2020-21 Direct Training Contract Applications Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

chromaticaqueen

Star Member
  • Jan 12, 2021
    Hey everyone! I hope you're all good and looking forward to some semblance of normality in the near future....

Following my vac scheme apps to 4 firms and making it to the final stages of 3 of them before being binned, I'm finally picking myself up and getting ready to face the application beast again - this time for direct TC apps. Again, this will be my first time applying for direct TC's having made the career change decision last summer so I'm still fresh and naive to all this (but getting more and more knowledgeable as time goes on!)...

I was wondering some things...

1) Applying to firms for direct TC that rejected your vac scheme app - is it a waste of time this year around?

2) Urgency with getting apps in - I am aware that many direct TC apps are open well into the summer and late July (great!) - but is there the same urgency with getting them in the sooner the better?

3) I'm nervous to apply to all the firms I want and to face rejections from them all - if I go to apply to them next year again, I fear there may be little I could add to an app this late in the year in time for next - is there an argument to save a few as contingency or does it not really matter and it's all part of the gig (applying multiple times before getting into one, that is).

4) Any top tips please! x

Thank you for all your help and I hope you are all flourishing and thriving during these stressful times!
    I've learnt there's more to life than securing one of these mysterious and ungraspable positions... Our day will come eventually... haha

X

• 🤝
    Reactions: Zay and Daniel Boden

N.9

Valued Member
    Junior Lawyer
  • Jan 1, 2021
    Hey everyone! I hope you're all good and looking forward to some semblance of normality in the near future....

Following my vac scheme apps to 4 firms and making it to the final stages of 3 of them before being binned, I'm finally picking myself up and getting ready to face the application beast again - this time for direct TC apps. Again, this will be my first time applying for direct TC's having made the career change decision last summer so I'm still fresh and naive to all this (but getting more and more knowledgeable as time goes on!)...

1) Applying to firms for direct TC that rejected your vac scheme app - is it a waste of time this year around?

2) Urgency with getting apps in - I am aware that many direct TC apps are open well into the summer and late July (great!) - but is there the same urgency with getting them in the sooner the better?

3) I'm nervous to apply to all the firms I want and to face rejections from them all - if I go to apply to them next year again, I fear there may be little I could add to an app this late in the year in time for next - is there an argument to save a few as contingency or does it not really matter and it's all part of the gig (applying multiple times before getting into one, that is).

Thank you for all your help and I hope you are all flourishing and thriving during these stressful times!
    I've learnt there's more to life than securing one of these mysterious and ungraspable positions... Our day will come eventually... haha

X
    Hi there @chromaticaqueen! Really sorry to hear about the rejections at the final stages, but you did incredibly to get that far, especially in one cycle - and not just ANY cycle - this monster of a cycle! That is a massive achievement.

A bit about my experience applying to TCs this time of the year - I personally have only received very limited success applying this side of the year. So it's not impossible, but also this was during a more 'normal' cycle so I think I would say everything's in the air - it's always worth a shot.

I would also say, apply as early as possible and do so steadily in order to both maintain motivation and momentum, but also so your quality remains tip top. It's a delicate balance, but I would definitely say the sooner the better, where it's not going to alter quality.

As with applications for next year, I wouldn't worry too much about this and instead focus on doing the apps that you think are a priority - firms will not hold it against you if you are unsuccessful and reapply next cycle.

I hope so - we will get there!!! Best of luck!!

Reactions: chromaticaqueen

Dheepa

Legendary Member
    Staff member
    Future Trainee
    TCLA Moderator
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    M&A Bootcamp
    Junior Lawyer 43
  • Jan 20, 2019

X

Hey! I'm sorry about the rejections you've gotten but you must be a really strong candidate to have made it to ACs for three firms and in your first app cycle as well! I'm sure your TC offer isn't that far off. To answer your questions:

1. Make sure to check first if the firm allows you to re-apply within the same cycle. Most firms don't but if the firm does then it's definitely not a waste! I got rejected by a firm for the VS but the TC app I submitted in the same cycle was successful. Just make sure to improve your application before re-applying.

2. Urgency is only a factor if the applications are reviewed on a rolling basis. Even then, while it is a safe bet to submit as early as possible, even submitting say two weeks before the deadline puts you quite a bit ahead of most other applicants.

3. I wouldn't recommend saving your apps in this way. You have nothing to lose and everything to gain by re-applying. With regards to having less to add on to the application, sometimes it has less to do with adding experiences and more to do with explaining/selling those experiences better, demonstrating more in-depth research into the firm, etc. When I re-applied to that firm I mentioned in point 1, I had no new experiences. I was just far more convincing when utilising those experiences to explain my motivations.

4. Top tip - Be strategic about which firms you apply to. Most US firms almost exclusively recruit from VS so the chances of success are far lower than firms which do recruit heavily from TC (A&O, Freshfields, Slaughters, NRF etc.)

I hope that helps and good luck with the applications!

Reactions: chromaticaqueen

E.A

Legendary Member
    M&A Bootcamp
    Junior Lawyer
    Dec 11, 2019
    Waiting to hear from Baker McKenzie post app like

Confused Ramy Youssef GIF by Golden Globes

MLF

Valued Member
  • Mar 15, 2021
    Hi all, has anyone applied to Howard Kennedy? From their website it sounds like they go straight from the written application to the AC, is that correct or are they other stages?

Many thanks,

Marie

Law2022

Legendary Member
    May 3, 2020
    I submitted my app on the 8th March and got an invite for the test on the 11th March, so three days later. But I haven’t heard anything since then.
    Do you mind if I ask how the test is? I'm normally not very good at these things and feeling quite apprehensive! Good luck to you anyway :)

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.