TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Esporia

• Sep 9, 2021
    Hiya, I have completed three virtual internships - would you include them as three lots of work experience, combine them into one, or not as work experience at all? Would really appreciate some help if poss!
    Combine them all into one!
    I'm in the same situation. If i was applying for a first-year scheme at Clifford Chance, should i only include the virtual internship I did with them, or the other two? I felt like only the CC one helps me substantiate my answer for the "why this firm" question. But I have no experience so id like the opinion of someone more experienced than myself :)

LS12

Legendary Member
    Junior Lawyer
  • Apr 22, 2020
    How would you describe webinars hosted by law firms for clients? I know there is a specific name for these types of webinars but I can't think of it

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi all, I was wondering if it is alright to use the acronym 'SMEs' instead of 'small and medium-sized enterprises' to save words on my application form? @Jessica Booker what are your thoughts?
    Depends on how you are writing it. SME’s can also be subject matter experts which is also regularly used, so it needs to be clear that you mean this version of the acronym.

lawgal101

Esteemed Member
    Feb 12, 2021
    Anyone aware as to when PWC open up their vac scheme applications, can't find it anywhere? Their grad schemes have opened up so would have hoped that legal VS' would have opened up too 😩

George.E.

May 26, 2021
    Hi @Esporia, @Melanie97 and @LEL. Congratulations all on completing your Forage programs! However, you cannot reference these as work experience. Forage has a very strict policy on this, as do the partnered firms which run these programs through Forage. The following is quoted from their referencing policy handbook:

'You must not include any Virtual Experience Program as work experience or employment on your CV.' (emphasis added by Forage)

You can, however, reference these on your CV as 'extracurricular activities'. I hope that helps. :)
    I'm in the same situation. If i was applying for a first-year scheme at Clifford Chance, should i only include the virtual internship I did with them, or the other two? I felt like only the CC one helps me substantiate my answer for the "why this firm" question. But I have no experience so id like the opinion of someone more experienced than myself :)

Reactions: Esporia

Rob93

Legendary Member
    Dec 29, 2020
    General question re: 'proudest achievement' type questions - my go-to example is a bit dated now and revolves around an initiative I spearheaded at the end of my undergraduate in 2018. Since graduating I've moved to London from overseas, done the GDL, done an LLM and spent time working, but haven't done much I really consider remarkable outside of academic achievement. Is something I did 3+ years ago now too stale?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    General question re: 'proudest achievement' type questions - my go-to example is a bit dated now and revolves around an initiative I spearheaded at the end of my undergraduate in 2018. Since graduating I've moved to London from overseas, done the GDL, done an LLM and spent time working, but haven't done much I really consider remarkable outside of academic achievement. Is something I did 3+ years ago now too stale?
    Perfectly fine. A proudest achievement doesn’t have a time limit on it - you just pick the best example

Asil Ahmad

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Forum Winner
  • Mar 29, 2020
    If you were to introduce a new law what would it be. For this application question, I was thinking of discussing the Combined Code should become law instead of the comply or explain the principle. What do you lot think about this.

Rob93

Legendary Member
    Dec 29, 2020
    If you were to introduce a new law what would it be. For this application question, I was thinking of discussing the Combined Code should become law instead of the comply or explain the principle. What do you lot think about this.
    Why should the combined code be legislated? Counterarguments would be that the City is more competitive if it's flexible; industry self-regulation will tend to be more flexible than legislative edict; there would be a substantial administrative burden (including associated costs) if there was a move to state oversight; the expertise currently available at the FRC could be difficult to reproduce in a state body; existing funding structures could be harder to justify in the context of state regulation. A useful point of comparison which has enjoyed a lot of attention would probably be the status of the Takeover Panel/Code and how that slots into the company law apparatus.

Rob93

Legendary Member
    Dec 29, 2020
    I think you need to start with a compelling case that the current regime is inadequate, formulate an alternative and dispatch substantive objections.

Asil Ahmad

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Forum Winner
  • Mar 29, 2020
    Why should the combined code be legislated? Counterarguments would be that the City is more competitive if it's flexible; industry self-regulation will tend to be more flexible than legislative edict; there would be a substantial administrative burden (including associated costs) if there was a move to state oversight; the expertise currently available at the FRC could be difficult to reproduce in a state body; existing funding structures could be harder to justify in the context of state regulation. A useful point of comparison which has enjoyed a lot of attention would probably be the status of the Takeover Panel/Code and how that slots into the company law apparatus.
    I agree with everything you said and agree with the flexibility but this came to mind when thinking about a new law and could lead to negative impacts on investors.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.