TCLA General Discussion Thread #2 (2021)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dheepa

Legendary Member
Staff member
Future Trainee
TCLA Moderator
Premium Member
Forum Team
M&A Bootcamp
Junior Lawyer 43
  • Jan 20, 2019
    Read the title of this week’s newsletter and was like o_O

Then read the content and realised what it was about and was 🥳

Absolutely no chance of me waking up at 5.00am each day 😝

monsters inc boo GIF
    One of my long time personal goals was to be one of those insanely motivated people who wake up at 6am and go on a run/go to the gym. I've now accepted that it's just never going to happen. 🤷‍♀️

EVjuji

Valued Member
    Nov 29, 2019
    Looking for a bit of advice. Two weeks ago I was taken to hospital by ambulance with an irregular ECG - turns out I have a virus (not Covid) and I'm still off work and not well. On the Friday (two days after my hospital admission), I had a training contract final partner interview - I attended the interview, in person in London. I obviously felt horrendous and definitely performed badly - I got into bed as soon as I got home and didn't leave my bed except to go to the bathroom until Sunday when another ambulance was called. In the interview, even questions that I had completely and totally prepped answers to, I completely forgot and just rambled something completely insane. I'm really concerned that I've cost myself the TC (after two years in the application process for this firm - who I ADORE). Part of me thinks I should email Grad Rec and tell them about the situation, part of me thinks that's a terrible idea and that it'll reflect badly on me to bring it up. Equally, I don't know what the purpose of informing them would be - could I request another interview? Do I just want them to bear it in mind? Or is this a lost cause?
    Any advice would be really greatly appreciated.
    I think @Jacob Miller had a similar experience and might be able to help.

Get well soon

200.gif

Jacob Miller

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Team
  • Feb 15, 2020
    Looking for a bit of advice. Two weeks ago I was taken to hospital by ambulance with an irregular ECG - turns out I have a virus (not Covid) and I'm still off work and not well. On the Friday (two days after my hospital admission), I had a training contract final partner interview - I attended the interview, in person in London. I obviously felt horrendous and definitely performed badly - I got into bed as soon as I got home and didn't leave my bed except to go to the bathroom until Sunday when another ambulance was called. In the interview, even questions that I had completely and totally prepped answers to, I completely forgot and just rambled something completely insane. I'm really concerned that I've cost myself the TC (after two years in the application process for this firm - who I ADORE). Part of me thinks I should email Grad Rec and tell them about the situation, part of me thinks that's a terrible idea and that it'll reflect badly on me to bring it up. Equally, I don't know what the purpose of informing them would be - could I request another interview? Do I just want them to bear it in mind? Or is this a lost cause?
    Hey,

First off - this sounds like a horrible experience. Having been in an almost-identical situation myself in the past (went to an interview with septicaemia) I can empathise.

I personally didn't email GradRec when this happened to me and I deeply regretted it for a long time. I would email them, explain the situation and ask if there is anything they, or you, can do. Ultimately it's impossible for me to know whether they'll be able or willing to help, but my fingers are crossed for you.

Hope this helps.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    I’d email them just to inform them. Let them decide if they want to offer you another interview. They will be best placed to work out if this is appropriate or not.

They might not be able to do anything - it is quite difficult to assess someone when you don't know how much is them and how much is the circumstances.

But I don't think there is any harm in at least flagging to them. You haven’t got anything to lose.

In addition, if the virus can be transmitted easily to others, you should probably be telling them anyway in case there is any chance you could have passed it on.

Last edited:
    Reactions: Dheepa and Alice G

kr253

Esteemed Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Jan 20, 2021
    So sorry to hear you've been so unwell! I would definitely email Grad Rec and let them know about the situation - personally, I'd just say you wanted to let them know about mitigating circumstances and explain the severity of your illness - hopefully they can offer a solution or at the very least bear it in mind! I understand your reluctance to let them know, but I guess you have nothing to lose!
    Hope you feel better!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    One of my long time personal goals was to be one of those insanely motivated people who wake up at 6am and go on a run/go to the gym. I've now accepted that it's just never going to happen. 🤷‍♀️
    I had that for a while. It made me miserable.

I'd prefer to work until 2.00am than wake up at 5.00am....

I do it when I need to, but any choice and I am staying in my bed until the latest possible moment 😂

Reactions: Dheepa

josemourinho

Star Member
    Feb 19, 2021
    Random q: if a firm contacts you about a reference after you interviewed with them, does that mean they are seriously making you an offer? I dont wanna overthink it but I thought i completely tanked in the interview so for them to come back and ask for a reference seems like a good sign? Or do they check the references of everyone they interview even though they have no intention of making an offer?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Random q: if a firm contacts you about a reference after you interviewed with them, does that mean they are seriously making you an offer? I dont wanna overthink it but I thought i completely tanked in the interview so for them to come back and ask for a reference seems like a good sign? Or do they check the references of everyone they interview even though they have no intention of making an offer?
    Unfortunately not.

It could just mean they need that information before making a decision. It could just be down to consistency of process rather than anything else.

If they wanted to make you an offer they could do this and make the offer contingent on them receiving appropriate references.

It’s impossible to know what there thinking is. I would just reach out to your referee, explain the situation and ask them politely whether they could provide the recent reference ASAP.

Etudierlaw2022

Esteemed Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Jan 10, 2021
    Is it bad that during an interview I said I've attended at least a dozen events hosted by law firms and legal careers sites virtually in the last year to work on professional development and commercial awareness? I am worried they might think I'm not dedicated to their firm, but I said I just wanted to gain perspectives from as many people as possible

whisperingrock

Legendary Member
    Forum Winner
  • Sep 12, 2020
    Is it bad that during an interview I said I've attended at least a dozen events hosted by law firms and legal careers sites virtually in the last year to work on professional development and commercial awareness? I am worried they might think I'm not dedicated to their firm, but I said I just wanted to gain perspectives from as many people as possible
    No, this is the opposite of bad. Firms know you're applying to other firms and you have good motivations for why you attended so many at some many different types of firms.

Reactions: Etudierlaw2022

Jacob Miller

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Team
  • Feb 15, 2020
    No, this isn't a sign of a lack of dedication/ commitment in any way; as @whisperingrock says, it's the opposite.

Firms (recruiters, more specifically) don't live in a bubble where they think you're only applying to them! That wouldn't be reasonable. They know you're likely to spread your wings far and wide at the application stage and that is no bad thing. Attending events with multiple firms is a great way of exemplifying your commitment to learning and development.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Not a problem at all. All positive evidence - nothing negative there.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.