Star Member
Future Trainee
Jul 12, 2019
  • 🤝
Reactions: Daniel Boden

deckoking123

Esteemed Member
  • Nov 27, 2019
    Hope finishing a strength-based interview AC in 15 mins and spending the remaining 45 minutes recommending/discussing podcasts is a good sign - for anyone wondering this was Kennedys TC interview
    *Long story short * it wasnt a good sign as I got rejected. My upcoming 2 Vacation schemes are the only things keeping me sane

Lohana

Star Member
    Dec 24, 2020
    Couldn't find anything on Teacher Stern at all, but Legal Cheek puts Wedlake Bell's current PEP at about £372k, and this article (from 2018-19) puts Edwin Coe's at £300k, so it may have increased since then. I couldn't find much out about Memery Crystal, but in this announcement by Rosenblatt, which bought the firm this month, it said that Memery Crystal had made £8m in profit last year, split between 29 partners, which averages out at approx. £275,862 per partner.

However, these are all just averages so there could well be a number of junior partners earning quite a bit below that, and some earning quite a lot more. There could also be different tiers of partnership, too. For instance, at Macfarlanes, junior partners aren't immediately allowed a full equity stake and get paid around £180-200k a year, but that quickly rises to an average of £1.91 million with full equity. So nothing is as it seems!
    Cheers for this really helpful!

JayC

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Junior Lawyer
    Jan 8, 2021
    Had a couple nightmares on my VS with a US firm the other week that I just remembered to post on here for the general amusement of TCLA... I actually really liked the firm come the scheme's conclusion, which leads to the first two problems - only 3 out of 16 of us will get the TC and we'll all have to wait until the end of the firm's final vac scheme in June for them to make TC decisions (so much for requesting the spring scheme with the hope of having something by now... but at least they have been clear about the time frame which I appreciate)!

Something that completely threw me was when, towards the end of my TC interview, one of my interviewers asked about my extracurricular interests and said 'It seems that you are too multi-talented to work here. You will find that the work we do is actually really boring and you will leave after a couple years, am I right?' and I had no idea what to say so I mumbled something about how I simply enjoy these hobbies as an outlet from work, to which he said 'But you won't have time to keep any of them up when you are working 16 hours a day' 🤣

...so I'm glad to have some clarity about what my life will look like if I eventually succeed in getting a TC - if only I somehow beat the impossible odds after a painful 2.5 months of waiting!

FM302989

Legendary Member
    Junior Lawyer
  • Oct 16, 2020
    Had a couple nightmares on my VS with a US firm the other week that I just remembered to post on here for the general amusement of TCLA... I actually really liked the firm come the scheme's conclusion, which leads to the first two problems - only 3 out of 16 of us will get the TC and we'll all have to wait until the end of the firm's final vac scheme in June for them to make TC decisions (so much for requesting the spring scheme with the hope of having something by now... but at least they have been clear about the time frame which I appreciate)!

Something that completely threw me was when, towards the end of my TC interview, one of my interviewers asked about my extracurricular interests and said 'It seems that you are too multi-talented to work here. You will find that the work we do is actually really boring and you will leave after a couple years, am I right?' and I had no idea what to say so I mumbled something about how I simply enjoy these hobbies as an outlet from work, to which he said 'But you won't have time to keep any of them up when you are working 16 hours a day' 🤣

...so I'm glad to have some clarity about what my life will look like if I eventually succeed in getting a TC - if only I somehow beat the impossible odds after a painful 2.5 months of waiting!
    Wow what a charming interviewer! Bet they promote a great working culture as well 😅

Jacob Miller

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Team
  • Feb 15, 2020

I mean, I can't help but admire the interviewer's honesty...

Regardless of what happens, you've clearly done exceptionally well to secure the VS and, as long as you feel like you gave it your all, you've done everything you can and just need to play the waiting game now. Fingers are crossed for you!

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.