2020-21 Direct Training Contract Applications Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

PirateShip

Esteemed Member
Premium Member
Feb 3, 2021
Congrats to all who received an AC from BM!

I myself got to the VI stage. Obviously disappointed I couldn't get an AC, but not surprised as I knew it didn't go too well.

This is my first cycle of applications, and I knew going into it that there would be some setbacks. Definitely some good experience however, and I feel I can go into my next VI with a bit more understanding of what to expect!

LS12

Legendary Member
Junior Lawyer
  • Apr 22, 2020
    BCLP have got two situational questions - I'm just wondering how to approach these.

1. In your first 3 months as a trainee at BCLP, who would you seek to build relationships with, and what strategies would you implement to ensure that these relationships are long lasting? (300 words)

2. Imagine you are a trainee at BCLP and you have been working on a task for an associate in the Finance department. The associate is away and a partner in the department urgently wants a summary note of the research to send to a client, and has asked you to send it to them by tomorrow morning. How would you react? (300 words)

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    BCLP have got two situational questions - I'm just wondering how to approach these.

1. In your first 3 months as a trainee at BCLP, who would you seek to build relationships with, and what strategies would you implement to ensure that these relationships are long lasting? (300 words)

2. Imagine you are a trainee at BCLP and you have been working on a task for an associate in the Finance department. The associate is away and a partner in the department urgently wants a summary note of the research to send to a client, and has asked you to send it to them by tomorrow morning. How would you react? (300 words)
    The key with the first one is taking the question literally. It is only your first three months. Who do you prioritise (you can’t get to know everyone) and where is the value in building a long term relationship with them (ultimately what’s the benefit for you to have a long term relationship with them). Be mindful to also explain how you will build long lasting relationships.

The second question again, look at the detail of the question. The associate is away (lots of people miss that point or just think the associate is contactable when they are “away”). You have got less than a working day to produce the summary note. Think about the step by step processes you need to consider to ensure the work is done to a high standard. Also make sure to talk about your reaction (this is often missing from answers).

Reactions: Law2022
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.