2020-21 Direct Training Contract Applications Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

M1999

Legendary Member
Nov 28, 2019
Is anyone applying to direct TC without legal work experience? I am struggling to get work experience shadowing at this point, and I don’t know if it’s worth it.

Law2022

Legendary Member
May 3, 2020
Is anyone applying to direct TC without legal work experience? I am struggling to get work experience shadowing at this point, and I don’t know if it’s worth it.
I would say so! I submitted a successful application to NRF for direct TC and the only 'legal' work experience I have completed was online. An internship, insidesherpa etc but no formal vac scheme or solicitor shadowing for example. However, I think if you have non-legal work experience and really explain the transferable skills that will benefit you on your TC then I think you will be fine! (Just my opinion)

M1999

Legendary Member
Nov 28, 2019
I would say so! I submitted a successful application to NRF for direct TC and the only 'legal' work experience I have completed was online. An internship, insidesherpa etc but no formal vac scheme or solicitor shadowing for example. However, I think if you have non-legal work experience and really explain the transferable skills that will benefit you on your TC then I think you will be fine! (Just my opinion)
Thanks so much :)

Holly

Legendary Member
Forum Winner
Nov 23, 2019
I fear that because my chances are slim and i do apply and get rejected, I’d have reapplied too soon without much changing in my app and “missed my chance” with that firm :/

1. If you reapplied and the application questions stay the same in autumn, then you already have some kind of draft to work with.

2. Autumn is also a pretty busy time of year where you could attend virtual law fairs or open days with the firm in question, which could strengthen your knowledge of the firm and therefore strengthen your summer app answers.

3. You could also take a look at your summer app with “fresh eyes” and find there are ways you could improve the app including grammar. You could also send the app to friends who can offer you feedback on how to improve the app.

This is all assuming you get rejected post-app which hopefully you don’t. If you did, you could look at the rejection as a form of feedback that the app wasn’t strong enough *in the firm’s eyes*. This gives you a chance to improve it for autumn. I believe this is better than submitting the app in autumn for the first time just to be rejected anyways!

Finally, if the firm recruits on a rolling basis and the application questions are the same, then you would have a better chance of submitting a stronger application early (if you worked on improvements during the summer), than if you were to submit an application for the first time in autumn.

I really hope this helps. I know it’s easier said than done, but try not to be afraid of rejection. Rejections really are a redirection! Best of luck :)

nisadee

Valued Member
Oct 9, 2019
1. If you reapplied and the application questions stay the same in autumn, then you already have some kind of draft to work with.

2. Autumn is also a pretty busy time of year where you could attend virtual law fairs or open days with the firm in question, which could strengthen your knowledge of the firm and therefore strengthen your summer app answers.

3. You could also take a look at your summer app with “fresh eyes” and find there are ways you could improve the app including grammar. You could also send the app to friends who can offer you feedback on how to improve the app.

This is all assuming you get rejected post-app which hopefully you don’t. If you did, you could look at the rejection as a form of feedback that the app wasn’t strong enough *in the firm’s eyes*. This gives you a chance to improve it for autumn. I believe this is better than submitting the app in autumn for the first time just to be rejected anyways!

Finally, if the firm recruits on a rolling basis and the application questions are the same, then you would have a better chance of submitting a stronger application early (if you worked on improvements during the summer), than if you were to submit an application for the first time in autumn.

I really hope this helps. I know it’s easier said than done, but try not to be afraid of rejection. Rejections really are a redirection! Best of luck :)
Thank you so much!!

• 🤝
Reactions: Holly
A

Anon 11031

Hey guys!

I'm feeling a little deflated and wondering if anyone had any advice or tips. I'm currently I'm my last semester of uni (full time), working full time (42 hours a week but I'm salaried so some days more) and also trying to get the motivation to complete TC applications. I can't really do VS apps because of work commitments and I just don't have the time.

Does anyone have any tips on motivation? Or how many firms to apply for in these circumstances? I just feel like I'm not doing enough - you know? I've picked maybe 6-8 firms to apply for but I'm worried that not being able to complete like 20 applications is seriously hurting my chances.

Sorry if this is a bit of a ramble, I just feel lost and drained!

Asil Ahmad

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Forum Winner
  • Mar 29, 2020
    What do you lot think about doing direct training contract application to Gibson Dunn and Crutcher. I know @Daniel Boden said that they don't recruit much from direct applications. I saw their application open.

Abbie4329

Distinguished Member
    Jul 21, 2020
    What do you lot think about doing direct training contract application to Gibson Dunn and Crutcher. I know @Daniel Boden said that they don't recruit much from direct applications. I saw their application open.
    Personally, I wouldn’t bother applying to any elite US firm with a small intake for a direct TC. Most of them will take all their applicants from the vac scheme. You could try and email grad rec at the firms you’re interested in and ask them, realistically, what are the chances they’ll offer a TC to anyone via the direct TC route.

Reactions: Dheepa

RoughWood

Legendary Member
    Trainee
    Feb 24, 2021
    Hey guys!

I'm feeling a little deflated and wondering if anyone had any advice or tips. I'm currently I'm my last semester of uni (full time), working full time (42 hours a week but I'm salaried so some days more) and also trying to get the motivation to complete TC applications. I can't really do VS apps because of work commitments and I just don't have the time.

Does anyone have any tips on motivation? Or how many firms to apply for in these circumstances? I just feel like I'm not doing enough - you know? I've picked maybe 6-8 firms to apply for but I'm worried that not being able to complete like 20 applications is seriously hurting my chances.

Sorry if this is a bit of a ramble, I just feel lost and drained!
    I completely feel you, Im studying the GDL and working full time (salaried) as well so I completely understand how draining it is when you add TC apps to the list to. I would just focus on the firms that you would regret not applying to and if you can do anymore then great but it's not the be all and end all if you cant.

Ive got an excel spreadsheet listing the firms I am interested in and the closing dates so I can make sure that my top picks are submitted in time. I look at the rest by their closing date so try to just do little and often on applications (I tend to spend my lunch break on them as straight to study when I finish work).

I have seen a fair few people be successful when they only submit a few applications per cycle, quality of application, not quantity! (and make time for yourself, easier said than done I know but it makes a real difference just having an hour or two with no pressures)

Good luck!

Asil Ahmad

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Forum Winner
  • Mar 29, 2020
    Personally, I wouldn’t bother applying to any elite US firm with a small intake for a direct TC. Most of them will take all their applicants from the vac scheme. You could try and email grad rec at the firms you’re interested in and ask them, realistically, what are the chances they’ll offer a TC to anyone via the direct TC route.
    True they have a small intake yes only 6 for Gibson. Yes I know I should see if they recruited from VS all or not but on their website they said they recruit on a rolling basis. Thank you for this appreciate it.

• 🤝
    Reactions: Holly
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.