TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

futuretraineesolicitor

Legendary Member
Forum Winner
Dec 14, 2019
Hi @Esporia, @Melanie97 and @LEL. Congratulations all on completing your Forage programs! However, you cannot reference these as work experience. Forage has a very strict policy on this, as do the partnered firms which run these programs through Forage. The following is quoted from their referencing policy handbook:

'You must not include any Virtual Experience Program as work experience or employment on your CV.' (emphasis added by Forage)

You can, however, reference these on your CV as 'extracurricular activities'. I hope that helps. :)
Toby from CC in the recent Vantage session talked about this and from what I remember, I think he clearly mentioned that we can add this to the work ex section. Because, there isn't an explicit section that asks for your extra-curriculars and since the app has largely been truncated down to just one question regarding your achievements, I don't think that the Forage schemes will fit there either. Please correct me if I'm wrong but why would Toby mention it during Vantage is something to ponder over.

Reactions: Rob93

Rob93

Legendary Member
Dec 29, 2020
In 'why law/why this firm/why you' questions and cover letters, is it appropriate to go beyond the training stage and talk about the appeal of general career progression and post-qualification opportunities with the firm?

Rob93

Legendary Member
Dec 29, 2020
Toby from CC in the recent Vantage session talked about this and from what I remember, I think he clearly mentioned that we can add this to the work ex section. Because, there isn't an explicit section that asks for your extra-curriculars and since the app has largely been truncated down to just one question regarding your achievements, I don't think that the Forage schemes will fit there either. Please correct me if I'm wrong but why would Toby mention it during Vantage is something to ponder over.
I've also heard grad rec people say that they're happy to see Forage experiences in WE sections of applications.
Please correct me if I'm wrong, but as best I recall the Forage policy is silent on the question of VS/TC application forms. It insists that people not list their Forage activities as work history on LinkedIn and CVs, presumably to avoid the risk of people - even accidentally - holding themselves out as having done a proper internship at any of the partner companies. For application forms, it's probably best to check with each target firm and ask how/if they want Forage experiences to be recorded.

• ℹ️
Reactions: futuretraineesolicitor

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
In 'why law/why this firm/why you' questions and cover letters, is it appropriate to go beyond the training stage and talk about the appeal of general career progression and post-qualification opportunities with the firm?
Yes, you can cover this as long as it isn’t over emphasised (eg it suggests you are only interested in reaching partnership).

Reactions: Rob93

futuretraineesolicitor

Legendary Member
Forum Winner
Dec 14, 2019
I've also heard grad rec people say that they're happy to see Forage experiences in WE sections of applications.
Please correct me if I'm wrong, but as best I recall the Forage policy is silent on the question of VS/TC application forms. It insists that people not list their Forage activities as work history on LinkedIn and CVs, presumably to avoid the risk of people - even accidentally - holding themselves out as having done a proper internship at any of the partner companies. For application forms, it's probably best to check with each target firm and ask how/if they want Forage experiences to be recorded.
I think you're right. @Jessica Booker could you give us something conclusive here that speaks for all firms?

BeGrateful.101

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
Junior Lawyer
  • Aug 1, 2021
    Has anyone applied for the Linklaters Winter vac scheme?
    Just wondering if you get sent an automatic WG test and CAPP test report when you submit the application?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Technically the terms sit with Forage not to include it - when you complete a Forage programme you basically sign/tick something that says you won’t include it in work experience. So it shouldn’t really matter what the firm says you should/shouldn’t do, you should be doing what you have agreed to with Forage (even if it isn’t enforceable).

I think there are plenty of ways in can be included in an application form without it being in a work experience section though.

Rob93

Legendary Member
    Dec 29, 2020
    Technically the terms sit with Forage not to include it - when you complete a Forage programme you basically sign/tick something that says you won’t include it in work experience. So it shouldn’t really matter what the firm says you should/shouldn’t do, you should be doing what you have agreed to with Forage (even if it isn’t enforceable).

I think there are plenty of ways in can be included in an application form without it being in a work experience section though.
    My point though is that the terms supplied by Forage address LinkedIn/CV use, and are silent on the point of application form work experience. I've emailed their help desk for clarification on their policy and will report back here when I receive a response.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    My point though is that the terms supplied by Forage address LinkedIn/CV use, and are silent on the point of application form work experience. I've emailed their help desk for clarification on their policy and will report back here when I receive a response.
    That would still apply to application forms. It’s very clear they do not see it as work experience and therefore are telling you not to claim it as such in any format. Instead you should claim it as a form of training/certification.

It’s very simple - just reference it elsewhere in your application, just not your work experience sections, whether that is a CV, LinkedIn profile or an application form.

Last edited:
    Reactions: OB and Rob93

OB

Legendary Member
    2020 Community Winner
    Junior Lawyer
  • Feb 10, 2020
    Does anyone know the HSF application questions as I can't sign into my account it says my account is locked right now.
    The website says the question are these:
    1. Introduce us to a topic you know about and explain why it interests you
    2. Explain why you’re interested in pursuing a career at Herbert Smith Freehills
    3. What skills, qualities and attributes would you bring to the role?

My account is locked too so take these with a pinch of salt

BeGrateful.101

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
    Junior Lawyer
  • Aug 1, 2021
    The website says the question are these:
    1. Introduce us to a topic you know about and explain why it interests you
    2. Explain why you’re interested in pursuing a career at Herbert Smith Freehills
    3. What skills, qualities and attributes would you bring to the role?

My account is locked too so take these with a pinch of salt
    Why is all our accounts locked -_- like what's happening with HSF? LOL

• Haha
    Reactions: Asil Ahmad and OB
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.