2020-21 Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can anyone please help about "where should we open a new office and why"? Really struggling with this question and have an AC very soon. Not sure even where to start - it's for NRF and they have offices everywhere.

@Neville Birdi perhaps you can help here since you have been part of this year's app cycle heavily - I'd really appreciate it!
@Jacob Miller @Dheepa could use some help here since you both done an NRF AC

If I was tasked with this question, I'd approach it in quite a mechanical and mercenary way. First, identify all the offices the firm has around the world. Have that list? Great - those locations are one's you can't pick.

Now, as you have identified, there are probably several areas which you might have wanted to pick but now can't. Nevertheless, there will be options open to you. To identify the best options, consider the largest and most pertinent macroeconomic trends. What are those trends? Where (geographically) are they most keenly felt/going to be most keenly felt? What are the ramifications, commercially and legally speaking, of such a trend?

Once you have answered those questions, you should have not only identified certain geographical areas which you might want to 'select', but also good reasons for choosing them. Compare the areas you have selected with the list of offices NRF already has. If there are any mismatches - fantastic, you now have a country where you can argue NRF should set up an office, and a rough idea why they should set up that office. Do a little more research into that country - its microeconomic affairs etc. and there you have it: an answer that identifies a unique country for NRF to set up another office with justifications that are both on an international and a domestic level!

Alison C

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Forum Winner
  • Nov 27, 2019
    does anyone have knowledge about the Greensill Capital scandal? I’ve read a couple articles especially the recent one about Cameron lobbying to get finance for it from the treasury but feel quite out of my depth with it!
    Aha. @Jaysen said that there might be a market for this when I did something for today's newsletter. It's a bit of a tangle but I hope the piece makes it a little clearer. It's fairly well-covered on the BBC website, also the FT and Bloomberg. I can send you a bunch of links in a DM if you are feeling keen but maybe that was last week's vibe? The piece will also go up on the website next week.

A

Anon 11031

If I was tasked with this question, I'd approach it in quite a mechanical and mercenary way. First, identify all the offices the firm has around the world. Have that list? Great - those locations are one's you can't pick.

Now, as you have identified, there are probably several areas which you might have wanted to pick but now can't. Nevertheless, there will be options open to you. To identify the best options, consider the largest and most pertinent macroeconomic trends. What are those trends? Where (geographically) are they most keenly felt/going to be most keenly felt? What are the ramifications, commercially and legally speaking, of such a trend?

Once you have answered those questions, you should have not only identified certain geographical areas which you might want to 'select', but also good reasons for choosing them. Compare the areas you have selected with the list of offices NRF already has. If there are any mismatches - fantastic, you now have a country where you can argue NRF should set up an office, and a rough idea why they should set up that office. Do a little more research into that country - its microeconomic affairs etc. and there you have it: an answer that identifies a unique country for NRF to set up another office with justifications that are both on an international and a domestic level!

Can anyone please help about "where should we open a new office and why"? Really struggling with this question and have an AC very soon. Not sure even where to start - it's for NRF and they have offices everywhere.

@Neville Birdi perhaps you can help here since you have been part of this year's app cycle heavily - I'd really appreciate it!
    @Jacob Miller @Dheepa could use some help here since you both done an NRF AC
    I'm not applying to NRF, but I do know their key sectors are finance and tech - right? I do know that Leeds (and the north of the UK generally) are very up and coming in terms of both the financial and tech sectors. There's lot of development up here at the moment and major names, such as Channel 4, have moved their headquarters up to Leeds. This might be too narrow because I don't know if they want you to answer this question on a global scale, but it was the first thing that came to my mind. Hope that might help trigger some ideas at least.

Mick Channon

Standard Member
    Jan 12, 2021
    Got the rejection from V&E just now too. Tbh i found their interview style a bit off putting and they really didn’t seem interested in ask me many questions so not surprised
    Hey, just saw this - I had precisely the same experience. Was a bit gutted as I was really excited, having heard good things about the firm! Didn't ask about extra-curriculars or anything.

cmaj

Legendary Member
    Forum Winner
  • Sep 18, 2019

Can confirm, this is generally the structure I follow when approaching this question!!!! I think it's a fairly good question to prepare before an interview as you can really nail it if you do your research.

I know I wasn't asked but to add to this, I also look at if there are any areas where the firm's key competitors have offices and factor that into my discussion of why I would/wouldn't open an office there. Entering a new market is great but it's subject to heavy regulation. It's important to get it right by making sure there will be a return on investment, i.e. sufficient client demand.

One point that I was commended on when answering this question in a recent interview was discussing the reality of opening an office in that location as well. For example, what is the attraction to that location, what's the government framework for incoming or new talent, how appealing is that? How will the business then retain that talent e.g. affordable housing, cost of living, pension etc.

TemiO

Feb 16, 2021
    Hi guys,

I recently had a rejection from Debevoise & Plimpton for their vacation scheme, but I was told by their Graduate Recruitment team that they were writing to me personally because they were impressed with my application and to apply again next year. Is that genuine or is it just fluff to soften the blow of the rejection?

Reactions: SF1234
    A

Anon 11031

Hope finishing a strength-based interview AC in 15 mins and spending the remaining 45 minutes recommending/discussing podcasts is a good sign - for anyone wondering this was Kennedys TC interview
    Any interview that's ended like this I've always landed the job. I think your interviewer being able to see you as easy to get on with means they're more likely to have a lasting impression. Well done on the interview!

lilli

Star Member
    Jan 16, 2021
    BLM vac scheme offer :eek::eek::eek: so shocked I thought I had blown it with my interview so just shows that you never know !! This is my first offer, did 14 apps and got to AC for 2!

Not an active poster on TCLA but have been bit of a lurker hahah - it's been soooo helpful for information and support so thanks everyone !!! Especially @Jacob Miller 's fantastic articles !!

Daniel Boden

Legendary Member
    Trainee
    Highest Rated Member
  • Sep 6, 2018
    Hey, just saw this - I had precisely the same experience. Was a bit gutted as I was really excited, having heard good things about the firm! Didn't ask about extra-curriculars or anything.
    I'm curious, would you be willing to share why (feel free to DM if you'd rather not say publicly)? What did the interviewers do or not do that made you feel disappointed especially?

Daniel Boden

Legendary Member
    Trainee
    Highest Rated Member
  • Sep 6, 2018
    BLM vac scheme offer :eek::eek::eek: so shocked I thought I had blown it with my interview so just shows that you never know !! This is my first offer, did 14 apps and got to AC for 2!

Not an active poster on TCLA but have been bit of a lurker hahah - it's been soooo helpful for information and support so thanks everyone !!! Especially @Jacob Miller 's fantastic articles !!
    Huge congrats! Best of luck for the scheme :)

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.