TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

TM

Gold Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
Dec 23, 2019
In the A&O application, it asks to confirm that 'I am only permitted to apply once in any 12 month period for either a Training Contract or a Vacation Scheme. Please note that you are eligible to apply to multiple regional offices in the same year, but must make the relevant recruitment teams aware. If it is discovered that you have applied for more than one opportunity at the London office in a recruitment cycle, your application will be withdrawn regardless of the stage you have reached.'

If I applied last December in the previous cycle, can I submit my application now for this cycle?

OB

Legendary Member
2020 Community Winner
Junior Lawyer
  • Feb 10, 2020
    In the A&O application, it asks to confirm that 'I am only permitted to apply once in any 12 month period for either a Training Contract or a Vacation Scheme. Please note that you are eligible to apply to multiple regional offices in the same year, but must make the relevant recruitment teams aware. If it is discovered that you have applied for more than one opportunity at the London office in a recruitment cycle, your application will be withdrawn regardless of the stage you have reached.'

If I applied last December in the previous cycle, can I submit my application now for this cycle?
    Yes

• 🤝
    Reactions: Dheepa and TM

M777

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Jul 15, 2019
    Reactions: LEL

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    If an application question is asking why you want to be a lawyer, is it asking purely about your motivations? Or is it necessary to also outline why your skills and experience makes you suitable for the role?
    Just asking you why you want to do it, not why you would be good at it.

Reactions: Rachael.Elisa

Asil Ahmad

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Forum Winner
  • Mar 29, 2020
    Irwin Mitchell is moving to SJT and away from the long application questions. Weil is doing their open day in person. Debevoise assesses people in the assessment centre through an open day. I found out all of this Legal Cheek open day law fair today and thought should post this information here.

Dheepa

Legendary Member
    Staff member
    Future Trainee
    TCLA Moderator
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    M&A Bootcamp
    Junior Lawyer 43
  • Jan 20, 2019
    Hi everyone, I'm just wondering if I encounter a 'Introduce us to a topic you know about and explain why it interests you' question, do they only accept or would greatly desire a response around a legal topic? As background — I am a non-law student.

I have written about my interest in astrology for this kind of question. The more genuine your answer, the better! Conversely, don't try to force yourself to write about something completely out of the box either!

Reactions: TC fiend and OB

Dheepa

Legendary Member
    Staff member
    Future Trainee
    TCLA Moderator
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    M&A Bootcamp
    Junior Lawyer 43
  • Jan 20, 2019
    Anyone know if we need to provide our details in the heading for the Slaughters cover letter? Seems an awful waste of space for something strictly limited to one side of A4

No you don't! Just a simple, "Dear X," would suffice. (If I'm not mistaken you're supposed to address it to a Ms. Janine Arnold)

Reactions: Rob93

Dheepa

Legendary Member
    Staff member
    Future Trainee
    TCLA Moderator
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    M&A Bootcamp
    Junior Lawyer 43
  • Jan 20, 2019
    If an application question is asking why you want to be a lawyer, is it asking purely about your motivations? Or is it necessary to also outline why your skills and experience makes you suitable for the role?

Purely motivational, but you'd probably be backing up your motivations with your experiences or highlighting skills you gained from those experiences that translate into commercial law too.

Reactions: Rachael.Elisa

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Anyone know if we need to provide our details in the heading for the Slaughters cover letter? Seems an awful waste of space for something strictly limited to one side of A4
    Use their full address and date it. You don’t have to include your name and address though as you would do in a formal letter (we know future trainees who have done this).

Reactions: Rob93

PM2021

Star Member
    Dec 18, 2020
    Hey, I have a general question. For applications that ask for work experience and do not prescribe a word limit, what is the ideal way of entering? Bullet points of paragraphs? And what should be the appropriate length?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hey, I have a general question. For applications that ask for work experience and do not prescribe a word limit, what is the ideal way of entering? Bullet points of paragraphs? And what should be the appropriate length?
    Prose/paragraphs unless you can format the text with bullet points within the application form (eg the application form has the functionality for you to add bullet points).

KerC14

Valued Member
    Jan 26, 2020
    Irwin Mitchell is moving to SJT and away from the long application questions. Weil is doing their open day in person. Debevoise assesses people in the assessment centre through an open day. I found out all of this Legal Cheek open day law fair today and thought should post this information here.
    Did IM say if they were moving to SJT for this upcoming cycle?

OB

Legendary Member
    2020 Community Winner
    Junior Lawyer
  • Feb 10, 2020
    Took a much needed break from everything application related and trying to hit the ground running this cycle!

Applied to Linklaters for the third time yesterday, I guess I just love the feeling of rejection :')

I'm on my third time too. Third time lucky?
    I'd love to know what the magic formula is for their test. I'll probably give it a go for the third time this cycle too haha

Reactions: KerC14 and M777
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.