TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

WillF

Star Member
Jul 31, 2021
Hey everyone,

For Slaughter and May summer VS, I am assuming as a student going into his penultimate year i dont need to fill out the details for LPC/GDL?

On the key it automatically comes under 'There are some incomplete optional fields', but I am assuming this is just because you dont need to fill it out unless you're due to begin/have begun etc?

@Jessica Booker

Thanks!

M777

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Jul 15, 2019
For A&O, I've submitted application but haven't received a confirmation email or anything, should I be concerned?
I didn't get a confirmation email so dw- I just got an SJT invite not long after applying. I'm pretty sure SJT is automatic

PS you might get an email a few days after completing SJT saying that you haven't completed it, and that you need to do it within 24 hours or else your app will be withdrawn. Don't worry about this as everyone has had the same problem!

• 🤝
Reactions: OB and hopefullawyer101

hopefullawyer101

Legendary Member
Feb 25, 2021
I didn't get a confirmation email so dw- I just got an SJT invite not long after applying. I'm pretty sure SJT is automatic

PS you might get an email a few days after completing SJT saying that you haven't completed it, and that you need to do it within 24 hours or else your app will be withdrawn. Don't worry about this as everyone has had the same problem!
Any advice for the numerical test? Feeling VERY rusty and a bit concerned about this

Rob93

Legendary Member
Dec 29, 2020
Hey everyone,

For Slaughter and May summer VS, I am assuming as a student going into his penultimate year i dont need to fill out the details for LPC/GDL?

On the key it automatically comes under 'There are some incomplete optional fields', but I am assuming this is just because you dont need to fill it out unless you're due to begin/have begun etc?

@Jessica Booker

Thanks!
Yeah all of Slaughters' forms have things that might not be applicable and don't need to be filled if that's the case. As long as you've put in everything that pertains to your situation you're fine.

Reactions: WillF

M777

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Jul 15, 2019
Any advice for the numerical test? Feeling VERY rusty and a bit concerned about this
I did SJT a while ago so I can't remember specifics, but I agree that you really need to take your time with it. I'm pretty terrible at maths but I managed to brave through it, I'd just say to make sure you have a calculator on hand. It only really tests numerical reasoning skills, not complex maths, so if you take your time and have a calculator + notepad on hand you'll be okay

M777

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Jul 15, 2019
Hi guys. Does anyone have any insight as to how NRF wants their cover letter structured this year?
They want you to include why NRF and why you'd be a good commercial lawyer, but other than that, I think it's just your typical cover letter. Last year, I structured mine as why commercial law > why NRF > why me and I got through to AC. I submitted a new app yesterday and followed a similar structure.

As long as you explain your motivations for NRF and your skills clearly, you should be okay

Reactions: WillF

M777

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Jul 15, 2019
They want you to include why NRF and why you'd be a good commercial lawyer, but other than that, I think it's just your typical cover letter. Last year, I structured mine as why commercial law > why NRF > why me and I got through to AC. I submitted a new app yesterday and followed a similar structure.

As long as you explain your motivations for NRF and your skills clearly, you should be okay
also I think NRF is very strict on typos so watch out for that

BeGrateful.101

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
Junior Lawyer
  • Aug 1, 2021
    Did A&O change their SJT test format from last year
    Season 5 No GIF by The Office

Reactions: OB

Hamilton

Star Member
    M&A Bootcamp
    Oct 8, 2018

also I think NRF is very strict on typos so watch out for that
    Ah perfect, thanks a lot for this. Super helpful.

LEL

Legendary Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Jul 22, 2020

Did you shorten to NRF?

M777

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Jul 15, 2019
    On the SJT part, do you think there's any use practising other SJT's first (like on websites)?
    Personally, I've never seen the need to practise for SJTs. They primarily test your personality and how you'd deal with everyday work situations, so grad rec aren't really looking for set answers. As long as you don't give off any massive red flags and you use common sense, you'll be fine.

With regards to the numerical reasoning parts of the SJT, you might find generic numerical reasoning tests online- but I don't think they'd be at all similar to the questions A&O ask

Reactions: hopefullawyer101
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.