TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

sm2020

Distinguished Member
Junior Lawyer
Feb 2, 2021
Does anyone know how to approach this question for the Mishcon VS? Does this just mean why do I want to work for Mishcon?

What interests you about working in this role/team? 200 words

Rob93

Legendary Member
Dec 29, 2020
Does anyone know how to approach this question for the Mishcon VS? Does this just mean why do I want to work for Mishcon?

What interests you about working in this role/team? 200 words
The main thrust would be why you want to work for Mishcon, but I would try to build in some demonstration of understanding what the work at trainee level entails.

Reactions: ELaw2021

Rachel123

Premium Member
Aug 19, 2019
Hi everyone,

Does anyone know what the application questions for Allen & Overy's Winter Vac Scheme are this year? I want to start prepping for it but can't seem to skip ahead to that section on the application form without filling out the rest.

Also, the first section seems to ask for a CV and cover letter upload. Is that in addition to the application questions this year?

Many thanks in advance!

Rob93

Legendary Member
Dec 29, 2020
Hi everyone,

Does anyone know what the application questions for Allen & Overy's Winter Vac Scheme are this year? I want to start prepping for it but can't seem to skip ahead to that section on the application form without filling out the rest.

Also, the first section seems to ask for a CV and cover letter upload. Is that in addition to the application questions this year?

Many thanks in advance!
No CV or cover letter (I asked grad rec directly). The Qs are 250 words each. One asks you to describe the key skills/learnings you have taken away from work experience, positions of responsibility, personal experience and extracurricular. The second asks how you would apply those skills to succeed in the role of a trainee at A&O.

Rachel123

Premium Member
Aug 19, 2019
No CV or cover letter (I asked grad rec directly). The Qs are 250 words each. One asks you to describe the key skills/learnings you have taken away from work experience, positions of responsibility, personal experience and extracurricular. The second asks how you would apply those skills to succeed in the role of a trainee at A&O.
Thank you so much! That's very helpful. Re the CV and cover letter, did Grad Rec say to skip the first section then and just not upload anything there? Thanks again!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Thank you so much! That's very helpful. Re the CV and cover letter, did Grad Rec say to skip the first section then and just not upload anything there? Thanks again!
Yes - just skip it unless you feel there is a reason why you’d should include documents to your application (eg mitigating circumstances documents).

Reactions: S30

plsfixthx

Junior Lawyer
Nov 19, 2020
currently working on the A&O winter vac scheme application and it will only let me add a max. of 20 modules for my uni grades. in total I took 23 modules across the three years, so i'm not sure where to mention the last three or if they're worth mentioning (they're modules from first year, so they didn't count towards my final result). I don't want to leave out grades i've received, but there seems to be no other relevant section in the application form where I can slot them in.

Rob93

Legendary Member
Dec 29, 2020
currently working on the A&O winter vac scheme application and it will only let me add a max. of 20 modules for my uni grades. in total I took 23 modules across the three years, so i'm not sure where to mention the last three or if they're worth mentioning (they're modules from first year, so they didn't count towards my final result). I don't want to leave out grades i've received, but there seems to be no other relevant section in the application form where I can slot them in.
I have a Canadian degree with ~30 modules and grad rec advised me to upload full transcripts (presumably with any necessary explanatory note) in the additional documents section.

Reactions: Jessica Booker

plsfixthx

Junior Lawyer
Nov 19, 2020
I have a Canadian degree with ~30 modules and grad rec advised me to upload full transcripts (presumably with any necessary explanatory note) in the additional documents section.
thanks so much, that's very helpful.

I don't know if i'm being blind, but where in the application do I upload the transcript? I can't locate a section where it will allow me to upload a document apart from 'Profile document upload' (which I assume isn't the right place).

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Anyone know if vacation schemes are likely to be fully virtual this year? I'm not seeing much indication on firms' websites of whether this is the case.
This is a “no one really knows” answer. Firms want to run schemes of all types in person, but all the time infection rates are high, particularly in the main age group of vac schemers, firms are not going to risk it and could run virtual events instead.

Reactions: anxiouslawyer

Asil Ahmad

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Forum Winner
  • Mar 29, 2020
    Is there a forum for the commercial awareness stories would really want to discuss the acquisition of Morrison acquisition with
    Clayton.

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
    Staff member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    Is there a forum for the commercial awareness stories would really want to discuss the acquisition of Morrison acquisition with
    Clayton.
    Hey Asil, we’ll be adding this to our commercial awareness article section tomorrow, so you are more than welcome to discuss it there when we do: https://www.thecorporatelawacademy.com/forum/ams/categories/commercial-awareness.1/. It’ll be uploaded as an article on ‘The Legal Profession This Week’.

Alternatively, if it’s easier, feel free to create a thread here: https://www.thecorporatelawacademy.com/forum/forums/commercial-awareness-discussion.57/ I’m sure others will pitch in!

Reactions: Asil Ahmad
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.