TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi everyone, I am currently working on DLA's application, and although they don't require a cover letter I submitted one last time and made it to the AC. So thought I'd submit one again. I wanted to ask how long a cover letter should be? Mine is about 800 words or 2 pages long with 1.5 line spacing. I've structured it as why law, why dla, why me/how I took the ac feedback positively on board and improved.
If they don't require a cover letter, I don't think this is the best use of time. Your application is unlikely to have been successful because you Su

• ℹ️
Reactions: OB, M777 and O

Rob93

Legendary Member
Dec 29, 2020
Anyone know if we need to provide our details in the heading for the Slaughters cover letter? Seems an awful waste of space for something strictly limited to one side of A4

hopefullawyer101

Legendary Member
Feb 25, 2021
Could anyone help me with how you would approach this question (the first is what skills you have developed through work/ extra curricular etc): Outline how you would apply these skills to the trainee role at A&O, in order to be successful. (250 words).

Should you discuss tasks you would do or problems you would face?

Reactions: ScrappyDoo

LEL

Legendary Member
Junior Lawyer
Jul 22, 2020
Could anyone help me with how you would approach this question (the first is what skills you have developed through work/ extra curricular etc): Outline how you would apply these skills to the trainee role at A&O, in order to be successful. (250 words).

Should you discuss tasks you would do or problems you would face?
I would take the skills you mentioned in your response to the first question and apply them to typical trainee tasks or situations you'd face. Also think of things unique to A&O, since that shows you understand their training programme above others.

Reactions: Dheepa and Rob93

tt_xo

Valued Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Oct 20, 2020
Hi @Jessica Booker, I completed my SJT test for A&O but they emailed me saying i have 48 hours to complete it. I emailed the grad rec telling them I had completed it, and if they can confirm they have received it, but they haven't got back to me confirming that they received my test. Do you think I should call them? I know there was a similar issue with their SJT tests yesterday.

hopefullawyer101

Legendary Member
Feb 25, 2021
Hi @Jessica Booker, I completed my SJT test for A&O but they emailed me saying i have 48 hours to complete it. I emailed the grad rec telling them I had completed it, and if they can confirm they have received it, but they haven't got back to me confirming that they received my test. Do you think I should call them? I know there was a similar issue with their SJT tests yesterday.
Hey can I ASK HOW YOU approached the second part of A&O app about applying skills as trainee

Reactions: ScrappyDoo

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
When did you email?

Rachael.Elisa

Distinguished Member
Junior Lawyer
Jun 15, 2021
If an application question is asking why you want to be a lawyer, is it asking purely about your motivations? Or is it necessary to also outline why your skills and experience makes you suitable for the role?

sm2020

Distinguished Member
Junior Lawyer
Feb 2, 2021
Hey, I had the same issue last week and I emailed them and I got a response saying they are having issues with automated emails being sent out saying that you haven't completed the test yet but to not worry as they have received it!

tt_xo

Valued Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Oct 20, 2020
Hey, I had the same issue last week and I emailed them and I got a response saying they are having issues with automated emails being sent out saying that you haven't completed the test yet but to not worry as they have received it!
Thank you for letting me know!

LEL

Legendary Member
Junior Lawyer
Jul 22, 2020
Does anyone have an updated list of which vac scheme apps are open?

Reactions: M777 and ScrappyDoo
Status
Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.