TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Asil Ahmad

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Forum Winner
  • Mar 29, 2020
    Hey Asil, we’ll be adding this to our commercial awareness article section tomorrow, so you are more than welcome to discuss it there when we do: https://www.thecorporatelawacademy.com/forum/ams/categories/commercial-awareness.1/. It’ll be uploaded as an article on ‘The Legal Profession This Week’.
    Thank you for this https://www.thecorporatelawacademy.com/forum/forums/commercial-awareness-discussion.57/ I’m sure others will pitch in!
    Thank you for this and hope you are well Jaysen and yes will wait for the thread to be made in the forum by the TCLA team.

Reactions: Jaysen

Rob93

Legendary Member
    Dec 29, 2020
    thanks so much, that's very helpful.

I don't know if i'm being blind, but where in the application do I upload the transcript? I can't locate a section where it will allow me to upload a document apart from 'Profile document upload' (which I assume isn't the right place).
    It should be a few 'pages' into the application, I can't recall where exactly but I recall coming across it when plugging in placeholders to get to the question section.

AK105

Esteemed Member
  • Mar 7, 2021
    Hello Everyone,
    I need help in drafting my CV for DLA Piper's summer internship (vac scheme). I have heaps of legal work experience, but I have heard that DLA Piper does not like those with a lot of legal experience. They prefer more, "interesting people". I have held only one part time job at university as a tutor, which paid me very well (£40 per hour), and I was self employed. Hence, felt no obligation to do retail. Furthermore, I am finding it difficult to cut it down to two pages.

Therefore, does anyone on here have advice on how to spice up CVs and keep them concise.

@Jessica Booker your advice on these things tend to be amazing.

Thanks,
    Rij

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hello Everyone,
    I need help in drafting my CV for DLA Piper's summer internship (vac scheme). I have heaps of legal work experience, but I have heard that DLA Piper does not like those with a lot of legal experience. They prefer more, "interesting people". I have held only one part time job at university as a tutor, which paid me very well (£40 per hour), and I was self employed. Hence, felt no obligation to do retail. Furthermore, I am finding it difficult to cut it down to two pages.

Therefore, does anyone on here have advice on how to spice up CVs and keep them concise.

Thanks,
    Rij
    Interesting people won’t just be about your work experience. It will come put of the other things you do.

I also don’t think you have to “spice” up a CV. If anything that can be a bit of a detriment if you then get to an interview stage. Just present evidence that either shows transferable skills or demonstrates your achievements - for instance being able to charge £40 per hour is something you should highlight.

Reactions: Jaysen

YJ

Valued Member
    Premium Member
    Jan 16, 2021
    Hello Everyone,

Thanks,
    Rij
    Have applications for DLA's vac scheme opened already?

AK105

Esteemed Member
  • Mar 7, 2021
    Interesting people won’t just be about your work experience. It will come put of the other things you do.

I also don’t think you have to “spice” up a CV. If anything that can be a bit of a detriment if you then get to an interview stage. Just present evidence that either shows transferable skills or demonstrates your achievements - for instance being able to charge £40 per hour is something you should highlight.

Thank you so much @Jessica Booker !

GXA123

Legendary Member
  • Nov 30, 2020
    Does anyone know if HSF keep the same questions because I have seen these posted on their website and I want to start preparing for it.

these are the questions if anyone wants to have a look:
    • Three written questions (each up to a maximum of 300 words):
      1. Introduce us to a topic you know about and explain why it interests you
      2. Explain why you’re interested in pursuing a career at Herbert Smith Freehills
      3. What skills, qualities and attributes would you bring to the role?

Lalis

Star Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
    Jan 30, 2020
    Mishcon has opened their vac scheme apps today, the questions are as follows:

What interests you about working in this role / team? (200 words max)*

Please could you discuss a current legal case that recently caught your attention. Why does this interest you and what are the implications? (This does not necessarily have to be a Mishcon case) (300 words max)*
    Just checked the app form on cvmail, I think they have edited the first question and asked candidates to answer 3q now.

• ℹ️
    Reactions: OB and ellwilsen

AK105

Esteemed Member
  • Mar 7, 2021
    How do you prepare before of we don't know the questions yet? appreciate any help :)
    I mean you can make a calculated guess on what the questions are gonna be. I really love commercial law, so I will put in all this effort into my apps. Furthermore. I have not got good grades so I have to work extra hard on my application to balance it out.

SebKru10

Star Member
    Apr 15, 2021
    Hi everyone! :)

Does anyone have any knowledge as to how 'current' the 'current legal case that recently caught your attention' need to be to fit in the definition for the Mishcon application?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi everyone! :)

Does anyone have any knowledge as to how 'current' the 'current legal case that recently caught your attention' need to be to fit in the definition for the Mishcon application?
    Within 6 months ideally. If it is something more unique, you could push it to 12 months.

AspiringSolicitor99

Standard Member
  • Jan 3, 2020
    Hi!

When filling up the work experience section of vacation scheme applications, is it best to write in prose or are bullet points equally effective? For my first-year scheme applications, I largely duplicated the bullet points (achievement-focused instead of skill/learning-focused) from my CV into the work section but am wondering whether I should write all of them out in prose.

I have a significant amount of work experience and hence am looking for advice on whether this would be a worthwhile endeavour or whether any difference would be marginal.

Thank you!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi!

When filling up the work experience section of vacation scheme applications, is it best to write in prose or are bullet points equally effective? For my first-year scheme applications, I largely duplicated the bullet points (achievement-focused instead of skill/learning-focused) from my CV into the work section but am wondering whether I should write all of them out in prose.

I have a significant amount of work experience and hence am looking for advice on whether this would be a worthwhile endeavour or whether any difference would be marginal.

Thank you!
    I’d go with prose unless you can format the application form with bullet points

in the same way
    you can format text in this forum​

golden99

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Jan 1, 2021
    Hi, Can someone please confirm that Baker Mckenzie will be use the Watson Glaser test. (Their website just mentions online test but does not mention which one)

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.