TCLA General Discussion Thread #2 (2021)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
I asked a partner a question and didn't say thank you after he answered accidentally, because he immediately launched into asking if there were any other questions, was this extremely impolite? It wasn't intentional, I hope I didn't ruin my chances of getting a TC! I did thank him when he left the chat
A “don’t sweat the small stuff” answer here.

You actually said thank you.

The partner won’t have cared when you said it, because you did thank them.

Jacob Miller

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Forum Team
  • Feb 15, 2020
    Yes, but I wrote another email requesting additional time so I am waiting for their response.
    Okay - in that case you shouldn't face much difficulty in getting the necessary reasonable adjustments which ought to help.

Circling back to your initial question in re technical questions etc, I would encourage you to start by considering what the BoE legal team are going to be primarily concerned with. There's going to be a lot of banking and finance regulatory stuff, they'll need knowledge of the global financial markets, compliance with things like Basel III regs etc. Based on that, relative to the specific role you're applying for, you'll want to zone in on some of the more core concerns to that role and base your studies around there. For brushing up on finance and markets terminology, Investopedia is a great resource that I use almost weekly!

Best of luck!

Lauren

Legendary Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Nov 16, 2018
    Bit of a random question but I haven't heard anything at all about my WBD application and when I try to log in it says my email address doesn't exist, is it worth emailing the firm to see what has happened? I appreciate it's probably a rejection at this point but I would feel better to have some response

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Bit of a random question but I haven't heard anything at all about my WBD application and when I try to log in it says my email address doesn't exist, is it worth emailing the firm to see what has happened? I appreciate it's probably a rejection at this point but I would feel better to have some response
    Unless you applied more than 12 months ago, it’s unlikely that a rejection would wipe your details off the system.

Did you get any confirmation emails when you applied?

S87

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Sep 4, 2018
    Okay - in that case you shouldn't face much difficulty in getting the necessary reasonable adjustments which ought to help.

Circling back to your initial question in re technical questions etc, I would encourage you to start by considering what the BoE legal team are going to be primarily concerned with. There's going to be a lot of banking and finance regulatory stuff, they'll need knowledge of the global financial markets, compliance with things like Basel III regs etc. Based on that, relative to the specific role you're applying for, you'll want to zone in on some of the more core concerns to that role and base your studies around there. For brushing up on finance and markets terminology, Investopedia is a great resource that I use almost weekly!

Best of luck!
    Thank you so much

Jony

Legendary Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Oct 19, 2020
    Hi everyone applying for Ashurst Direct TCs!

I'm just finishing up the vac scheme with @dosblancos7 and a few others. We've had a TON of talks and personal thoughts from trainees, associates and partners.

If you've got an upcoming interview for the Direct TC and aren't too sure about the nature of the firm, I'd be happy to share a little about what I've learnt with you if you have any specific questions (it would defo be much better to talk to the firm directly but I'm happy to help with what I've learnt!).

All the best :)

Etudierlaw2022

Esteemed Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Jan 10, 2021
    Had a presentation with a partner and volunteered to answer a question, for some reason my brain froze at the end and I ended up not being able to get the words out right. Like I legit tried to say something three times and failed. How significant is this blunder?? I'm really embarrassed haha

Last edited:

Jacob Miller

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Team
  • Feb 15, 2020
    Had a presentation with a partner and volunteered to answer a question, for some reason my brain froze at the end and I ended up not being able to get the words out right. Like I legit tried to say something three times and failed. How significant is this blunder?? I'm really embarrassed haha
    Don't worry too much, these things happen and the vast majority of people will be understanding.

In the future, I would recommend just taking a second to have a deep breath or a wee sip of water before speaking. This will help you compose yourself and prevent similar issues in the future.

Reactions: Etudierlaw2022

Hele25

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Jan 5, 2021
    So, question. I applied for a TC with my absolute dream firm (insert imposter syndrome here) and I genuinely believed I would just immediately be rejected. However, they emailed asking for some additional info/clarification yesterday. I emailed back, and then I got another email today asking for my final grades for this year when I get them. Am I crazy or does this indicate some sort of interest?? I mean I'm not counting my chickens yet, but do firms ask for final grades/ more info if they’re not interested? 😵‍💫

Law2022

Legendary Member
    May 3, 2020
    So, question. I applied for a TC with my absolute dream firm (insert imposter syndrome here) and I genuinely believed I would just immediately be rejected. However, they emailed asking for some additional info/clarification yesterday. I emailed back, and then I got another email today asking for my final grades for this year when I get them. Am I crazy or does this indicate some sort of interest?? I mean I'm not counting my chickens yet, but do firms ask for final grades/ more info if they’re not interested? 😵‍💫
    If the firm is Slaughter and May then I think this is quite common practice as it happened to me and a few of my friends. Good luck with it all anyway :)

• 🤝
    Reactions: Hele25

Hele25

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Jan 5, 2021
    If the firm is Slaughter and May then I think this is quite common practice as it happened to me and a few of my friends. Good luck with it all anyway :)
    Ooo super interesting, there’s so little indication about what grad rec expects, that any little bit of info I feel like I read so much into it! It’s not S+M, although I’ve applied there too lol, but thank you :) you too!

Last edited:
    Reactions: Law2022

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    It means they need to weigh up the information they haven’t got.

Dwight

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Dec 21, 2019
    Hey everyone,

Can someone please direct me to a resource (podcast episode, article, blog - whatever really) that provides a useful overview of the energy sector/industry for 2020 or 2021 with the challenges and issues (and possibly the impact on law firms).

Thanks

Dheepa

Legendary Member
    Staff member
    Future Trainee
    TCLA Moderator
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    M&A Bootcamp
    Junior Lawyer 43
  • Jan 20, 2019
    Hey everyone,

Can someone please direct me to a resource (podcast episode, article, blog - whatever really) that provides a useful overview of the energy sector/industry for 2020 or 2021 with the challenges and issues (and possibly the impact on law firms).

Thanks

The Motley Fool Industry Focus podcast does an energy industry update each week but it is pretty focused on 1. The US energy industry and 2. Stock market trends. I think it does have some useful information though. Other than that your best bet is following the Energy section on FT.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.