2020-21 Direct Training Contract Applications Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Asil Ahmad

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Forum Winner
  • Mar 29, 2020
    I actually applied to the TC route last year and didn't get through. Used the same exact applciation and applied for the VS after and got through which seemed like they didn't even look at my application the first time. Also I've heard from a few people that Eversheds mostly recruit from their VS. But maybe worth a try applying for TC if you have the application to hand :)
    They recruit 1 person from direct TC and from VS they recruit the majority of people. They said this at their webinar yesterday.

AlRJ

Esteemed Member
    Jun 23, 2019
    yeah! ahah i literally received it half an hour after i commented here. it's fantastic that we've been offered a tailored feedback report, i wonder if i get a confirmation of whether i pass to the next round or if this means i haven't?
    haha oh that's great- I'm glad to hear! We don't get any confirmation unfortunately. If you're successful then uyou are invited to a first round HR interview.

Reactions: BiancaM

Alessandro

Standard Member
    Mar 19, 2021
    Hey guys.

How do you usually answer: "Please set out below any additional information which you feel is relevant to your application."

It usually comes after "tell us why you stand out from the other candidates". What is this part really for? Is it genuinely in case you couldn't find a way of including something in the other questions, or should everyone be saving something good to put in here?

Thanks!

karinny

Distinguished Member
    Junior Lawyer
  • Mar 17, 2021
    Anybody know at what point of the application stage firms start to contact your references/referees? One of my academic referees is requesting a list of firms he should expect a reference request from.

I don't want to give him a list of firms which will end up rejecting me later down the line ><

RoughWood

Legendary Member
    Trainee
    Feb 24, 2021
    I have noticed a few views of my linkedin profile recently from firms that I have a TC application in with. Is this a good thing as I have a read through daily but don't post much on there really

Last edited:

Jacob Miller

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Team
  • Feb 15, 2020
    Hey guys.

How do you usually answer: "Please set out below any additional information which you feel is relevant to your application."

It usually comes after "tell us why you stand out from the other candidates". What is this part really for? Is it genuinely in case you couldn't find a way of including something in the other questions, or should everyone be saving something good to put in here?

Thanks!
    I always treated this section as a catch-all for instances of things which I felt were relevant to my application which I hadn't had the chance to put elsewhere :)

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Anybody know at what point of the application stage firms start to contact your references/referees? One of my academic referees is requesting a list of firms he should expect a reference request from.

I don't want to give him a list of firms which will end up rejecting me later down the line ><
    Some firms will be at interview stage, others will be after you have been made an offer. Sometimes if you have mitigating circumstances impacting your academic results, it might be as part of the application review process.

Reactions: karinny

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    I have noticed a few views of my linkedin profile recently from firms that I have a TC application in with. Is this a good thing as I have a read through daily but don't post much on there really
    You don't have to post. At best they are just looking at your profile.

Jooooopp7

Legendary Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Nov 25, 2019
    on the Pinsent Masons app it states that the work exp should preferably be from the last two years but my strongest examples are probably from outside that time frame, would be frowned upon to use those rather than sticking to the two years?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    on the Pinsent Masons app it states that the work exp should preferably be from the last two years but my strongest examples are probably from outside that time frame, would be frowned upon to use those rather than sticking to the two years?
    As long as it is not much longer than two years (e.g. 3-4 years ago), I think that is fine, but clearly they want to see what you have been up to more recently rather than your past experiences.

Jooooopp7

Legendary Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Nov 25, 2019
    As long as it is not much longer than two years (e.g. 3-4 years ago), I think that is fine, but clearly they want to see what you have been up to more recently rather than your past experiences.
    of course, I'll try stick to the 2 years but have some strong examples from my gap year where I was given much more responsibility so wanted to highlight those really, thank you for your help!

ZaraB

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Dec 13, 2020
    Anyone applying to Pinsent Masons - have you also submitted a CV with your application? I never know what firms are looking for with CVs...

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.