2020-21 Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

lozza_2

Distinguished Member
Nov 25, 2019
Because firms experience people accepting a TC for a later date and then reneging when they can start a TC earlier.

It could also be SQE related. As I understand it, Reed Smith‘s SQE model will be you start as a graduate and work alongside completing the SQE exams, so they don’t need people to have the time lag between graduating and starting a TC.
Oh I see....but I still think it is annoying for them to do that. I wouldn’t have applied otherwise if I didn’t want to start a TC in 2023 provided I was successful....and in reality, I think the majority of firms are recruiting for 2023/2024 so it is not like there are so many options out there where I can get a TC before 2023.

I received this email too but then in the next paragraph it stated:

'We appreciate that all circumstances are different and so if you still wish to continue with your application then please feel free to email us at [email protected]'

So I assume we can just email them and say we want our application to still be considered?

Reactions: AJLegacy

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Oh I see....but I still think it is annoying for them to do that. I wouldn’t have applied otherwise if I didn’t want to start a TC in 2023 provided I was successful....and in reality, I think the majority of firms are recruiting for 2023/2024 so it is not like there are so many options out there where I can get a TC before 2023.
A lot of firms are recruiting for 2023/24 knowing they will be putting people either through the GDL/LPC in the time gap between them graduating and starting a TC, or on an equivalent SQE prep course.

Reed Smith aren’t taking that approach. They will be recruiting people with no need to study between graduating and starting a TC, and so someone would have 2-3 years out doing nothing.

• ℹ️
Reactions: Lily721

GK8997

Legendary Member
M&A Bootcamp
Sep 25, 2020
I definitely agree, the market is so competitive out there so I think a lot of people will want to have a TC regardless of when it's start date is (especially if it's at a firm they really like!)

Reactions: Lily721 and S87

Lily721

Legendary Member
Premium Member
  • Oct 7, 2020
    I received this email too but then in the next paragraph it stated:

'We appreciate that all circumstances are different and so if you still wish to continue with your application then please feel free to email us at [email protected]'

So I assume we can just email them and say we want our application to still be considered?
    True, but this process is so competitive this year that I feel like any delay in moving between the stages can be decisive....and who knows how long it will take them to respond back following an email that I want to continue with my application.

RoughWood

Legendary Member
    Trainee
    Feb 24, 2021
    Hi guys just wanted some ideas. How would you approach the question: “Do you find there are enough hours in the day to complete your to-do list?”

Are they looking for honesty here, like admitting sometimes there may not be and what you do to help that ie making sure th left over tasks are prioritised the next day etc? Thanks!
    I would view this as emphasising the importance of time management and prioritisation, and ensuring that deadlines are clear if being assigned a piece of work.
    A simple line referring to how sometimes there can be spontaneous pieces of work that require your immediate attention so ensuring an open line of communication with your supervisors is paramount. Some deadlines are fixed and some can be flexible but always keep people up to date regarding when a piece of work can be realistically expected to be complete.

djqb

Legendary Member
    Sep 6, 2020
    Hey everybody - I've just been invited for Stephenson Harwood's online critical reasoning test.

I'd really appreciate it if anybody has any tips regarding the same, if they've done it before. Is it like the Watson Glaser test, or is it similar to any other kinds of tests? This is my first time doing the Stephenson Harwood test, and I'd very much appreciate some insight.

Thanks as always!

tractor12

Legendary Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Oct 6, 2019
    Hey everybody - I've just been invited for Stephenson Harwood's online critical reasoning test.

I'd really appreciate it if anybody has any tips regarding the same, if they've done it before. Is it like the Watson Glaser test, or is it similar to any other kinds of tests? This is my first time doing the Stephenson Harwood test, and I'd very much appreciate some insight.

Thanks as always!
    Its a WG test!

Reactions: djqb

OB

Legendary Member
    2020 Community Winner
    Junior Lawyer
  • Feb 10, 2020
    Are there any graduates (law grad 2020) who didn't receive an email from Reed Smith withdrawing them? Did the people who get emailed graduate earlier, and are they waiting post-research questions? TIA x

Reactions: Silas

Bakers Junior Lawyer

Star Member
    Premium Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Mar 5, 2019

Thanks as always!
    Congrats on the Invite, man! Rooting for you.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.