2020-21 Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

TiredPG

Star Member
Forum Winner
Jan 6, 2021
Haven't been on here in a while as I've been focusing on exams but I think transparency posts really add to understanding of the process and of how difficult it really is (especially when it comes to acknowledging success in respect of non-success). I'd set out at the beginning of this year hoping to get a vac scheme and at best a job (legal or otherwise) for the future. I got a vac scheme and have just got a paralegal job in an area I love, both with a firm I really want to work with and a city in which I want to stay, so hopefully a TC is within grasp soon. I honestly couldn't have hoped for anything better and it feels surreal to be ending the academic year like this.

Total applications: 17
Video interviews: 6
Assessment centres: 2
Vac scheme offers: 1
Direct TC interview: 1

I'll probably be signing out of here for the future, but I wish everyone the best of luck!

Last edited:

H212

Jan 23, 2021
PFO from Dechert Post-AC. Wasn't too hopeful considering I had the AC a while ago. Still have a couple more applications that may pay off, but otherwise will have been a brutal application cycle.
Hiya, I have an AC with them coming g up. If you don’t mind me asking do you have any tips for what the AC is like ?

Dheepa

Legendary Member
Staff member
Future Trainee
TCLA Moderator
Premium Member
Forum Team
M&A Bootcamp
Junior Lawyer 43
  • Jan 20, 2019
    Hello everyone, I was just wondering if anyone has done the Baker McKenzie Video Interview and has any tips or can share what type of questions were asked?

Here you go!

Hi!

So I think Bakers has a bank of questions that they use. I remember that when I did the VI for the spring vac they were very different questions from the one my friend got when she did hers about a week later. That being said, you can expect to get three competency questions (mine were mostly surrounding teamwork and time management), one commercial question and one "random" question - there was one question along the lines of "tell us something that would help us understand you better."

Hope that helps!

Reactions: Fkj

JayC

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Junior Lawyer
    Jan 8, 2021
    Is there any form of assessment before the video interview?
    Application form then video interview!
    We can carry on this conversation in another thread if it does cut off! The forum is not going to end when this specific thread closes 😂
    And I will be lost once this thread closes, it has taken over my life for the last few months, a new thread just won't be the same 🤣

Edit: honestly I've been more excited to read this thread each day than to actually hear back from firms!

Reactions: Jaysen

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Application form then video interview!

And I will be lost once this thread closes, it has taken over my life for the last few months, a new thread just won't be the same 🤣

Edit: honestly I've been more excited to read this thread each day than to actually hear back from firms!
    It could be that they ranked the application forms in some way when they were reviewed and that yours is in a group that will just be considered later.

Reactions: JayC

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019

And more importantly, congratulations!

Happy Birthday Reaction GIF

Last edited by a moderator:
    Reactions: relentlesspursuit

Jacob Miller

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Team
  • Feb 15, 2020
    Brilliant achievement - absolutely delighted for you.

It's an absolute joy to see members like yourself seeing a tangible, statistical improvement in your performance across app cycles and the fact that you can attribute that in part to TCLA is honestly so fulfilling!!

Hope you get to celebrate! :)

Reactions: Jaysen

Dheepa

Legendary Member
    Staff member
    Future Trainee
    TCLA Moderator
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    M&A Bootcamp
    Junior Lawyer 43
  • Jan 20, 2019
    So incredibly happy for you! As Jacob has said, its always so nice to see that people feel like TCLA has made a difference for them. Thank you for sharing the realities of what it took to get to where you are and not just the highlights, I’m sure it will help people who need the extra push. Congrats again!

J123

Star Member
    Future Trainee
    Jul 12, 2019
    can anyone point me to the website where you can search for all the deals a firm has been involved in? I can't remember what it's called (it's not any of the legal news websites) - I think it might start with 'I' and be an abbreviation of something :/

Lohana

Star Member
    Dec 24, 2020
    Not directly application related but was just curious. Wanted to ask if anyone has any insight/knowledge/idea into how much you reckon a partner at an independent top 200 UK law firm makes on average at firms like - Edwin Coe, Teacher Stern, Memery Crystal, Wedlake Bell etc.

Daniel Boden

Legendary Member
    Trainee
    Highest Rated Member
  • Sep 6, 2018
    can anyone point me to the website where you can search for all the deals a firm has been involved in? I can't remember what it's called (it's not any of the legal news websites) - I think it might start with 'I' and be an abbreviation of something :/
    IFLR1000 I believe is the one you're thinking of :)

Matt_96

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
  • Dec 15, 2018
    Not directly application related but was just curious. Wanted to ask if anyone has any insight/knowledge/idea into how much you reckon a partner at an independent top 200 UK law firm makes on average at firms like - Edwin Coe, Teacher Stern, Memery Crystal, Wedlake Bell etc.

Couldn't find anything on Teacher Stern at all, but Legal Cheek puts Wedlake Bell's current PEP at about £372k, and this article (from 2018-19) puts Edwin Coe's at £300k, so it may have increased since then. I couldn't find much out about Memery Crystal, but in this announcement by Rosenblatt, which bought the firm this month, it said that Memery Crystal had made £8m in profit last year, split between 29 partners, which averages out at approx. £275,862 per partner.

However, these are all just averages so there could well be a number of junior partners earning quite a bit below that, and some earning quite a lot more. There could also be different tiers of partnership, too. For instance, at Macfarlanes, junior partners aren't immediately allowed a full equity stake and get paid around £180-200k a year, but that quickly rises to an average of £1.91 million with full equity. So nothing is as it seems!

• ℹ️
    Reactions: Kola, Lohana and hd112211
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.