Future Trainee
TCLA Moderator
Premium Member
Forum Team
M&A Bootcamp
Junior Lawyer 43
  • Jan 20, 2019
    Hey guys!

I'm feeling a little deflated and wondering if anyone had any advice or tips. I'm currently I'm my last semester of uni (full time), working full time (42 hours a week but I'm salaried so some days more) and also trying to get the motivation to complete TC applications. I can't really do VS apps because of work commitments and I just don't have the time.

Does anyone have any tips on motivation? Or how many firms to apply for in these circumstances? I just feel like I'm not doing enough - you know? I've picked maybe 6-8 firms to apply for but I'm worried that not being able to complete like 20 applications is seriously hurting my chances.

Sorry if this is a bit of a ramble, I just feel lost and drained!

Hey! For what it's worth I'm super amazed/impressed that you're managing a full time job + uni + applications. I feel like my measly part-time job took up so much of my time at uni, so I can only imagine what you're going through. Honestly shout out to you for doing it all, because not many people can.

You're most definitely doing enough by sticking to 6-8 apps. My first app cycle I only did 10 and I think that's the average number most students (who generally don't have your commitments) manage to do anyway, so you're more than okay with the 6-8 apps. As someone else has said, quality > quantity. I also think application writing is best done in chunks, i.e breaking up your time across several days a week. So I'd suggest trying to build a small reasonable schedule for yourself on how many hours in across a number of days you can spend researching and writing and perhaps that will make you feel less overwhelmed.

There's also this amazing post by a forum user with more detailed advice. The whole thread is worth reading actually. I really hope it helps. Best of luck with your TC apps, I've got my fingers crossed for you!

Dheepa

Legendary Member
    Staff member
    Future Trainee
    TCLA Moderator
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    M&A Bootcamp
    Junior Lawyer 43
  • Jan 20, 2019
    I fear that because my chances are slim and i do apply and get rejected, I’d have reapplied too soon without much changing in my app and “missed my chance” with that firm :/

While your app does need to have been updated/changed if you're re-applying, remember that it doesn't mean you need completely new and different experiences from when you last applied. Often times changing your app to get it past the app stage has more to do with selling your existing experiences better, demonstrating more in-depth research into the firm and articulating your motivations more strongly. Basically, you don't have to change the substance of your app entirely, just start by thinking about where you can provide more examples and highlight your experiences better. Don't let the fear of not having enough of a changed app alone put you off from applying!

HorsesForCoursesNeighNeighNeigh

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Premium Member
    Forum Winner
    M&A Bootcamp
    Dec 1, 2020
    Hey guys!

I'm feeling a little deflated and wondering if anyone had any advice or tips. I'm currently I'm my last semester of uni (full time), working full time (42 hours a week but I'm salaried so some days more) and also trying to get the motivation to complete TC applications. I can't really do VS apps because of work commitments and I just don't have the time.

Does anyone have any tips on motivation? Or how many firms to apply for in these circumstances? I just feel like I'm not doing enough - you know? I've picked maybe 6-8 firms to apply for but I'm worried that not being able to complete like 20 applications is seriously hurting my chances.

Sorry if this is a bit of a ramble, I just feel lost and drained!

If you're really short on time but want to up your application numbers, one thing you could do is sign up for lots of different firms to see their questions, and identify ones where you have already answered the majority of Qs before? So for e.g. if you only had to redraft 2 out of 5 questions for a firm that was on your longlist you might be able to get some more off quickly? You might be able to locate 3 or 4 firms you could apply for now with a smaller resource requirement.

But it sounds like you have already done loads and have plans to do loads, so no need to push yourself harder. Especially if it will impact your grades--ultimately you are in a way better position if you graduate now with a great degree, even if it means doing applications in winter.

As someone who has also done the study-work nightmare, I don't think my approach was healthy but basically: sugar free red bull, really aggressive club music playlists, live and die by your spreadsheets that itemise your life!

Reactions: ZaraB

to law or not to law?

Distinguished Member
    Dec 30, 2018
    Hi does anyone have tips on how to improve a rejected vac scheme application to apply for a direct TC at the same firm in the same cycle? I have gotten extra experience since the rejection but not sure what else to do, especially regarding my answers to the application questions

jan28

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    M&A Bootcamp
    Sep 12, 2019
    It is strange and not that I know of and this is the second time this has happened to me like for Macfarlanes direct TC also only I received a rejection. Do law firms, not like me.
    There may be others who also got the same as you but are just not on tcla so don’t be too harsh on yourself! Remember how many law students/applicants there are. Good luck for your other apps :)

Asil Ahmad

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Forum Winner
  • Mar 29, 2020
    There may be others who also got the same as you but are just not on tcla so don’t be too harsh on yourself! Remember how many law students/applicants there are. Good luck for your other apps :)
    It is the second time this has happened to me so who knows.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.