• Applications for Willkie Farr & Gallagher's vacation schemes close on the 20th December. Apply now!
  • Applications for Shearman & Sterling's vacation schemes are now open! Apply now.
  • Common application pitfalls to avoid over the coming months. Read Now!

2020-21 Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Daniel Boden

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Premium Member
Highest Rated Member
  • Sep 6, 2018
    can anyone point me to the website where you can search for all the deals a firm has been involved in? I can't remember what it's called (it's not any of the legal news websites) - I think it might start with 'I' and be an abbreviation of something :/
    IFLR1000 I believe is the one you're thinking of :)

Matt_96

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
  • Dec 15, 2018
    Not directly application related but was just curious. Wanted to ask if anyone has any insight/knowledge/idea into how much you reckon a partner at an independent top 200 UK law firm makes on average at firms like - Edwin Coe, Teacher Stern, Memery Crystal, Wedlake Bell etc.

Couldn't find anything on Teacher Stern at all, but Legal Cheek puts Wedlake Bell's current PEP at about £372k, and this article (from 2018-19) puts Edwin Coe's at £300k, so it may have increased since then. I couldn't find much out about Memery Crystal, but in this announcement by Rosenblatt, which bought the firm this month, it said that Memery Crystal had made £8m in profit last year, split between 29 partners, which averages out at approx. £275,862 per partner.

However, these are all just averages so there could well be a number of junior partners earning quite a bit below that, and some earning quite a lot more. There could also be different tiers of partnership, too. For instance, at Macfarlanes, junior partners aren't immediately allowed a full equity stake and get paid around £180-200k a year, but that quickly rises to an average of £1.91 million with full equity. So nothing is as it seems!

J123

Star Member
    Future Trainee
    Jul 12, 2019
    • 🤝
    Reactions: Daniel Boden

deckoking123

Distinguished Member
    Nov 27, 2019
    Hope finishing a strength-based interview AC in 15 mins and spending the remaining 45 minutes recommending/discussing podcasts is a good sign - for anyone wondering this was Kennedys TC interview
    *Long story short * it wasnt a good sign as I got rejected. My upcoming 2 Vacation schemes are the only things keeping me sane

Lohana

Star Member
    Premium Member
    Dec 24, 2020
    Couldn't find anything on Teacher Stern at all, but Legal Cheek puts Wedlake Bell's current PEP at about £372k, and this article (from 2018-19) puts Edwin Coe's at £300k, so it may have increased since then. I couldn't find much out about Memery Crystal, but in this announcement by Rosenblatt, which bought the firm this month, it said that Memery Crystal had made £8m in profit last year, split between 29 partners, which averages out at approx. £275,862 per partner.

However, these are all just averages so there could well be a number of junior partners earning quite a bit below that, and some earning quite a lot more. There could also be different tiers of partnership, too. For instance, at Macfarlanes, junior partners aren't immediately allowed a full equity stake and get paid around £180-200k a year, but that quickly rises to an average of £1.91 million with full equity. So nothing is as it seems!
    Cheers for this really helpful!

Willkie Farr & Gallagher - Vacation Scheme!
    Joining Willkie means joining a law firm with a dynamic growth story - the London office has grown by 91% since 2017. And 2020 marked the firm's first year of trainee recruitment in London. That means the chance to work in small, nimble teams on high-quality matters.

Willkie particularly cares about recruiting the best talent, regardless of your background. The firm does not ask for specific A Level (or equivalent) grades, but you should be on track for (or have achieved) a solid 2.1 or above.

Apply by 20 December 2021
    Status
    Not open for further replies.