• Applications for Willkie Farr & Gallagher's vacation schemes close on the 20th December. Apply now!
  • Applications for Shearman & Sterling's vacation schemes are now open! Apply now.
  • Common application pitfalls to avoid over the coming months. Read Now!

TCLA General Discussion Thread #2 (2021)

Status
Not open for further replies.

philjones

Feb 4, 2021
You can renege. Unless you have accepted any financial support (unlikely in 6 days) then there are no issues with you reneging really apart from annoying firm 1.
Thanks! Prob is firm 2 know that I accepted firm 1's offer- will firm 2 look down on me if I renege firm 1's offer? I don't want to join a firm that will think lowly of me...

And fwiw firm 1 gave me under a week to confirm...

Last edited:

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Thanks! Prob is firm 2 know that I accepted firm 1's offer- will firm 2 look down on me if I renege firm 1's offer? I don't want to join a firm that will think lowly of me...
They have offered you a job. Clearly they don’t care about you reneging another firm’s offer. They may just might be concerned you do the same to them, but clearly that’s a risk they are willing to take.

Reneges happen a lot in recruitment (less in law for TCs due to the time lag and financial commitments) - recruiters don’t really care if you renege. It’s better you renege now than train and leave.

Reactions: philjones

philjones

Feb 4, 2021
They have offered you a job. Clearly they don’t care about you reneging another firm’s offer. They may just might be concerned you do the same to them, but clearly that’s a risk they are willing to take.

Reneges happen a lot in recruitment (less in law for TCs due to the time lag and financial commitments) - recruiters don’t really care if you renege. It’s better you renege now than train and leave.
Brill, thanks a lot. I just don't want to do anything unethical. FWIW firm 1 gave me under a week to respond...

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Brill, thanks a lot. I just don't want to do anything unethical. FWIW firm 1 gave me under a week to respond...
It’s not unethical - just part of the process. It isn’t ideal.

It would only be unethical if you received support from the firm and then didn’t pay back that support.

Reactions: philjones

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
Staff member
TCLA Moderator
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    Reactions: Holly
    Status
    Not open for further replies.