TCLA General Discussion Thread #2 (2021)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dheepa

Legendary Member
Staff member
Future Trainee
TCLA Moderator
Premium Member
Forum Team
M&A Bootcamp
Junior Lawyer 43
  • Jan 20, 2019
    Hi everyone! I have an interview with an investment bank coming up but it's with their compliance department. Any tips for compliance interviews and does anyone know whether they differ greatly from law ones? Thank you so much!

Hi! So I worked in a financial compliance for three months, and to add to the points Jess has made, you'd need to have really strong communication skills and organisation skills, so I'd prepare examples for that. Essentially you're going to be pushing people in other departments A LOT. A lot of your job will depend on people in different divisions giving you the right paperwork so you can analyse the risks etc. and then following that sitting in meetings and asking questions so you can understand what processes they have in place to deal with those risks and finally pushing them to implement any changes you and your team deem necessary. This is the "internal control" side of things. Since your role is with an investment bank you could also get some questions surrounding external financial regulations (although definitely not going to be in depth) I'd suggest familiarising yourself with the role of the FCA and the PRA generally. Also for my compliance role, there was an assessment involving some math and excel but if yours is just an interview, I wouldn't worry about this.

YFA

Mar 10, 2019
    Feeling so deflated as I've been looking for a paralegal role after my previous contract ended due to covid last summer - with no luck. Also applying to TCs at the same time after not converting a VS. Is anyone else finding it impossible to get paralegal jobs atm? Or if anyone has been successful recently I'd love to speak with you just for advice - please DM me!

Jacob Miller

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Team
  • Feb 15, 2020
    Feeling so deflated as I've been looking for a paralegal role after my previous contract ended due to covid last summer - with no luck. Also applying to TCs at the same time after not converting a VS. Is anyone else finding it impossible to get paralegal jobs atm? Or if anyone has been successful recently I'd love to speak with you just for advice - please DM me!
    You're definitely not alone in this feeling! I think there are several factors at the minute which are making it harder to secure roles. The job market is exceedingly competitive and firms are driving up the prerequisites for entry level positions like paralegals.

I'm afraid I can't offer much in the way of substantive advice - I secured my role internally with my firm, so didn't 'apply' or interview per se, but my fingers are absolutely crossed for you and there are a number of wonderful forum users who have paralegal experience and, I'm sure, will be delighted to share some tips and tricks to help you get your foot in the door :)

• 🤝
    Reactions: Jaysen and YFA

YFA

Mar 10, 2019
    You're definitely not alone in this feeling! I think there are several factors at the minute which are making it harder to secure roles. The job market is exceedingly competitive and firms are driving up the prerequisites for entry level positions like paralegals.

I'm afraid I can't offer much in the way of substantive advice - I secured my role internally with my firm, so didn't 'apply' or interview per se, but my fingers are absolutely crossed for you and there are a number of wonderful forum users who have paralegal experience and, I'm sure, will be delighted to share some tips and tricks to help you get your foot in the door :)
    Thank you so much - fingers crossed as things start to open back up there will be more opportunities!

Law2022

Legendary Member
    May 3, 2020
    I can’t believe I’ve been completely ghosted by Reed Smith.. applied in February and still not received the SST link. I’ve chased them and I meet their academic criteria so I have no clue 😞😞

• Sad
    Reactions: karinny

CJM.UC

Star Member
  • Feb 1, 2020
    Hi! So I worked in a financial compliance for three months, and to add to the points Jess has made, you'd need to have really strong communication skills and organisation skills, so I'd prepare examples for that. Essentially you're going to be pushing people in other departments A LOT. A lot of your job will depend on people in different divisions giving you the right paperwork so you can analyse the risks etc. and then following that sitting in meetings and asking questions so you can understand what processes they have in place to deal with those risks and finally pushing them to implement any changes you and your team deem necessary. This is the "internal control" side of things. Since your role is with an investment bank you could also get some questions surrounding external financial regulations (although definitely not going to be in depth) I'd suggest familiarising yourself with the role of the FCA and the PRA generally. Also for my compliance role, there was an assessment involving some math and excel but if yours is just an interview, I wouldn't worry about this.
    omg thank you so much Dheepa! Yes, I had to do an initial maths assessment so I think I'm clear on that!! Did you have to do a presentation as part of your interview too?

aspiringlawyer23

Apr 29, 2021
    Hi everyone! I have an interview with an investment bank coming up but it's with their compliance department. Any tips for compliance interviews and does anyone know whether they differ greatly from law ones? Thank you so much!
    Firstly, I would spend some time researching compliance's role in an investment bank, I would also look at how compliance has changed following the financial crisis. Also, know the factors driving changes in Compliance - esp the potential role of tech. Be ready to answer hard ethics questions. Feel free to PM me I was a Summer Analyst in Compliance in a investment bank/retail bank :)

• Love
    Reactions: CJM.UC and Dheepa

Dheepa

Legendary Member
    Staff member
    Future Trainee
    TCLA Moderator
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    M&A Bootcamp
    Junior Lawyer 43
  • Jan 20, 2019
    omg thank you so much Dheepa! Yes, I had to do an initial maths assessment so I think I'm clear on that!! Did you have to do a presentation as part of your interview too?

Yes! So the math was one part of the group assessment and then we had to present our findings. Something I forgot to mention in the original post was I think it would help if you familiarised yourself with just the very basics of some transaction processes (i.e. the actual process of funds getting transferred etc.) Considering the wide range of transactions an IB is responsible for definitely impossible to know it all at this stage maybe a basic understanding will help with whatever they want you to give a presentation on?

Side note: I'm glad you're all clear on the math! Seeing all those numbers for the first time since A-level math low key had me dying a little on the inside. 😅

• Haha
    Reactions: CJM.UC

CJM.UC

Star Member
  • Feb 1, 2020
    Yes! So the math was one part of the group assessment and then we had to present our findings. Something I forgot to mention in the original post was I think it would help if you familiarised yourself with just the very basics of some transaction processes (i.e. the actual process of funds getting transferred etc.) Considering the wide range of transactions an IB is responsible for definitely impossible to know it all at this stage maybe a basic understanding will help with whatever they want you to give a presentation on?

Side note: I'm glad you're all clear on the math! Seeing all those numbers for the first time since A-level math low key had me dying a little on the inside. 😅
    Thank you so much!! I have to do a presentation on data privacy which is totally different from what I studied in my llb and llm. However, I'm going to do my best to prep for it!!

And yessssss, the maths has been hard but I've been doing more maths test (e.g. withers) this year than ever before 😅😅

Asil Ahmad

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Forum Winner
  • Mar 29, 2020
    Anyone know how many trainees Orrick takes as Legal Cheek said 6 but I saw 14 somewhere. Can someone confirm this for me please. Thank you in advance.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Anyone know how many trainees Orrick takes as Legal Cheek said 6 but I saw 14 somewhere. Can someone confirm this for me please. Thank you in advance.
    14 is probably the amount of trainees they have at anyone time (eg two yearly intakes). Numbers seem to be 6-8 a year.

• Love
    Reactions: Asil Ahmad

Jacob Miller

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Team
  • Feb 15, 2020

Anyone seen that the Mischon partnership have voted to float? Would be super interested to hear opinions from anyone who's involved with the firm (and just everyone in general lol)!

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.