TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

John Travoni

Legendary Member
Jan 14, 2021
Hiya, I have completed three virtual internships - would you include them as three lots of work experience, combine them into one, or not as work experience at all? Would really appreciate some help if poss!
If you completed these virtual internships with forage, then you are NOT allowed to count them as work experience. It’s one of the terms and conditions they give when you complete it.
Hope that’s useful

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
their website says rolling, and on the application page it says they will only contact successful applicants. This is confusing!
Sounds like they reject on a rolling basis but then hold candidates until the end that they think they might be interested in, but want to assess against the full applicant pool.

BiancaM

Distinguished Member
  • Apr 10, 2021
    If you completed these virtual internships with forage, then you are NOT allowed to count them as work experience. It’s one of the terms and conditions they give when you complete it.
    Hope that’s useful
    sorry! just wanted to clarify, forage stipulates that these should not be included as work experience? i thought the point of doing these internships was to enhance applications and demonstrate you're gaining legal experience?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    sorry! just wanted to clarify, forage stipulates that these should not be included as work experience? i thought the point of doing these internships was to enhance applications and demonstrate you're gaining legal experience?
    It does enhance your application and demonstrate you are educating yourself about the legal world. It also shows your proactiveness. But Forage in particular state (and you agree to it when you sign up) that you shouldn’t include it in work experience sections. There’s plenty of other areas in an application that you can include it though.

Rachael.Elisa

Distinguished Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Jun 15, 2021
    Apologies if this question has already been asked, but I've looked through the previous pages and couldn't find the answer. Where do open days/virtual forage experiences/first year events go on VS applications? Should I group them together under one heading in the activities and achievements section?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Apologies if this question has already been asked, but I've looked through the previous pages and couldn't find the answer. Where do open days/virtual forage experiences/first year events go on VS applications? Should I group them together under one heading in the activities and achievements section?
    Depends on the structure of the application.

If a CV, I would create its own section titled something like “E-learning” or “Careers activities”.

Some firms have questions specifically about events or how you have learnt more about the industry - so that could be a good place.

They could be referenced in cover letters or extra curricular activities too though.

Reactions: Rachael.Elisa

Rachael.Elisa

Distinguished Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Jun 15, 2021
    Depends on the structure of the application.

If a CV, I would create its own section titled something like “E-learning” or “Careers activities”.

Some firms have questions specifically about events or how you have learnt more about the industry - so that could be a good place.

They could be referenced in cover letters or extra curricular activities too though.
    Thank you, I have included a section like this on my CV, but the form I'm completing only has a work experience section or activities and achievements section. I think it's best to put them together as one 'activity' in that case.

Law2022

Legendary Member
    May 3, 2020
    A&O system is so strange, where do I input the modules I sat in my undergrad and what I graduated with? The modules/ subjects you wish to record only has a-level & GCSE or equivalent on its dropdown?

OB

Legendary Member
    2020 Community Winner
    Junior Lawyer
  • Feb 10, 2020
    A&O system is so strange, where do I input the modules I sat in my undergrad and what I graduated with? The modules/ subjects you wish to record only has a-level & GCSE or equivalent on its dropdown?
    It'll be in the higher education section (page after secondary education)

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Thank you, I have included a section like this on my CV, but the form I'm completing only has a work experience section or activities and achievements section. I think it's best to put them together as one 'activity' in that case.
    Sounds like a good approach

Asil Ahmad

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Forum Winner
  • Mar 29, 2020
    The application question for Covington is Why would you like to pursue a career as a solicitor at Covington & Burling LLP?

For this question do you have to talk about why you want to be a solicitor also or just discuss why Covington.

ZaraB

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Dec 13, 2020
    Did anyone have an issue opening up a new Bird & Bird application form (Spring/Summer Vacation Scheme 2022) from an account they already used to apply to Bird & Bird previously? For some reason it only shows up my old application form.. Do I need to use a different email?

Reactions: OB

Asil Ahmad

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Forum Winner
  • Mar 29, 2020
    Did anyone have an issue opening up a new Bird & Bird application form (Spring/Summer Vacation Scheme 2022) from an account they already used to apply to Bird & Bird previously? For some reason it only shows up my old application form.. Do I need to use a different email?
    I have the same issue does this mean we can't apply for them again this year if we applied for them last year.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.