2020-21 Direct Training Contract Applications Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jooooopp7

Legendary Member
Junior Lawyer
Nov 25, 2019
Theres a questions on the simkins app that states: 'Being a solicitor at Simkins requires you to be resilient, commercially aware and get on with clients and colleagues alike. Give an example of where you have demonstrated these skills previously, and how you might apply the same at Simkins.'
would you know whether they are looking for one example that covers all these or different examples for each one? I am currently struggling to think of one that covers all three skills - I feel like a lot of my examples/past work experience cover at least two but then not the third especially since having commercial awareness limits the examples to those from a commercial setting - unless I am interpreting this wrong! Thanks for your help!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Theres a questions on the simkins app that states: 'Being a solicitor at Simkins requires you to be resilient, commercially aware and get on with clients and colleagues alike. Give an example of where you have demonstrated these skills previously, and how you might apply the same at Simkins.'
would you know whether they are looking for one example that covers all these or different examples for each one? I am currently struggling to think of one that covers all three skills - I feel like a lot of my examples/past work experience cover at least two but then not the third especially since having commercial awareness limits the examples to those from a commercial setting - unless I am interpreting this wrong! Thanks for your help!
It doesn’t have to be a commercial setting. For instance, and example could be you running a society event - you may have to be commercially aware then to work out how to price tickets, how to ensure the suppliers provide value for money, understanding what will be popular with your membership etc.

Commercial awareness can be anything where you have looked at something and thought there is an opportunity to make something better to either make more money or provide a better service/product to your customer base.

I suspect though that many examples will really demonstrate one or two of the qualities clearly and may be less strong on one of the others. I’d still try to weave all the qualities they are looking for in, but I wouldn’t worry if one isn’t as obvious/clear.

Lumree

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Highest Rated Member
Junior Lawyer
  • Jan 17, 2019
    Omggg congratulations. If you don’t mind me asking, when did you complete the online tests, and what strengths did you get?
    Thank you!

I completed them on Sunday. My strengths were relationships, resilience and adaptability. However, I would take that with a pinch of salt as ultimately we have no idea how they balance these strengths, especially when they’re considered alongside the app!

Reactions: Anon 11031
    A

Anon 11031

Thank you!

I completed them on Sunday. My strengths were relationships, resilience and adaptability. However, I would take that with a pinch of salt as ultimately we have no idea how they balance these strengths, especially when they’re considered alongside the app!
    What was your weakness? Mine were pretty similar to yours but I completed the test on Saturday so I'm hoping I'll hear back soon!

Jooooopp7

Legendary Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Nov 25, 2019
    It doesn’t have to be a commercial setting. For instance, and example could be you running a society event - you may have to be commercially aware then to work out how to price tickets, how to ensure the suppliers provide value for money, understanding what will be popular with your membership etc.

Commercial awareness can be anything where you have looked at something and thought there is an opportunity to make something better to either make more money or provide a better service/product to your customer base.

I suspect though that many examples will really demonstrate one or two of the qualities clearly and may be less strong on one of the others. I’d still try to weave all the qualities they are looking for in, but I wouldn’t worry if one isn’t as obvious/clear.
    thank you so much for your help, thats cleared things up!

Reactions: Jessica Booker
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.