list then it's probably because your list is too short rather than anything you're doing right.

els124

Distinguished Member
    Sep 26, 2020

I definitely wouldn't answer with a straight "yes", because I don't think they'd buy it.
    I'd talk about the importance of time management and organisation and give an example of a time when you had a lot to do and were very structured in your approach and it paid off

Reactions: Andrew M

Andrew M

Legendary Member
    Forum Winner
    Jan 7, 2020
    I said no when asked this question. I'm ambitious - if I've achieved everything that I want to achieve then I've set my expectations too low. There's always more to do - always. I assume it's a "there's no right answer" question here but, from my perspective, if you're always completing your to-do list then it's probably because your list is too short rather than anything you're doing right.
    Not to say that your approach isn't a good way of answering but it isn't how I personally would answer. While being ambitious is a good thing, stretching yourself too thin isn't. There's a skill in knowing how to balance your workload. If you just say yes to every task put your way then there's a danger that your productivity and quality of work will inevitably become compromised.

liverpoollawyer

Esteemed Member
    Feb 10, 2021
    I definitely wouldn't answer with a straight "yes", because I don't think they'd buy it.
    I'd talk about the importance of time management and organisation and give an example of a time when you had a lot to do and were very structured in your approach and it paid off
    Not to say that your approach isn't a good way of answering but it isn't how I personally would answer. While being ambitious is a good thing, stretching yourself too thin isn't. There's a skill in knowing how to balance your workload. If you just say yes to every task put your way then there's a danger that your productivity and quality of work will inevitably become compromised.
    Some really interesting points here, thank you!

Kubed

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Winner
    Junior Lawyer 49
  • Nov 25, 2020
    My personal take is that it's more nuanced than this. While I'm ambitious, I would answer the question by stating that I would want to strike a balance between completing everything on the list and doing everything on it to a good/excellent standard. Yes, high expectations can be set but there's also got to be some realism & flexibility in there as to what can feasibly be achieved.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.