TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

jv1999

Star Member
Junior Lawyer
Aug 11, 2021
Has anyone got an email from A&O stating that you haven't done the SJT in the 48 hour window even though you have completed the test and the final webpage said that the test had been successfully completed and submitted?

lilyrebecca

Aug 25, 2021
Just checked the app form on cvmail, I think they have edited the first question and asked candidates to answer 3q now.
Hi, does cvmail only let you add six lots of work experience? I have nine experiences I'd like to add, and am also not sure which to prioritise. Three are legal but unpaid, four are paid but not legal and two are neither legal nor paid. Thanks :)

djqb

Legendary Member
Sep 6, 2020
Hi, does cvmail only let you add six lots of work experience? I have nine experiences I'd like to add, and am also not sure which to prioritise. Three are legal but unpaid, four are paid but not legal and two are neither legal nor paid. Thanks :)
Yeah on most of my CVmail apps I've only been able to add a maximum of 6 work experiences

Reactions: lilyrebecca

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Go with the ones that have been the most challenging or for the longest period of time. It doesn’t really matter if they were paid or not, and actually doesn’t matter if they are legal or not (although I’d probably try and include some legal entries). The main thing is picking the experiences that have pushed you the most or that have taken the most commitment.

Reactions: lilyrebecca

M777

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Jul 15, 2019
Has anyone got an email from A&O stating that you haven't done the SJT in the 48 hour window even though you have completed the test and the final webpage said that the test had been successfully completed and submitted?
I called them about this - it's a system error. They will have received your SJT results- dw

Celestie

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
2020 Community Winner
  • Nov 14, 2020
    Best of luck everyone! Happy to support/answer any questions. My DM is always open.

Hunger Games Odds GIF

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hello @Jessica Booker,

I have completed 19 modules in my undergraduate degree, where two have been optional so far. Do I need to list all of them on my CV, or just the core modules and my two optional modules.

Many Thanks,
    Rij
    You’d need to complete them all if you can. The alternative is to upload your transcript (if you can upload a document) and make it clear you have only listed X number of modules in the actual application.

s10

Distinguished Member
    Oct 1, 2020
    Hello.
    I am a bit confused about how I should answer Ashurst' new application questions : Please summarise for us what a commercial lawyer does (250 words max)*

Should I be discussing the role of a solicitor and then linking it back to my own skills? Or should I continue to stick to answering only what the questions asks without necessarily linking it back to myself?

Thank you!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hello.
    I am a bit confused about how I should answer Ashurst' new application questions : Please summarise for us what a commercial lawyer does (250 words max)*

Should I be discussing the role of a solicitor and then linking it back to my own skills? Or should I continue to stick to answering only what the questions asks without necessarily linking it back to myself?

Thank you!
    I’d just focus on the question. If they wanted to know your skills they would be asking for it. With this, they just want to understand what you know about the job or what you focus on as being the important parts of the job.

Reactions: Celestie

Melanie97

Sep 1, 2021
    Hiya, I have completed three virtual internships - would you include them as three lots of work experience, combine them into one, or not as work experience at all? Would really appreciate some help if poss!

Reactions: TJ370
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.