2020-21 Direct Training Contract Applications Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 8227

Does anyone have experience with including an upcoming work experience scheme on an application form? I have a legal in-house internship coming up but I don't know how to include it on a direct TC form. Should I just put it in the work experience section and say it's upcoming?

Kablahc

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Forum Winner
  • Aug 31, 2020
    Does anyone have experience with including an upcoming work experience scheme on an application form? I have a legal in-house internship coming up but I don't know how to include it on a direct TC form. Should I just put it in the work experience section and say it's upcoming?
    That's what I've done in the past, or if they've got an extra box for additional work experience/open days/misc work experience you could put it there as well

Reactions: Deleted member 8227

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Definitely include it somewhere. Many people put it in extra information sections. If you do include it in a work experience section, you just can’t really go into much detail about it, although some people explain why they chose to go for that opportunity and try to link it to why the firm they are applying to (although you’d have to do this super briefly).

Reactions: Deleted member 8227
    D

Deleted member 8227

That's what I've done in the past, or if they've got an extra box for additional work experience/open days/misc work experience you could put it there as well
    Definitely include it somewhere. Many people put it in extra information sections. If you do include it in a work experience section, you just can’t really go into much detail about it, although some people explain why they chose to go for that opportunity and try to link it to why the firm they are applying to (although you’d have to do this super briefly).
    Perfect, thank you both!

MLF

Valued Member
  • Mar 15, 2021
    Hi all,

I've been trying to write an answers to this question: What steps have you taken to enhance your employability in preparation for a career as a solicitor at Blake Morgan? What obstacles have you had to overcome? I approached the question as explaining what in my background enhanced my employability (double degree, work experience as early as possible, moving to where the firms I'm interested in are) while linking it to the firm in question, and then because it's in chronological order I explain the challenges I faced while I was doing the above (illness in family, job search, working and studying etc).

Do you think it's a good way to approach this question or should the focus be different?

Many thanks

Glayson Tavares-Costa

M&A Bootcamp
    Jan 8, 2021
    Has anyone had any experiences with applying to Eversheds using the direct training contract route? Do they look at direct TC apps only if they have not filled their spots through their vac schemes? I am just considering whether my time is invested sensibly should I complete their direct TC app! Thank you all :)

RoughWood

Legendary Member
    Trainee
    Feb 24, 2021
    Hi all,

I've been trying to write an answers to this question: What steps have you taken to enhance your employability in preparation for a career as a solicitor at Blake Morgan? What obstacles have you had to overcome? I approached the question as explaining what in my background enhanced my employability (double degree, work experience as early as possible, moving to where the firms I'm interested in are) while linking it to the firm in question, and then because it's in chronological order I explain the challenges I faced while I was doing the above (illness in family, job search, working and studying etc).

Do you think it's a good way to approach this question or should the focus be different?

Many thanks
    I struggled with this question for Blake Morgan. I ended up talking about the skills and knowledge I am gaining on my GDL, the support and input I have received from ULaw careers service and the new duties I had taken on in my current career and how they are relevant to a career as a solicitor and any obstacles faced for each (i.e why did I contact ULaw employability service to begin with?)

Don't know if that is what they are looking for but is all I could think of!

Reactions: MLF

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi all,

Many thanks
    Sounds like a logical approach to me!

Reactions: MLF

Alessandro

Standard Member
    Mar 19, 2021
    Hey, I hope everyone is well!

Quick question, I've seen on a couple of the applications that firms are asking for 1 professional and 1 academic reference, I graduated 8 years ago and think it's quite unlikely that my lecturers/ course tutors will remember who I am (I can of course give it a go however!). Has anyone else dealt with this before? Are they looking for someone to validate the results on my transcript, or someone to give a character reference? If I'm unable to get in touch with a tutor/lecturer, could I use a second professional reference?

Thanks in advance!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hey, I hope everyone is well!

Quick question, I've seen on a couple of the applications that firms are asking for 1 professional and 1 academic reference, I graduated 8 years ago and think it's quite unlikely that my lecturers/ course tutors will remember who I am (I can of course give it a go however!). Has anyone else dealt with this before? Are they looking for someone to validate the results on my transcript, or someone to give a character reference? If I'm unable to get in touch with a tutor/lecturer, could I use a second professional reference?

Thanks in advance!
    It is mainly just to verify your academics. Your faculty office contact will be sufficient. It doesn’t have to be a named academic.

Reactions: Alessandro
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.